Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta buddy pass etiquette?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2018, 9:11 am

I/my partner have never given out a buddy pass without a full vetting process, including we have to actually know you...
SuperG1955, gooselee and Widgets like this.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 9:19 am

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Originally Posted by SuperG1955
Just about all of the "Debbie Downers", including myself, are pass riders or employees and are providing realistic information within the guidelines of not disclosing DL internal documentation.

My wife and I non-rev TATL a couple of times a year and use GUC's or Award tickets when we have specific commitments.

What's your personal experience with non-reving on DL in the past 2 years?
2018: The year humor died on the Internet.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 9:21 am

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Test bookings indicate that Saturday's ATL-BCN has adequate available seating for the 2 of you. Don't plan on D1.

JAX-ATL seem to have good availability early in the day. I strongly recommend that you catch the earliest flight after the first of the day. If you don't get from JAX to ATL you can't get from ATL to BCN. You're better off hanging out at ATL for a few hours.

Good luck on your return.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 9:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I've never flown nonrev, but etiquette rules include not asking other passengers to swap seats, not poaching anyone else's seat, not being rowdy, drunk, or doing anything to disturb customers or employees, not requesting anything of FAs (i.e., don't ring your call button for a refill or ask that a fresh bottle of champagne be opened for you), being flexible about meal choices and taking what's left after the revenue passengers get their preferred food, and not talking about the fact that you are nonrevs or buddy pass riders. If you're given a middle seat or a seat that doesn't recline or have a functioning AVOD system, take it without complaint.

I assume you're not planning to bring kids or animals with you on this trip.

It would be wise to have a *small* carry on so that it can easily fit somewhere in the overhead bin if you're the last one to board and the GA is pressing to get the flight out on time.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 9:27 am

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Originally Posted by TheHorta

2018: The year humor died on the Internet.
There are threads that don't lend themselves to humor.

There are a number of people with specific knowledge attempting to assist someone who has no knowledge of the process she's dealing with and that would, IMO, be the overriding aim of posting. Not post count padding.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 9:45 am

Programs: DL,EK
You couldn't get me to fly a Buddy Pass TATL in the summer if it was free.!
Back in the the 80s I was stuck in Hong Kong for 5 days trying to get anywhere toward the US while using UA family/employee passes. In 1988 I had the same experience in Seoul. I had been denied travel for 2-3 days with my 1965 seniority. Stuck along with me was a guy with 1986 seniority. As we shared a cab back to town I said that I was getting a hotel, but he needed to get an apartment. I got out the next day, but that guy might still be there.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Originally Posted by HWGeeks
I remember one labor day I was in San Francisco waiting for a flight to JFK on Delta.

There were a ton of nonrevs crying and making a fuss that they needed to be at work the next day. But all the flights were booked solid. Not sure if they made it home in time for work. Probably not as I was on the red eye.
That's why if I need to be somewhere, I buy a ticket. It's so much less stressful than spending an entire day worrying about if I'll make a flight.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 10:46 am

I always wondered what happened to that family who did everything wrong (kept bouncing from airport to airport with no real idea if anything they were doing would help, no internet access, no contact with the buddy pass "owner" etc...)

I was in Madrid a few summers ago and there were some upset people there who were stuck on buddy passes. One of them got rather irate with someone from Delta who looked at him and said "one more outburst and you won't ever be getting on a plane" His wife drug him away, it was very apparent that the relative who had given them this pass had not explained the risks.

I used to have access to these and had a GREAT priority. (My sponsor had been at Delta for 50 plus years) Even with that I only used them for short domestic hops and this was in the 70's, 80's. It's just too risky if you have to get back to work on a reasonable schedule.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 10:46 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta-pm, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-PP
Originally Posted by mersk862
That's why if I need to be somewhere, I buy a ticket. It's so much less stressful than spending an entire day worrying about if I'll make a flight.
I am with you on that. I have declined my friends offer to non rev with him to “somewhere” in Europe several times. I know that he will make the flight and I will end up spending two days at DTW or even worse stuck somewhere in Europe. If I did not value my time and was on a two month sabbatical then I would give it a whirl. Otherwise I have enough stress in my life as is. My spontaneity died about 20 years ago.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 11:08 am

April 2017 we were on a BCN-JFK with 13 other pass rider in J and there were additional empty seats.

