Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Upgrade to Delta One/First getting harder?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2018, 6:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Skymiles (DM, 1MM, SC Lifetime) HHonors (G)

Hi, All

Last weekend (May 25) I flew from HND to MSP and
HND-MSP (M), upgraded to Comfort Plus
MSP-PHL (M), upgraded to Comfort Plus

Today (Friday, June 1), I flew from PHL to NRT
PHL-ATL (M), upgraded to First
ATL-NRT (M), upgraded to Comfort Plus

Now, this is the first time in the last few years that I did not get bumped up to Delta One/First on transpacific flights when I purchased M class. Granted, the outbound flight was on the Memorial Day Weekend, but I was quite surprised that I only got to the Comfort Plus on the ATL-NRT segment. Anyone can shed insight/hypothesis as to what might be preventing my upgrade to Delta One/First? Appreciate your wisdom.

A puzzled DM and 1.5 MM flyer

Last edited by jinabe; Jun 1, 2018 at 6:11 pm Reason: Adding info
Old Jun 1, 2018, 6:12 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Probably FCM.
First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread
Old Jun 1, 2018, 6:19 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by jinabe
Hi, All

Last weekend (May 25) I flew from HND to MSP and
HND-MSP (M), upgraded to Comfort Plus
MSP-PHL (M), upgraded to Comfort Plus

Today (Friday, June 1), I flew from PHL to NRT
PHL-ATL (M), upgraded to First
ATL-NRT (M), upgraded to Comfort Plus

Now, this is the first time in the last few years that I did not get bumped up to Delta One/First on transpacific flights when I purchased M class. Granted, the outbound flight was on the Memorial Day Weekend, but I was quite surprised that I only got to the Comfort Plus on the ATL-NRT segment. Anyone can shed insight/hypothesis as to what might be preventing my upgrade to Delta One/First? Appreciate your wisdom.

A puzzled DM and 1.5 MM flyer
All medallion members, including DMs, do not get free UGs to D1 on non domestic flights unless using a GUC. What you had been experiencing before was probably an OPUP in which Y was oversold and medallions will then get UGd to free up space in Y.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's been ages since I've had an op-up on international. Unless the flight is oversold in coach, you shouldn't really count on a free upgrade. I'd say you have unrealistic expectations.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 8:05 pm

Programs: SkyMiles 2018 PM, 2019 PM, 2020 PM, 2021 PM, 2022 PM, 2023 PM...
I do much better returning to ATL than leaving ATL.
Returning from LAX two days ago I got D1, but had the extra bonus that the upgrade cleared five days in advance.

As ^^^^ D1 is only on domestic flights. I've not heard of any exceptions.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 8:45 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card

Now, this is the first time in the last few years that I did not get bumped up to Delta One/First on transpacific flights when I purchased M class.
how many actual flights are we talking about here? Did you apply a GUC?

Granted, the outbound flight was on the Memorial Day Weekend, but I was quite surprised that I only got to the Comfort Plus on the ATL-NRT segment. Anyone can shed insight/hypothesis as to what might be preventing my upgrade to Delta One/First? Appreciate your wisdom.
Hypothesis: the flight wasn't oversold
btonkid12345 likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 10:49 pm
Original Poster

Clarification

Sitting in 29E on my way from ATL to NRT And reading your replies. Thanks for your inputs. I should have said that I spend Skymiles for an upgrade (anywhere from 30 to 60K miles) but didn’t want to apply GUC when booking was done in M.

FYI when I booked the tickets in M it got UG to Comfort Plus almost Immediarely, but it never moved from that status to First D1 except for today’s PHL-ATL segment.

Could it be that the FCM Is affecting the upgrade requests?
Old Jun 1, 2018, 11:04 pm

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
I wear my Ed Bastian mask and just walk right to the front of the plane.

Works every time.
Delta Dude and spamkiller like this.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 11:51 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Sitting in 29E on my way from ATL to NRT And reading your replies. Thanks for your inputs. I should have said that I spend Skymiles for an upgrade (anywhere from 30 to 60K miles) but didn’t want to apply GUC when booking was done in M.

FYI when I booked the tickets in M it got UG to Comfort Plus almost Immediarely, but it never moved from that status to First D1 except for today’s PHL-ATL segment.

Mileage UGs don’t go to the Gate, so if DL doesn’t release space more than 3 hours prior to departure, no UG. I hope that you didn’t waste miles however on the PHL-ATL leg and that was just a complimentary UG.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 11:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta-pm, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-PP

For being a diamond, you really seem to be at a loss on how the upgrade process works.
btonkid12345 and hockeystl like this.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 1:11 am
Original Poster

As pointed out by many, I guess I have been pretty fortunate to not have to apply GUC for upgrade to D1 I have been receiving. Thx also for pointing out the 3 hr window on the upgrade.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 5:02 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
As others have said, there’s no such thing as comp upgrades on international flights except in the instance of overbooked flights. It’s possible that since you paid for M fares, that’s pushed you to the top of the op-up list. But that should never translate into an expectation of an upgrade.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 5:11 pm

Programs: AA PLT 3MM, DL PM 2MM
2MM here at PM......I expect C+ domestic.....if I want F I pay for it.....much more affortable than years ago......if I go to Europe there are usually some routes were Delta One is "affordable".....same to NRT.....or HND......UG's are a thing of the past.....if it happens great but don't count on it.....my take
jinabe and gooselee like this.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 5:24 pm

Programs: HH-Diamond, IHG-Plat, DL-DM, PnF Plat, Kroger +
ATL-NRT is always packed. ATL is my home airport and every time I need to go to Japan I do the ATL-DTW-NGO, this is much better for me. This flight is never full and sometimes I get the row to myself.
Like others have said, maybe you got lucky the flight was oversold and got bumped.

Offtopic (no threadjack intended). Is the Caribbean considered International? We flew to Aruba and got upgraded to first both ways and these were award tickets.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 5:29 pm

Location: ATL - DL DM/3MM - HH Lifetime Diamond - Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by flying_donkeys12

For being a diamond, you really seem to be at a loss on how the upgrade process works.
I'm sure there are a lot of Diamonds who don't know how the process works, I've talked to a number of them while on flights. A very small number of Diamonds vs the total are on this forum.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.