Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Upgrade to Delta One/First getting harder?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade to Delta One/First getting harder?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2018, 5:58 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Eddie98
Is the Caribbean considered International? We flew to Aruba and got upgraded to first both ways and these were award tickets.
The Caribbean isn't considered International for lounge access purposes, but complimentary UG's are available to the Caribbean, Mexico, Canada, and Upper S. America with all of the others being considered international.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 7:00 pm

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
So what’s going to happen when Delta removes C+ and there’s only Premium Economy for us elites traveling in coach? Back to the fight for the exit rows?? Since I’m 6’5 the leg room is really my main concern.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 7:42 pm

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Originally Posted by flying_donkeys12

For being a diamond, you really seem to be at a loss on how the upgrade process works.
I’m DM and I know relatively little about the UG process... and I hang out here.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 8:37 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM
Originally Posted by Tomphot

I'm sure there are a lot of Diamonds who don't know how the process works, I've talked to a number of them while on flights. A very small number of Diamonds vs the total are on this forum.
I have coworkers who know how the system works (though they call me a lot - they aren't on FT) as well as some that didn't even know about the choice benefits they were entitled to.

Do I want to educate them or do I go with 'less competition'?
Tomphot likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 9:56 pm

Programs: DL DM 2 MM, Lifetime Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Tomphot

I'm sure there are a lot of Diamonds who don't know how the process works, I've talked to a number of them while on flights. A very small number of Diamonds vs the total are on this forum.
Amen, lets be nice. I don,t know all these rules either. Not an an attorney, just a retired USAF pilot.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 12:25 am
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by NOLAnwGOLD
So what’s going to happen when Delta removes C+ and there’s only Premium Economy for us elites traveling in coach? Back to the fight for the exit rows?? Since I’m 6’5 the leg room is really my main concern.
JMO, but the sooner C+ goes away and Premium Economy arrives, the better.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 3:26 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta-pm, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-PP
Originally Posted by TheHorta

I’m DM and I know relatively little about the UG process... and I hang out here.
You probably need to lay off the cab then.
TheHorta likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 3:21 pm

Programs: DL PM / 1MM "Enhancee" (Frequent Flyer) Since 1990
Originally Posted by xolinlevh
As others have said, there’s no such thing as comp upgrades on international flights except in the instance of overbooked flights. It’s possible that since you paid for M fares, that’s pushed you to the top of the op-up list. But that should never translate into an expectation of an upgrade.
I haven't used an old SWU (Systemwide Upgrade) as a PM to japan since they turned into GUCs, and were given only to DMs - when skymiles program changes were made years ago.

That left OpUps - unpredictable and rare, or mileage upgrades for each direction you were upgrading - in my case IAD-ATL-NRT. That used to be 25,000 skymiles each way - providing you had a Y, B or M fare.. Best confirmed at booking rather than waitlisting. Oh yeah you could also just pay for a BE ticket, back then $1400.00 for a Z class roundtrip - which now runs $5000+

With all these changes, i've sort of lost the ball on how to fly international/BE/D1 up front - guessing that the only real options for me as a PM is to upgrade with miles using whatever DL award charts are in play..(and I don't think the mileage award charts are still visible any more - or they were switched off for a while)

Last edited by heckler; Jun 3, 2018 at 6:33 pm
Old Jun 3, 2018, 6:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Skymiles (DM, 1MM, SC Lifetime) HHonors (G)
GUC vs. Upgrade with Miles

Originally Posted by heckler
I haven't used an old SWU (Systemwide Upgrade) as a PM to japan since they turned into GUCs, and were given only to DMs - when skymiles program changes were made years ago.

That left OpUps - unpredictable and rare, or mileage upgrades for each direction you were upgrading - in my case IAD-ATL-NRT. That used to be 25,000 skymiles each way - providing you had a Y, B or M fare.. Best confirmed at booking rather than waitlisting. Oh yeah you could also just pay for a BE ticket, back then $1400.00 for a Z class roundtrip - which now runs $5000+

With all these changes, i've sort of lost the ball on how to fly international/BE/D1 up front - guessing that the only real options for me as a PM is to upgrade with miles using whatever DL award charts are in play..
Question... an ATL Skymiles agent told me that I should have used my GUC because it may give me a better shot at UG than of Upgrade with Miles. Is that true?
Old Jun 3, 2018, 6:38 pm

Programs: DL PM / 1MM "Enhancee" (Frequent Flyer) Since 1990
Originally Posted by jinabe
Question... an ATL Skymiles agent told me that I should have used my GUC because it may give me a better shot at UG than of Upgrade with Miles. Is that true?
Sounds plausible to me.. GUCs are about as high on the upgrade totem pole as you can go (ergo, you'd be a DM). I'm not, however, 100% sure..
Old Jun 3, 2018, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by heckler
Sounds plausible to me.. GUCs are about as high on the upgrade totem pole as you can go (ergo, you'd be a DM). I'm not, however, 100% sure..
It’s not clear to me whether the type of instrument (GUC vs. mileage upgrade) has any impact on the waitlist priority, but as was mentioned, a GUC request can transfer to the upgrade standby list at the airport, where they’ll clear any unsold seats before departure. Mileage upgrades have to clear earlier, under the control of revenue management (and not sure if the cutoff is T-24h or closer-in.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 7:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Skymiles (DM, 1MM, SC Lifetime) HHonors (G)
UPG Flow

Originally Posted by ijgordon

It’s not clear to me whether the type of instrument (GUC vs. mileage upgrade) has any impact on the waitlist priority, but as was mentioned, a GUC request can transfer to the upgrade standby list at the airport, where they’ll clear any unsold seats before departure. Mileage upgrades have to clear earlier, under the control of revenue management (and not sure if the cutoff is T-24h or closer-in.
Thank you for your comments. To summarize, for GUC holders, is this the flow?

1. Mileage Upgrade requested (at purchase or thereafter)
2. Waitlisted
3. @ Cut-off (either T-24 or T-3?), the waitlist is clared/reset
4. GUC request applied for the gatet standby
5. Pray
Old Jun 4, 2018, 10:26 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by LBJ
It's been ages since I've had an op-up on international. Unless the flight is oversold in coach, you shouldn't really count on a free upgrade. I'd say you have unrealistic expectations.
DL has gotten very good (for them, bad for me) at managing flights so that OpUps are really quite rare now. It has only been about 5 or 6 years since I was hitting nearly 50% OpUps on TATL flights, in part by carefully choosing my routings and flight times. I think in my best year, I got OpUp'd on 6 out of 14 TATL flights. Unfortunately, those days are gone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.