We've also waited 4 days to get from AMS to JFK/BOS/DTW/MSP/ATL when weather screwed up the US. Since it was the US side that was screwed up it didn't make sense for us to go somewhere else. We also have decent priority with a 20+ year date.

This April we had a family emergency that required us to get back from AMS immediately. The loads were terrible so we used miles for Award tickets. They're extremely expensive on a same day purchase! One always needs alternate plans and available $ or miles.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 11:17 am

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
There are threads that don't lend themselves to humor.

There are a number of people with specific knowledge attempting to assist someone who has no knowledge of the process she's dealing with and that would, IMO, be the overriding aim of posting. Not post count padding.
Wow. OK. I respect and appreciate your input, but it was pretty obvious that my humor was intended to encourage the OP to follow-up and post her experiences, which she apparently responded favorably to.

And, FYI, ALL threads "lend themselves to humor." Humor is an essential part of the teaching / learning process.

I really dislike having to explain the obvious, but I have to remember that I'm only obvious to me.
Debra79 likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 11:51 am

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I was a non-rev at CO for 3 years. Add me to the "never non-rev trans-atlantic" club. Made it to Paris only by going to AMS and taking a train. And after seeing 24 available seats only 12 hours prior, was denied at CDG for the return (rudely). Had to traipse back to Gare du Nord on the RER in my slacks and dress shirt. Find an internet cafe. Check loads for AMS-EWR and re-book. Get hotel in AMS for the night. Wait for the Thalys. Then wait ON the Thalys--it was almost 2 hours late. All this in a horrific heat wave. (Now, I DID make it into Biz on the return, so that was nice.)

The stress was unbelievable. And I was a named travel companion for a 20+-year employee.

That said, I have a friend who has successfully done trans-atlantic to Rome on a DL buddy pass. But he was in close contact with his sponsor, who constantly kept him informed about loads and different flight options. On later trips, the employee actually went ahead and BOUGHT tickets at an employee discount of some kind, I presume because non-reving was so difficult.

You just have to treat it like a big adventure, expect the unexpected, and adapt. (Just like everyone has advised!)
Debra79 likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 12:13 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, Marriott, Hertz, National, Chic-fil-A
Never flown on a DL buddy pass but had a roommate who flew regularly to Europe and South America on ZED fares on hours’ notice sometimes. If your dates are not flexible and you have commitments on either side of your trip, be flexible with your destination or return origin airports. BCN could easily fill up forcing you to head to MAD, NCE, LIS, or any other gateway somewhat near your intended destination. A working knowledge of local public transport systems can be very beneficial in the event of required spontaneity.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by Minny_COYS
I/my partner have never given out a buddy pass without a full vetting process, including we have to actually know you...
+1. Every DL employee I know is extremely hesitant to issue buddy passes at all. Most of them will instead offer to just help their friends/family find more affordable fares/creative routings/etc. for their confirmed ticket.

Even for themselves, they plan ahead and know not to rely on it. I know a guy who works at DL HQ and so nonrevs on his own priority and he will fully admit that one of every 5 or 6 trips out of the country he has to buy a ticket for at least part of his journey home. He just enjoys the adventure part of it and it's almost like a game to figure out what random place he can end up in for a weekend.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If you're given a middle seat or a seat that doesn't recline or have a functioning AVOD system, take it without complaint.
Also if you get a seat that works, don't be surprised if you're asked to move to a broken one so that a revenue passenger can take yours.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 3:30 pm

I didn’t think you could fly d1 on a buddy pass without the sponsor being on the flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.