Search

Relo to GA - hoping for ATL advice

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2018, 6:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, 1MM, HHonors Diamond, Emerald Executive
Relo to GA - hoping for ATL advice

Hello,

I will be soon relocating to reside well north of Atlanta and will be flying out of ATL 2 to 3 times per month. I hoped some expert ATL flyers might lend some advice on some questions I have:

- I will be living north of the MARTA North Springs station and wonder if using that is a good choice instead of driving and parking at ATL. I see the daily rate is $8.00 which seems very reasonable however I wonder if folks find this method too slow to get to ATL. (i.e. too many stops) Maybe folks find it easier to just drive all the way in?

- If folks suggest driving to ATL, is there a suggestion on parking there? Are the offsite parking vendors preferable to using the ATL lots themselves?

- What about time of day? I do have flexibility on my departure and arrival times so should I stay away from certain times because of traffic and security lines?

- Any thoughts about entering the airport on the international side vs. domestic? any advantage of that?

Thanks in advance. I'm sure I will figure out these things over time but hoped some ATL veterans might lend some advice.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
Originally Posted by srq_flyer
I will be living north of the MARTA North Springs station and wonder if using that is a good choice instead of driving and parking at ATL.
The biggest caveat is that, after 8:30 PM, MARTA's Red line only runs between North Springs and Lindbergh ... so if you are leaving the airport after 8:30 PM, you will have to change trains at the Lindbergh station. It's an easy, same platform change, but it will cost you a few minutes.
- What about time of day? I do have flexibility on my departure and arrival times so should I stay away from certain times because of traffic and security lines?
I try to avoid afternoon and evening flights during the summer, because of frequent thunderstorms . (Also note, that in ATL, "summer" is March thru October.)
Old Aug 29, 2018, 8:59 am

Hello,

I will be soon relocating to reside well north of Atlanta and will be flying out of ATL 2 to 3 times per month. I hoped some expert ATL flyers might lend some advice on some questions I have:

- I will be living north of the MARTA North Springs station and wonder if using that is a good choice instead of driving and parking at ATL. I see the daily rate is $8.00 which seems very reasonable however I wonder if folks find this method too slow to get to ATL. (i.e. too many stops) Maybe folks find it easier to just drive all the way in?

- If folks suggest driving to ATL, is there a suggestion on parking there? Are the offsite parking vendors preferable to using the ATL lots themselves?

- Any thoughts about entering the airport on the international side vs. domestic? any advantage of that?

Thanks in advance. I'm sure I will figure out these things over time but hoped some ATL veterans might lend some advice.
It’s about a 45 minute train ride from North Springs to the Airport and same for way back. After 8:30 you’ll have to stop at Lindbergh. This will be faster than driving depending on time of day.

Atlanta’s security does a good enough job and if you have PreCheck/Clear you will be through security in <20 minutes (4/5 times)

There are are plenty of parking options from onsite to offsite covered. Ranging from $8-$20. There are a couple parking locations that only drop off at international so keep an eye out.

International tends to be faster in terms of security, but it’s frowned upon to check a bag for domestic travel there. Also, I have seen international terminal close the PreCheck lines during certain hours, so also remember that if you are like me and hate taking shoes off, laptop out, etc.

Old Aug 29, 2018, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
It depends on time of day. North Springs to Airport on Marta is a reliable 45-minute ride, with trains 12-20 minutes apart depending on time of day. North Springs to airport by car can be 28 minutes at 6 on a Saturday morning, or up to 90 minutes at 8 on a weekday morning.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 9:15 am

Programs: Delta, Hilton, Hertz
I usually park at preflight. It's reasonably priced and I earn free parking days for my leisure trips. Like said above. Get TSA Pre and clear. I have found that going thru security at 6 or 7a is manageable on any day. It's been years since I rode MARTA. I don't really know many locals who use it. But I remember it being a pita.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 10:20 am

Programs: HH-Diamond, IHG-Plat, DL-DM, PnF Plat, Kroger +
For parking you have plenty of option. I have been using ParkNFly for many years. you accumulate free days for every 7 days paid parking.
I don't live near MARTA so I can't comment.
I normally like to depart ATL no later than 4pm, this way I can get thru ATL or 285 without any traffic issues. On the return, I either land in ATL no later than 2pm or wait and land at 7pm so I don't have to deal with the traffic.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 11:11 am

I have flipped back and forth over the years between Marta and driving myself. Lately I have pretty much gone to "take Marta" . Traffic is getting worse all the time and Marta gets me there in about 30 minutes (I catch the train at Brookhaven so I am closer in than OP) Even at times like the middle of the day it's often a 45 minute drive and sometimes worse.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 11:18 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Someone mentioned domestic bag checking being frowned upon at international - not in my experience - you can drop either domestic or international at either side without any frowning

MARTA airport station is right inside and past baggage claim in the domestic side. Pretty efficient and generally delay free.

