FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Delta buddy pass etiquette? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1918429-delta-buddy-pass-etiquette.html)

Debra79 Jul 5, 2018 8:34 pm

Delta buddy pass etiquette?

I'm getting ready to fly DL JAX to BCN with a friend on her cousin's buddy/companion pass. Could someone please help me with accessing the buddy pass etiquette page or just post the content here? Thanks. :cool:

jk88usa Jul 5, 2018 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by Debra79 (Post 29943000)
I'm getting ready to fly DL JAX to BCN with a friend on her cousin's buddy/companion pass. Could someone please help me with accessing the buddy pass etiquette page or just post the content here? Thanks. :cool:

I don't fly DL buddy passes specifically...but as a general rule of international buddy pass etiquette and ZED/employee standby space

1. Dress professionally for the international segment. You will be allowed to change into PJs once onboard and the plane has taken off, but you must change again before landing. Stupid rule but if you want any shot of getting into D1 or First Class, it's a must (yes yes the rules technically say you won't be upgraded...but if you dress professionally and economy is full, you may have a shot)
2. Do not approach the gate agent if/until your name is called - at least this is the case on AA - perhaps somebody can speak for DL. Though I never see DL employees approaching the GA when I fly them so I'm assuming it's the same policy.
3. Do NOT check your bag if you can at all help it. It goes regardless of whether you do...
4. Check in right at 24 hours. I believe DL has a seniority based standby list, but checkin time is often a tiebreaker or the 2nd determinant of the standby list order

Those are the main points. For whatever reason the Delta Buddy Pass Rules page doesn't pull up on my ZED account...so I can't post word for word content...but those are the general points regardless of airline

Debra79 Jul 5, 2018 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by jk88usa (Post 29943018)
I don't fly DL buddy passes specifically...but as a general rule of international buddy pass etiquette and ZED/employee standby space

1. Dress professionally for the international segment. You will be allowed to change into PJs once onboard and the plane has taken off, but you must change again before landing. Stupid rule but if you want any shot of getting into D1 or First Class, it's a must (yes yes the rules technically say you won't be upgraded...but if you dress professionally and economy is full, you may have a shot)
2. Do not approach the gate agent if/until your name is called - at least this is the case on AA - perhaps somebody can speak for DL. Though I never see DL employees approaching the GA when I fly them so I'm assuming it's the same policy.
3. Do NOT check your bag if you can at all help it. It goes regardless of whether you do...
4. Check in right at 24 hours. I believe DL has a seniority based standby list, but checkin time is often a tiebreaker or the 2nd determinant of the standby list order

Those are the main points. For whatever reason the Delta Buddy Pass Rules page doesn't pull up on my ZED account...so I can't post word for word content...but those are the general points regardless of airline

Thank you! Our tickets say First Class and Delta One Standby so I'm hoping we still have a chance to fly D1, especially on the international leg. I guess I should trade in my jeans for some casual slacks...😋

SuperG1955 Jul 5, 2018 9:12 pm

DL is not AA.

Relaxed, neat and clean dress is acceptable.

I believe that the new rules have been implemented and that if you're not travelling with the sponsor, you're not eligible for D1.

Checked baggage travels with you but carry-ons are easier and less error prone, especially with connections.

There was a public page on Delta that no longer seems to be available.

When you get to the gate, give the Gate Agent your Seat Request Card and then sit where you can see the GA and the GA can see you. Listen for GA announcements. Check the GIDS (Gate Information Display System) which should show you as a standby. If you see a change to assigned seat, you've cleared.

Talk to your sponsor and ask them all of your questions. They should be able to print a copy of everything you need in the way of information.

Remember, you're flying standby with no guarantee of a seat. Don't make firm plans or reservations, particularly non-refundable, that require you to be some place at a particular time. Have the financial resources to pay your way home or stay at your destination while you're waiting. think about alternative return routes. You may need your sponsor to change any reservations. Summer TATL travel is very heavy and there will be embargos for Buddy Pass riders to and from the most desirable places and 'easiest' locations.

You couldn't get me to fly a Buddy Pass TATL in the summer if it was free.

Good luck

Priority is based on Class of service. Buddy Passes are S4 - the lowest priority. Within Class of service, it's date of hire of the sponsor.

The odds of getting First Class JAX to the gateway (ATL or JFK) are about 0. You're at the lowest priority. Your passes were probably purchased before the new rules were set but if you're not flying with the sponsor, you're not eligible for D1.

I'll repeat DL is NOT AA and ZED fares are not Buddy Passes.

TALK TO YOUR SPONSOR!!!!!

sfgiants13 Jul 5, 2018 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by Debra79 (Post 29943046)
Thank you! Our tickets say First Class and Delta One Standby so I'm hoping we still have a chance to fly D1, especially on the international leg. I guess I should trade in my jeans for some casual slacks...😋

As a buddy pass rider there is an almost 0% chance of getting delta one in the summer from Europe. It’s hard enough getting a seat for employees. Talk to the person who gave you the pass for loads so you know what to expect.

btonkid12345 Jul 5, 2018 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by Debra79 (Post 29943000)

The person sponsoring your buddy pass should be the one providing all of this to you - not asking for internal company information to be posted on a public forum. They are the ones who are held responsible for your behavior after all.

