Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta to add Seattle-Osaka, Drops SEA-HKG

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta to add Seattle-Osaka, Drops SEA-HKG

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2018, 10:57 pm

Programs: Skymiles Gold
Originally Posted by JAeX
Does anyone have experience with how DL rebooks for trips on routes which are cancelled? I'm headed to SIN in Nov, SEA-HKG in D1 and HKG-SIN on a separate ticket with CX. My assumption is they will rebook me SEA-ICN-HKG but I'd like to get SEA-NRT-SIN to avoid having a 2 stop trip in both directions.
Last year I was flying into YQB-JFK-ATL and DL stopped flying into YQB. A rep called me personally and informed me and told me they had rebooked me thru YYZ on WS. The timing of the rebooked sucked so I found a better routing through YUL. Problem was, the YQB-YUL WS flight wasn't a codeshare. First call, rep said they couldn't do it. So I HUCA'd. Second call, they put me on the flights I wanted, even though it wasn't a codeshare.

Moral of the story, find the flights you want, have them ready when you call in, make sure they're Skyteam/Partner flights and Delta Will do what they need to get you to your destination. Are you on a paid D1 ticket or award? Basically, this is your lucky day, as you now get to pick your routing and airlines you want to try without worrying about costs.

And as @flyerCO said, origin and destination will need to be the same.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 10:58 pm

Programs: Skymiles Gold
Originally Posted by CO-PLAT
Wife & I are booked in C+ SEA-HKG 22-Dec-2018. My reservations still shows intact on the Delta website.
You'll likely get a phone call from reservations in the next few days letting you know of the change and that they've rebooked you. If you don't like your new flights, pick your own on any partner airline and, within reason, they'll rebook you. Though you may need to HUCA if you pick a weird flight combo.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 12:14 am

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Originally Posted by Weekend Away
...this is your lucky day, as you now get to pick your routing and airlines you want to try without worrying about costs.

And as @flyerCO said, origin and destination will need to be the same.
By the rules, yes, but in the past Delta has been known to waive such pesky rules. Less true today, but there is no harm in asking.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 1:03 am

Programs: SPG, Marriott, UA, AA, CX, SQ
just for kicks, I went to lookup how this same forum (plus A.net) responded the last time DL cancelled CONUS48 - HKG nonstop service :

FT (2012) - DL cancels DTW-HKG and A.net - Delta "Suspends" DTW-HKG

FT board wisdom was rather split 40/40/20 between whether to pick JFK or SEA, and a small minority in favor of LAX. (and i'm seeing a similar ongoing debate regarding whether DL should be restarting JFK-BOM or ATL-BOM). A.net roughly 50 JFK / 50 SEA , with nearly no votes for LAX

Doing some quick Google research, it seems previous DL+NW CONUS-HKG nonstop offerings were SEA in mid 90s, MSP around 97-98 (supposedly some sort of strike brought its demise), DTW June 2010 to summer 2013, then SEA again June 2014 to Oct 2018 (assuming currently announced plans hold true).

Some has conjectured along the lines of rival fare dumping or PMNW having the reputation of the bulk discounter, but both AA and DL are fighting tooth and nail for *more* PEK and PVG service, seemingly undeterred by the "fare dumping", while NW's alleged less-than-stellar reputation, once you back out the intentional draw down of NRT and the universal tough nut that is KIX, hasn't particularly spread to other routes, so it's a really unique case of weakness at HKG market no matter what route, aircraft, GDP growth rate, or oil price combination they tried.

Yes, airlines are businesses where profit is king, and yes no one has to win everywhere, but I simply see a complete pull out of HKG in the same lens as hypothetical scenarios if UA completely cancels all SYD service and fan it out to NZ / AKL, or if AA cancels all CDG service and fan it out of BA / LHR and IB / MAD.

And yes, I would be equally critical at them, regardless of their profit levels. (e.g. both AA and DL were reasonably profitable when AA cancelled all TLV in Aug'15 and DL announced an increase just a month later to partially backfill the lost capacity. AA had multiple hubs with sizable business+leisure demand to TLV that could've moved the route, including JFK MIA ORD LAX, and they've completely struck down all alternatives. if profit levels imply smart decisions, then who was right then ?)
Old Jun 15, 2018, 2:10 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by n7371f
Completely incorrect. The VS over DL to LHR was a DL decision and it was done to in part to reintroduce the Virgin brand to Seattle shortly after the hometown airline announced it was was buying a Virgin and doing away with it - and attempt at messing with AS - while also greatly improving the product to LHR. Remember, the profits are shared whether DL or Virigin Atl is flying it.
My post was actually referring to the circa-2010 SEA-LHR service that was started and then cancelled shortly thereafter, long before DL even formed a partnership with VS.

