Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Earning Miles on Partners VIA Third Party Website

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2018, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM

Found a cheap MU fare on Expedia. Was wondering if the earning rates are the same regardless of where you book as long as the flights are MU marketed and operated, and you enter your SkyMiles number during the booking process? I'm looking to capitalize on a J fare as a DL Diamond to earn a maximum amount of RDM's, MQM's, and MQD's.

OPS
Old Jul 18, 2018, 3:37 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
As long as they are MU marketed and operated by a SkyTeam carrier they will earn under the MU table .
Old Jul 18, 2018, 3:53 pm

Programs: DL DM 2.4MM
Originally Posted by mattya9
Found a cheap MU fare on Expedia. Was wondering if the earning rates are the same regardless of where you book as long as the flights are MU marketed and operated, and you enter your SkyMiles number during the booking process? I'm looking to capitalize on a J fare as a DL Diamond to earn a maximum amount of RDM's, MQM's, and MQD's.

OPS
I suspect there's a chance it could be a consolidater/bulk fare on Expedia. I'm not sure how MU consolidater fares would be handled for DL earning.. I would confirm that it's a published fare on Expertflyer.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by langbr01
I suspect there's a chance it could be a consolidater/bulk fare on Expedia. I'm not sure how MU consolidater fares would be handled for DL earning.. I would confirm that it's a published fare on Expertflyer.
AFAIK Expedia doesn't sell anything but published fares.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 7:43 pm
Original Poster

For what it's worth, under the flight details, it specifies the fares as "I" and "J". Not sure if that means anything on the Expedia website.

OPS
Old Jul 18, 2018, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
For what it's worth, under the flight details, it specifies the fares as "I" and "J". Not sure if that means anything on the Expedia website.

OPS
Consolidator fares still have fare classes. Yours sounds like a standard MU discount business fare.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OPS
Can you price it out on ITA Matrix? It's pretty safe to assume that if ITA prices it the same, it's a published fare. ITA also provides full fare basis codes and fare rules in addition to the booking class.
mattya9 likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 10:15 pm
Original Poster

I’m not well rehearsed in the ITA Matrix world/language but I’ll give it a shot.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 10:24 am
Original Poster

Expedia was showing around $2600 and ITA Matrix is showing around $6500. Could the cheaper one be an Expedia consolidated fare? How accurate is ITA Matrix?

OPS
Old Jul 25, 2018, 12:14 pm
Original Poster

Just wanted to revive this thread real quick. I ended up booking a round trip ticket LAX-HKG (via PVG) on China Eastern via the Orbiz website. I also entered my Sky Miles number when I was making the reservation. Fare classes are "I" (LAX-PVG-LAX) and "J" (PVG-HKG-PVG). I called the DM line and they said it should go through after the flights are complete but I should also keep my boarding passes just in case they don't. Was curious to hear from others that have done this and received the appropriate amount of RM's, MQM's, and MQD's, when booking through a third party website. Thanks!

OPS
Old Jul 25, 2018, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Just wanted to revive this thread real quick. I ended up booking a round trip ticket LAX-HKG (via PVG) on China Eastern via the Orbiz website. I also entered my Sky Miles number when I was making the reservation. Fare classes are "I" (LAX-PVG-LAX) and "J" (PVG-HKG-PVG). I called the DM line and they said it should go through after the flights are complete but I should also keep my boarding passes just in case they don't. Was curious to hear from others that have done this and received the appropriate amount of RM's, MQM's, and MQD's, when booking through a third party website. Thanks!

OPS
Happens all the time. I usually always book MU tickets via Expedia/Orbitz. Their CS is much better than MUs.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 12:25 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA Gold
I did an I/J set of flights on MU this year that I purchased on Priceline (not an opaque fare) that I couldn't reproduce on matrix. Everything posted as expected within a few days. Sounds like you'll be fine, but, yeah, hang on to those boarding passes!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.