Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Woman is fined $500 by customs officials for carrying an APPLE

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Woman is fined $500 by customs officials for carrying an APPLE

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2018, 1:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest RR, Alaska Mileage Plan™
Post Woman is fined $500 by customs officials for carrying an APPLE

Woman is fined $500 by customs officials for carrying an APPLE that was given to her for free by a Delta flight crew member.

DENVER -- An Arvada woman said she's facing a $500 fine from U.S. Customs and Border Patrol after she saved a free apple she received from an airline on her way home from Paris.

Crystal Tadlock said towards the end of her flight from Paris, flight attendants passed out apples in plastic bags. She wasn't hungry at the time so she threw the snack in her bag and planned to eat it during the second leg of her trip back to Denver.
Arvada woman trying to stomach $500 fine for free airline snack | FOX31 Denver
Old Apr 22, 2018, 1:48 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
She has Global Entry, considered a trusted traveller to know and obey the rules. Claiming ignorance or forgetfulness doesn’t cut it as a trusted traveller. And blaming Delta because they shouldn’t have given her the apple that she neglected to declare? This whole culture of blaming others when one gets caught at something makes me crazy. Here’s a novel idea - how about adults (with Global Entry no less) taking responsibility for their actions?
Old Apr 22, 2018, 1:58 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Finkface
She has Global Entry, considered a trusted traveller to know and obey the rules. Claiming ignorance or forgetfulness doesn’t cut it as a trusted traveller.

OFFS!!! Seriously?? This is an OBVIOUS example of abuse of power by a customs agent. This is absurd and I certainly hope she wins her appeal this insanity.
sunil, Colin, LegalTender and 11 others like this.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 1:59 pm

Seriously. Give me a break. They ask you if you have any fruits. Clearly she lied and said no.
It's not rocket science.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by Deadplant
Seriously. Give me a break. They ask you if you have any fruits. Clearly she lied and said no.
It's not rocket science.

really? You can't imagine forgetting that you threw an apple in your bag? Or thinking that what they mean by produce is, like, you are trying to import a bunch of produce, not an apple??
Colin and Zeeb like this.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 2:09 pm

My sister went to the thorough searching at DFW customs when she put a banana on her bag that the airline gave to her lap child. Her plan was to feed it during the layover, which ended up being much longer after missing the flight from through searching. It was a dog that found out the banana. Glad that there was no fine for the mistake. Yes, she admits it was her mistake not declaring fruit unlike this lady who blames everyone around but herself. She wrote the customs form in flight before receiving the banana (It was pre-kiosk era).
Insulator-King, muji and wrp96 like this.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 2:13 pm

Programs: Delta PM, MM
Originally Posted by Deadplant
It's not rocket science.
This! $500 for an apple in her carry on? Come on! The woman wasn’t trying to smuggle fruit into the country. She simply forgot that they had given her an apple and she had thrown it into her carryon. Same thing happened to a friends of mine, except that the apple was discovered by a sniffer dog. The customs agent threw it away and told her to have a good day.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 2:16 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
really? You can't imagine forgetting that you threw an apple in your bag? Or thinking that what they mean by produce is, like, you are trying to import a bunch of produce, not an apple??
I don’t get your outrage. The very definition of Trusted Traveler is that you know and obey the rules. In return, you generally are subject to less scrutiny because you are trusted not to forget and to know that an apple must be declared. If she doesn’t know that an apple is a fruit and doesn’t know that fruits and vegetables must be declared and doesn’t know that you don’t lie on your declaration or ‘forget’ that you have items that must be declared, then she shouldn’t have Global Entry. She is held to a higher standard than the average traveler in return for faster processing and less scrutiny.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 2:18 pm

Everyone makes mistakes, myself included.

Some mistakes have consequences clearly laid out in global entry documents we sign.....

a customs agent following the rules is not an "outrage" or "over-reach". If you get some leeway, or a "pass" from a customs agent that's great, but you're not entitled to a free pass.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
There's a long thread in the security forum about such events. There seems to be a lot of agent discretion, and experiences run the gamut.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trus...y-revoked.html
flyerCO and Insulator-King like this.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
This is super common in New Zealand. Seems silly that the airlines give out fruits towards the end of flights, though. US customs is a lot more forgiving than other countries.
Grog, tentseller and smc333 like this.

Programs: HH Diamond
She wasn't fined for carrying an apple. She was fined for not declaring an apple.

She didn't forget it. She says she was saving it for later. She lied, and then got caught on a random search.

Sucks to face consequences when you break laws. She now also blames Delta because they gave her the apple and didn't warn her not to lie about it.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by Finkface

I don’t get your outrage. The very definition of Trusted Traveler is that you know and obey the rules.

And the very definition of insanity is being fined $500 for an apple, especially when it is very clear that agents have some discretion on the matter. A ban on importing agricultural goods is important to protect our crops, etc. That does not mean that an agent can't also be a reasonable and thinking person. Even if bringing the apple was fully intentional, and not a mistake, I still think $500 is crazy and frankly just wrong.
ryanm and strickerj like this.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 2:25 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
And the very definition of insanity is being fined $500 for an apple, especially when it is very clear that agents have some discretion on the matter. A ban on importing agricultural goods is important to protect our crops, etc. That does not mean that an agent can't also be a reasonable and thinking person. Even if bringing the apple was fully intentional, and not a mistake, I still think $500 is crazy and frankly just wrong.

She didn't get fined for an apple. She got fined for lying on her customs form/kiosk.

You have to declare even snacks that you brought with you on the trip. Its simply, just say you have food and your luggage gets scanned. I did it once with Stroopwaffels. Its not that hard to not lie.
CKDGM, Grog, CDTraveler and 6 others like this.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by bitterproffit
She didn't get fined for an apple. It is perfectly legal to bring an apple in. She got fined for lying on her customs form/kiosk.

Seriously? We're talking about an apple people!!!! Lying? If she had a suitcase full of apples or other produce that would be one thing. What I am so irritated about is the obvious overreaction by the overzealous agent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.