Originally Posted by jk88usa (Post 29943018)
(yes yes the rules technically say you won't be upgraded...but if you dress professionally and economy is full, you may have a shot)

When I flew on an AA buddy pass, I was told to kindly let the gate agent know I was present, but not push them for a seat or bother them anything else. When I did, she handed me my BP for a J seat and told me to board!

A standby's dress won't affect whether they receive J - more just whether they get on the plane. The computer will handle oversales in that it will tell the GA who to move, in which case it will usually UG elites.

Forget domestic F - you won't get it out of JAX. You might have a shot at D1 on the overwater segment, but that all depends on the particular flight and demand that day. Plus, you will clear after any DMs waitlisting for a D1 upgrade.

Debra79 Jul 5, 2018 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by SuperG1955 (Post 29943068)
DL is not AA.

Relaxed, neat and clean dress is acceptable.

I believe that the new rules have been implemented and that if you're not travelling with the sponsor, you're not eligible for D1.

Checked baggage travels with you but carry-ons are easier and less error prone, especially with connections.

There was a public page on Delta that no longer seems to be available.

When you get to the gate, give the Gate Agent your Seat Request Card and then sit where you can see the GA and the GA can see you. Listen for GA announcements. Check the GIDS (Gate Information Display System) which should show you as a standby. If you see a change to assigned seat, you've cleared.

Talk to your sponsor and ask them all of your questions. They should be able to print a copy of everything you need in the way of information.

Remember, you're flying standby with no guarantee of a seat. Don't make firm plans or reservations, particularly non-refundable, that require you to be some place at a particular time. Have the financial resources to pay your way home or stay at your destination while you're waiting. think about alternative return routes. You may need your sponsor to change any reservations. Summer TATL travel is very heavy and there will be embargos for Buddy Pass riders to and from the most desirable places and 'easiest' locations.

You couldn't get me to fly a Buddy Pass TATL in the summer if it was free.

Good luck

It's a little late for the negativity since we leave Saturday, but thanks anyway? Lol We are only bringing carryons and have no reservations, so are prepared to be delayed. Unfortunately, I don't have the sponsors contact info, my friend does. Apparently they are a director or something, very busy, and she doesn't want to bother them more than absolutely necessary.

btonkid12345 Jul 5, 2018 9:21 pm

You may need your sponsor to change any reservations.

This. Don't go getting in SkyPriority lines at the airport to get an agent there to help you just because your BP says standby for F/D1. Make sure your companion can reach the sponsor.

btonkid12345 Jul 5, 2018 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by Debra79 (Post 29943096)
It's a little late for the negativity since we leave Saturday, but thanks anyway?

Its not negativity - its reality from people who fly these routes and planes weekly. You said you hoped to fly in the premium cabin, and that poster was giving you their opinion of the chances of that.

I will tell you as a Diamond Medallion - with a paid fare and an instrument supported upgrade - I would expect the route you mentioned to be difficult to clear. And standbys - especially non-employee standbys - will be after a slew of others waiting for a D1 seat.

MCO Flyer Jul 5, 2018 9:28 pm

I was told by my freind who works for DL that Buddy Pass riders are no longer eligible for D1 unless the employee is traveling with them as well. Perhaps this hasn’t come into affect yet?

flying_donkeys12 Jul 5, 2018 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by Debra79 (Post 29943096)
It's a little late for the negativity since we leave Saturday, but thanks anyway?

I don’t think it was negativity, just preparing you for the harsh reality you are about to face. My friend is a senior captain and every non rev trip he has taken has never been to the location he was originally shooting for. One trip delta had to clear space on a return flight because he was unable to non rev on a flight back. I can’t imagine going on a buddy pass. As long as you are up for an adventure, you should have a good time.
I hope you return to post on here about how your exciting buddy pass adventure to ATL worked out :)

btonkid12345 Jul 5, 2018 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by MCO Flyer (Post 29943114)
I was told by my freind who works for DL that Buddy Pass riders are no longer eligible for D1 unless the employee is traveling with them as well. Perhaps this hasn’t come into affect yet?

There are 5 unassigned seats in D1 JFK-BCN Saturday. 8 for ATL-BCN. Some of these could be assigned once a confirmed ticket holder checks in. My guess is that 3-5 DMs will be standing by for an upgrade too. Thus, set expectations that simply boarding the flight in any seat will be a success.

Starblazer Jul 5, 2018 9:40 pm

From a former nonrev:

Here is where you need to set your expectations:

I probably won't get there, and if I get there, it will be hell getting back.

If you get there on time, that's good. If you get to fly a premium cabin, that's an added bonus on top of it. Just don't expect it.

I *never* flew to Europe during the summer months because it was nonrev-suicide. Loads change so quickly and all it takes is one strike by AF or AZ and the loads will be shot for a month and you will be sitting in BCN. As a buddy pass rider, you are even less agile than I was... I could ZED on another airline and even I wasn't willing to risk it.

gooselee Jul 5, 2018 10:28 pm

This is really all that needs to be said.

If the sponsor is truly a super-busy-can't-be-bothered-director at DL, then he/she should know better than to offer up buddy passes and then not be available to you and your friend. After all, the sponsor's butt is the one on the line if you guys break the rules, and it sounds like they consider their job to be pretty important.

TheHorta Jul 5, 2018 10:45 pm

Hi Deb!

Please be sure to revisit this thread once your travel is completed. I'd really like to hear just how everything went and see if all of the "Debbie Downers" :D were right, or if you sold under a lucky star and D1'd your way through the universe!