Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Woman is fined $500 by customs officials for carrying an APPLE

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Woman is fined $500 by customs officials for carrying an APPLE

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2018, 5:36 am

over 25 years

Originally Posted by Insulator-King
Woman is fined $500 by customs officials for carrying an APPLE that was given to her for free by a Delta flight crew member.

Arvada woman trying to stomach $500 fine for free airline snack FOX31 Denver
fruits and vegetables have been import restricted....first issues to my recollection arose with florida fruit flies...must be 40 years....

in some countries its jail.....beware
Old Apr 23, 2018, 5:59 am

Programs: DL Diamond, ANA Platinum
If customs officials wanted to teach her a lesson, then it will probably backfire from a PR standpoint. Can't imagine the average person, pro traveler or not, sympathizing much with customs considering all the other issues out there in need of addressing.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 6:16 am

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by bitterproffit
We aren't talking about an apple. We are talking about lying on your customs declaration. How odd that you think there are degrees to lying.
She got off easy. Try forgetting to declare an apple entering Australia.

She probably did forget -- but a costly oversight.
Insulator-King likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 6:44 am

Programs: DL,EK
Originally Posted by writerguyfl
What could possibly happen with just a single apple? Well, Often1 gave the reason. Here's the example that Customs and Border Patrol give on their website.
One good example of problems imported fruits and vegetables can cause is the Mediterranean fruit fly outbreak during the 1980s. The outbreak cost the state of California and the federal government approximately $100 million to get rid of this pest. The cause of the outbreak was one traveler who brought home one contaminated piece of fruit. It is best not to bring fresh fruits or vegetables into the United States.
I would be highly surprised if they were able to trace it to a single, specific passenger.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 7:10 am

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Originally Posted by flyerCO
No one said anything about respect. However when you want someone to use their discretion in your favor you don't act pissy to them. This lady has blamed everyone but herself and has taken zero responsibility. Full fine is in order. I worked CS for few years . The customer who acted like a human generally got what they wanted. The one that acted like a jerk got nothing but by the book action.
That's fine at Starbucks, but government has to have much stricter guidelines than that on how to use discretion. It's not intended to be a cudgel to punish people who are insufficiently solicitous of a CBP agent (or, in practice, insufficiently white, insufficiently professional-looking, or insufficiently hot). Discretion in this context is actually intended as a way to maintain reasonable continuity between agents and cases—note that prosecutors discuss discretion by using phrases like "no reasonable prosecutor would do x,y, or z." Halfway decent agencies* would have flowcharts, lists of criteria, or precedent-based manuals for agents to use when deciding how to use their discretion. "She was rude to me so full fine is in order" should be a fireable offense.

And I hope, if you think it through, that you actually wouldn't want to live in a country where your perceived level of politeness to a government agent actually materially influences the outcome of your interaction with the government. In practice, of course it happens. But don't cheer it on.

*No idea if CBP counts here.
jdrtravel likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 7:15 am

Programs: Delta, United
One of the last times I went through CBP I declared some food (all dried, biscuits, etc.). Got a big ole X on my my GE ticket. Customs agent asked what I had. I told them. He said not to worry about such food items. I said better safe than a fine.

As for the woman, in the story. I do not feel sorry for her. But the fines are a bit much. A $100 fine for a first time occurrence would have been a good reminder.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 7:17 am
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Considering most people are just told to throw it out and go on their merry way, I think one of two things happened.

1. She was nasty/fought with the agent over this.
2. It was an overzealous power-hungry agent.
muji likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 7:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by bitterproffit
You have to declare even snacks that you brought with you on the trip. Its simply, just say you have food and your luggage gets scanned. I did it once with Stroopwaffels. Its not that hard to not lie.
It is my understanding that processed foods, like Stroopwaffels, do not have to be declared as they represent no agricultural risks. I know that I have brought in quite a bit of Israel chocolates when entering the States and never declared them and never had a problem. On the one instance that my hand luggage was x-rayed by Customs in Boston, the agent spotted it and asked, "Is that chocolate?" and when I confirmed that it was, he let it through with no other comment.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 7:31 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
I love threads like these
Old Apr 23, 2018, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by SamOF
That's fine at Starbucks, but government has to have much stricter guidelines than that on how to use discretion. It's not intended to be a cudgel to punish people who are insufficiently solicitous of a CBP agent (or, in practice, insufficiently white, insufficiently professional-looking, or insufficiently hot). Discretion in this context is actually intended as a way to maintain reasonable continuity between agents and cases—note that prosecutors discuss discretion by using phrases like "no reasonable prosecutor would do x,y, or z." Halfway decent agencies* would have flowcharts, lists of criteria, or precedent-based manuals for agents to use when deciding how to use their discretion. "She was rude to me so full fine is in order" should be a fireable offense.

And I hope, if you think it through, that you actually wouldn't want to live in a country where your perceived level of politeness to a government agent actually materially influences the outcome of your interaction with the government. In practice, of course it happens. But don't cheer it on.

*No idea if CBP counts here.
What ought to be and what actually is are often very different things.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 7:40 am

Programs: HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Dovster
It is my understanding that processed foods, like Stroopwaffels, do not have to be declared as they represent no agricultural risks. I know that I have brought in quite a bit of Israel chocolates when entering the States and never declared them and never had a problem. On the one instance that my hand luggage was x-rayed by Customs in Boston, the agent spotted it and asked, "Is that chocolate?" and when I confirmed that it was, he let it through with no other comment.
I will declare everything. I don't want to lose my GE by lying on the customs form.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 7:41 am

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by Dovster
I may be putting my trusted traveler status at risk, but this is what I've followed as well. If it's a packaged food (like German gummies for my kids), it seems a bit silly to declare it. And I've always mentioned what I had when asked and never received even a second glance from the agent.

Keith
Old Apr 23, 2018, 7:43 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by Grog
a person deserves literally anything that the law can throw at them.
lol
Old Apr 23, 2018, 7:53 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by davie355

3. Also in practical terms, it's foolish of a government to enforce customs at passenger points of entry.
--- Customs is meant to protect trade and agriculture. Shiploads of parasitic apples from a commercial importer has a low but meaningful chance of harming US agriculture. An apple in your bag is as likely to harm US agriculture as I am to marry Taylor Swift.
An orange or fig on the other hand can require a million dollar response to avoid damage to US citrus crops if it slips through.

https://www.apostille.us/news/cbp-ag...erranean.shtml
Old Apr 23, 2018, 7:56 am

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Originally Posted by gooselee
What ought to be and what actually is are often very different things.
Completely agree. But I read the post I responded to as saying “yay! The CBP agents punished her for being snotty, just like I used to do at my customer service job.”

My point was not that it never happens that way (it happens that way all the time, and it’s a major problem). My point was that it’s not something to cheer about.
jdrtravel and pvn like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.