As you say, I don’t consider the handover between DL/VS to be a “cancellation” because it’s a revenue neutral move.

I do have one quibble with what you say, though, as I do consider the shift to VS a major quality downgrade. I’ve been subjected to this flight quite a bit in 2018c and VS’s 787 J seat is absolute rubbish, for a number of reasons that are better discussed in the separate thread on the topic that’s ongoing right now. Virgin is an airline trading on its reputation from the past, with a current product that (outside their exceptional lounges) doesn’t really offer anything special other than pajamas and cool salt and pepper shakers.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 2:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Bowgie
By the rules, yes, but in the past Delta has been known to waive such pesky rules. Less true today, but there is no harm in asking.
However it needs to be reasonable. HKG -> NRT/ICN reasonable, HKG -> SIN not really. Its like saying I bought a ticket to fly to LAX, but want to be re-routed to JFK.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 3:56 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by williambruno1975
so it's a really unique case of weakness at HKG market no matter what route, aircraft, GDP growth rate, or oil price combination they tried
One flight a day to/from Hong Kong is the definition of weakness. Imagine if Delta only had one flight a day to/from London or to/from Paris.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 5:18 am

Programs: DL - Diamond, HHonors - Diamond, Marriott - Gold
Originally Posted by JAeX
Does anyone have experience with how DL rebooks for trips on routes which are cancelled? I'm headed to SIN in Nov, SEA-HKG in D1 and HKG-SIN on a separate ticket with CX. My assumption is they will rebook me SEA-ICN-HKG but I'd like to get SEA-NRT-SIN to avoid having a 2 stop trip in both directions.
We were booked pdx nrt bkk in d1 using guc when they whacked the nrt bkk leg. They had no problem rerouting me into sin instead keeping menus in D1. They were flexible with what I wanted to do
Old Jun 15, 2018, 5:43 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Got any more sour grapes? HKG is just an airport. Look at the world's busiest 20 airports and how many DL/AA/UA each serve. DL won't try LAX-HKG against CX with its 3x frequency. DTW didn't work. SEA didn't work. I doubt ATL-HKG would do better.
Why didn't DTW -HKG work? I flew this route twice, both in the month of July (very hot and humid), and both flights were relatively packed. I know short sample size and all, but if you are a world class airline, HKG should probably be on the route map.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 6:17 am

Programs: Delta Plat, one-time United Plat, Amex Plat, Marriott Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, Bus Pass
They swapped one int'l destination for another. I don't get the sky-is-falling rhetoric.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 6:19 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Interesting-- I just priced out business class DCA/IAD-HKG in January using SkyTeam and it is about $3000 cheaper to fly it east through CDG/AMS then west through ICN. $4300 connecting through AMS/CDG on AF/KL. $6500 connecting through JFK and TPE on China Air, and $7100 through ICN on KE.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 6:25 am

Programs: Non-Affiliated
Originally Posted by Longboater
This is utterly devastating that the world's second largest airline cannot sustain a flight to HKG.
Utterly devastating, you say? I'd go with minor bummer at most, personally. Utterly devastating seems a bit much.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 6:26 am

Programs: Non-Affiliated
Originally Posted by pbarnette
This thread is hilarious.
Agreed.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 6:38 am

Programs: SPG, Marriott, UA, AA, CX, SQ
Originally Posted by koreanair720
They swapped one int'l destination for another. I don't get the sky-is-falling rhetoric.
would you say the same if LATAM swapped MAD for Casablanca ? Or Qantas swapping LAX for Mexico City ?
or Air Canada swapping YUL-CDG for Bordeaux ?

Old Jun 15, 2018, 6:47 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by james318
Utterly devastating, you say? I'd go with minor bummer at most, personally. Utterly devastating seems a bit much.
Lol @ "utterly devastating". There will be direct service via ICN. Additionally, HKG has simply not been a very strong market for DL the last several years.

However, once more and more 359s and 330neos start coming online in the coming years, I wouldn't be surprised to see HKG return, assuming TPAC yields don't continue to plummet. From where is anyone's best guess.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.