Airport has 4 tiers of parking themselves:
*Hourly ($19/day), daily ($16), economy ($14), and park and ride ($10)

I like the airport branded park and ride lots at ATL. These are ideal because it's the closest park and ride lot (less walking than parking in economy parking at the terminal), they pick up at your car with constant shuttles, and drop you even closer to DL than MARTA - right at DL curbside check in.

Then, they have multiple shuttles waiting to drive even individual passengers arriving late (24/7), they drop you right at the car, and the drivers are courteous and wait at night with their lights on until you're inside your car.

If it's worth the drive then the extra $2 per day may be worth parking at the airport and having your own car versus enjoying some of the customers you run into on any public transport sometimes
Old Aug 29, 2018, 1:10 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Bonvoy Titanium Elite Lifetime
Parking at North Springs has at times been full so be aware during peak travel dates. Also it may depend on where north of the NS station you live. I live at the southern end of Forsyth county and getting to the NS station during peak commute time can be 2/3rds of the travel time to the airport.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 2:29 pm

MARTA stops only at domestic so you will need to take a 15- minute busride to get to F (International) if you choose to clear security there. It’s much easier if you take MARTA to clear security at domestic and then take the airside train to F.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 7:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, 1MM, HHonors Diamond, Emerald Executive
Thank you all for your input. I appreciate the insights and experience!
Old Aug 30, 2018, 7:52 am

Programs: Delta DM 3+MM
Welcome to Atlanta. All the above are right on point. Once you've had your first adventure to the airport, you'll know what you want to do. Traffic is horrendous here and travelling GA400 then I 75/85 will definitely enhance your experience.

My first day of reporting to work I was late. Came down from Marietta to downtown. Knew then I didn't want to live there. So I moved closer intown. I use the Lindbergh MARTA stop (someone above mentioned that you would transfer to the NS station from here if needed). If I travel during regular "traffic work hours" which seem to be between 6am to 7pm, I take the train.

The train is a really easy way to get to the airport since it literally ends in the airport terminal. All trains departing the airport (two tracks side by side) going north pass through Lindbergh station so you have the option of either waiting at the airport for your choice or riding to Lindbergh and transferring (one track so you just wait for the next train).
Old Aug 30, 2018, 9:12 am

Transfering at Lindbergh is no big deal and shouldn’t really affect your decision. You literally get off one train and get on another one without moving. It’s not like London’s tube or anything where you have to walk anywhere. Or you just simply wait for the second train at ATL and go right through without getting off.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 9:32 am

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Eddie98
For parking you have plenty of option. I have been using ParkNFly for many years. you accumulate free days for every 7 days paid parking.
I don't live near MARTA so I can't comment.
I normally like to depart ATL no later than 4pm, this way I can get thru ATL or 285 without any traffic issues. On the return, I either land in ATL no later than 2pm or wait and land at 7pm so I don't have to deal with the traffic.
I also recommend Park N Fly. There are two lots and I use the Park N Fly Plus service which is normally $13.25/day for covered parking. If you are a Costco member, you can pick up vouchers there that make covered parking $8/day.

I like MARTA also, but it does take about an hour to travel from North Springs to ATL, which often can be longer than driving to the airport if there is no traffic. If you're going at peak traffic time, take MARTA.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
I've stopped driving to the airport. Offsite parking is a hassle and the daily lots seem to always be full at the times I arrive.

Nowadays I use a combination of Uber/MARTA. Even with traffic, Uber tends to work well because you can use HOV lanes and curbside dropoff saves the time of searching for a parking spot or riding a parking shuttle. Or if I'm really worried about traffic, I'll Uber to a MARTA station and then ride in from there. Upon return, I'll either exit the int'l terminal to get picked up, or I'll ride MARTA up toward my house and Uber the rest of the way from there.

Altogether, I find that doing this is as fast or faster than driving myself when I account for the entire journey from my front door to the TSA line. And for trips more than two days, it's usually cheaper, also.

Welcome to Atlanta!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.