Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Missed Basic Economy flight

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2018, 1:35 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
I have a non-elite friend who misestimatrd traffic in ICT. Arrived 5 minutes before departure but needed to checkin. That obviously wasn’t going to work, and the checkin agent was also working the gate, so by the time she got back, she wasn’t interested in helping him. Even though it was still fairly close to departure time.

He texted me and I told him about the flat tire rule and he went back to her and quoted it to her and she finally agreed to rebook him the next morning. Sometimes I think agents enjoy the power trip of telling people to pound sand.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by ethernal
At the very least, the rule should be waived if the passenger arrived at the airport at a reasonable time before their flight.
I agree. By OP's own admission, he/she did not arrive at the airport at a reasonable time before the flight, and the reason was something within OP's control.

Agent discretion is important. In this case, my opinion remains that the agent used appropriate discretion to NOT allow a rule exception.

I get that BE fares are part of the overall increase in "regular" fares as part of the airlines' revenue plans and reaction to an evolving market. I was referring to the purpose of BE fares for the airline, not for the customer.

And I don't hate BE passengers or fares at all. They serve a specific purpose and I have purchased them before. I would be perfectly willing to accept my own medicine if I found myself in OP's shoes.
TheHorta likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 2:58 pm

I do feel sympathy for you, but look at it this way, at least you behaved politely and didn't end up like this guy who showed up late. He even was offered a free next flight out:
Old Aug 19, 2018, 4:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, AA Plat, Hertz Pres. Club. SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Jnr586
I understand the rules though I’ll admit they’re a bit misleading.
You say you understood the rules, then you say they're a bit misleading? What about the rule are misleading?

$500 is a huge hit for me and to think it’s disappearing into a corporation makes me want to cry.
I apologize if this comes across snarky - but where do you think your money goes when you fly Delta. The Salvation Army?
Often1 likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 4:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If one does what OP and some others apparently want, all DL does is incentivise bad behavior.
gooselee likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 4:49 pm

To me, the zero flexibility is pretty unfair. We are all human and sometimes mistakes happen. Getting me on a different flight could not have cost the airline nearly anything. I’m a light traveler who minds my own business. I’d already paid ~$300 on the ticket.
I am a little confused by this. If Delta makes a mistake, even if it is done by one of its (human) representatives, we want to hold them to the letter of their rules - we grant them no leeway. When we make a mistake, we want them to abandon those same rules, and almost universally in a way that benefits us personally.

It seems to me that you wanted to take advantage of a lower cost fare, with some pretty significant restrictions. No one forced you to select that one over other fares, including fully changeable/refundable ones (albeit at significantly more cost). You had the opportunity to arrive at the airport in sufficient time to take the flight, but you failed to do so. Had you gotten there in time, your gamble on the Basic Economy fare would have paid off. But you didn't.

One of my manager's favorite sayings is that *everything* is optional, and most decisions have consequences
gooselee likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 4:51 pm

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
I'm impressed that the OP openly came in here with his pants down, as it were. He knows he is 100% at-fault in this, but was hoping that there was some way / trick / secret handshake to retrieve some of his lost Benjamins -- and that's perfectly normal. Sadly, he drew the short straw on Delta agents and got one that towed the party line like a good automaton, which isn't necessarily a good or a bad thing... it just "is."

OP could have manufactured a story about how he was holding the head of his dying platypus while being overcome with grief, causing his tardiness, and the Dark Overlords at Delta ripped out the pieces of his broken heart and stomped all over it at his most despondent moment -- but he fessed up that he overslept, which takes a certain fortitude.

While not much could've been done, I would think the moment he awoke from his slumber he should've immediately called Delta and let them know instead of waiting until the flight was missed, which likely removed some of the options an agent may have had at their disposal to help him out.
trooper and MrAndy1369 like this.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 4:54 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf
I am a little confused by this. If Delta makes a mistake, even if it is done by one of its (human) representatives, we want to hold them to the letter of their rules - we grant them no leeway. When we make a mistake, we want them to abandon those same rules, and almost universally in a way that benefits us personally.
In fairness, the "rules" are broadly stacked in Delta's favor. For the most part the Contract of Carriage is about restricting a passenger's rights and not granting them except where they are already protected by law or international standards.
ijgordon likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 5:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Repooc17

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a BE ticket, especially on a short flight.

Even if the OP had a main cabin ticket, the result would not have been any different. If the OP had status, and/or if the GA chooses to, potentially one can be added to the next available flight without any additional cost, but not a guarantee.
You can still SDC for a fee on non-BE fares.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare

You can still SDC for a fee on non-BE fares.
Incorrect. https://www.google.co.nz/url?sa=t&so...YzTP_kS20grFK4

Basic Economy fares (E) are not eligible for same-day standby travel changes.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 5:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by flyerCO
I said "non-BE fares".
Old Aug 19, 2018, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare

I said "non-BE fares".
My mistake.

However to be honest no one had argued that SDC policy didn't apply to regular coach tickets. The poster pointed out correctly it was up to agent discretion if not done prior to departure time. SDC doesn't negate the penalty for not cancelling a flight prior to departure. It's still the agents call to offer SDC/S once you miss departure.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by ethernal
In fairness, the "rules" are broadly stacked in Delta's favor. <snip>
To be fair-er, that is of no consequence. If you know what the rules are, and you choose not to adhere to them, then you forfeit the right to complain when they are enforced. The fact that the same rule may or may not have been waived/bent/whatever for some other passenger in some other place at some other time, under the same or different circumstances, is irrelevant.

We have options - buy the ticket. Don't buy the ticket. Buy a different ticket. Choose a different airline. Take the train, Drive. Walk. Show up on time. Don't show up on time. But if you buy *that* ticket on *that* airline, then you are accepting the "fly as ticketed or forfeit" rule associated with it.

If only we could appreciate when things go our way without creating an expectation.
flyerCO and Often1 like this.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 6:47 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
You can actually do it, it's just that the "fee" is coincidentally exactly equal to the walk-up fare of a brand new ticket.
Qwkynuf likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 6:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf
To be fair-er, that is of no consequence. If you know what the rules are, and you choose not to adhere to them, then you forfeit the right to complain when they are enforced. The fact that the same rule may or may not have been waived/bent/whatever for some other passenger in some other place at some other time, under the same or different circumstances, is irrelevant.

We have options - buy the ticket. Don't buy the ticket. Buy a different ticket. Choose a different airline. Take the train, Drive. Walk. Show up on time. Don't show up on time. But if you buy *that* ticket on *that* airline, then you are accepting the "fly as ticketed or forfeit" rule associated with it.

If only we could appreciate when things go our way without creating an expectation.
DL sells full Y tickets which are not merely refundable or changeable like several other fare buckets, but which retain their full value even after the flight has departed. People who need that level of flexibility or who cannot keep to a schedule, purchase those sorts of tickets.

The fare rules are in no way stacked against the passenger. They are simply set and it is for the passenger to select what he wants.

People on FT rant about BE all the time. But, the fact is that is a matter of passenger choice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.