Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Woman is fined $500 by customs officials for carrying an APPLE

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Woman is fined $500 by customs officials for carrying an APPLE

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2018, 5:40 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Grog
If it were fully intentional and not a mistake, a person deserves literally anything that the law can throw at them.
Thank god you're not king. Or my boss or spouse.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 5:44 pm

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Thank god you're not king. Or my boss or spouse.
Why? Because you'd like to be able to intentionally deceive any or all of the three and get away with little or no consequences for the deceit? Alrighty then.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 5:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by jms_uk
Same here, only with an orange I forgot about [agricultural violation] in 2010 and a reminder at my GE interview in Jan 2016. Same stern warning - I now definitely make sure not to have anything undeclared with me.

I find it easier to always declare 'food', just in case I miss or forget something like an airline package of peanuts or a pack of gum.

Yes, at my interview I was told that anything that goes in my mouth has to be declared: gum, breath mints, etc. Would all agents take a hard line about a pack of gum? I don't know, but it only takes one.

Awkward when you declare a package of chocolates and the agent snaps at you and asks (literally) 'why are you wasting my time?', but better safe than sorry.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 5:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by Error 601
The thing that infuriates me about these situations is every single time I declare food in the US and UK the customs officer acts like I'm wasting their time or mentally handicapped. It is a major case of mixed messages.
This is EXACTLY what annoys me too.
If I have food, I declare it. (It's not normally food that requires confiscation, but declaration), yet the officials give me this: "Really? You declared THIS?" look sometimes.

BTW (I didn't read all posts) but if one has Global Entry, I suggest to declare EVERYTHING. A consequence of being caught without having declared food items is the LOSS of Global Entry privileges.
muji and wrp96 like this.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 5:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
And the very definition of insanity is being fined $500 for an apple, especially when it is very clear that agents have some discretion on the matter. A ban on importing agricultural goods is important to protect our crops, etc. That does not mean that an agent can't also be a reasonable and thinking person. Even if bringing the apple was fully intentional, and not a mistake, I still think $500 is crazy and frankly just wrong.
Why do you keep repeating the same incorrect statement? Just because the woman said it some reporter?

The woman was not issued a proposed fine because she imported an apple. She was issued a proposed fine because she lied on her declaration. Just to be clear, here is the question as it would have appeared on the GE screen:

"I am bringing fruits, vegetables, plants, seeds, food, insects." YES NO

She received the standard $500 proposed fine, just as many other people do and will likely have her GE revoked. GE is a program for trusted travelers. She can't be trusted, so her membership is revoked.

Just to be clear, the reason I have inserted "proposed" is that you also keep repeating the same incorrect statement, e.g. that the Officer fined her. He did not. He has proposed a $500 fine. She may choose to admit the violation and pay the $500 fine. Or she may contest the citation and a hearing officer, in the first instance, may dismiss the matter, impose a fine of less than $500, impose the $500, or impose a fine of up to $11,000.

This is not DL's fault for giving her an apple.
This is not DL's fault for not telling her that the apple is food.
This is not CBP's fault for not telling her that the apple is food.

Why is all of this an issue? Because food-borne parasites are a serious threat to US agriculture.
Grog and wrp96 like this.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 5:55 pm

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
I got a guy at USCBP pre-clearance in Vancouver who loudly berated me and asked if I wanted to declare the scum under my finger nails and the contents of my intestines too while I was at it.

I got roughly the same treatment privately after being sent to secondary in Canada for declaring a fruit energy bar.

It is the agricultural guys who get really, really obnoxious though. They resent having to do anything at all.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 5:57 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by justforfun
If I remember correctly, New Zealand very aggressively warns you about having fruit as you're walking to customs and has bins for you to throw any away.
In NZ, its a $200 fine on the spot for any thing prohibited being brought into the country. As others have said, they have numerous signs and bins along the queue in NZ that make it very clear.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by Youngmiler
In NZ, its a $200 fine on the spot for any thing prohibited being brought into the country. As others have said, they have numerous signs and bins along the queue in NZ that make it very clear.
No it’s not. It’s $NZ 400 for most agricultural items, which is a bit under $300.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 6:26 pm

Programs: DL DM; Hilton Diamond; Marriott LT Titanium; Long live SPG... f MAR
Originally Posted by pbarnette
I almost always exceed the duty free allowance on alcohol. I always declare it. I've never been charged duty. The closest I came to having to pay was bringing 2 cases of wine back from Oz, but the agent gave up calculating the duty halfway through and sent me on my way.
https://www.abc.ca.gov/permits/importing.html

I've had this issue several times. The agents seem to think that 2 duty free means 2. Every time I go to AUS, I take empty case boxes and come back with 2+ cases. One time (I think I had 18 bottles), I recall the agent at LAX had huge eyes and told me that was "enough to look like I was importing." To which I replied "Have you ever been to a party?" I now keep that link bookmarked and refer the to the fact that 60 liters is considered "reasonable," so 2 cases is considerably more reasonable. I've never had to pay duty, but I think it's in the neighborhood of 5 - 10 cents a bottle.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 6:42 pm

This entire thread may as well be renamed “why I hate FlyerTalk half the time”...

Once again, act as high and holy as you pretend to be from behind your keyboard, but on the off chance YOU forgot to declare your apple on the way back in to the US and were fined $500 (by a customs agent with an extremely snarky quote ... clearly power hungry) perhaps you’d feel a little differently.

but who am I kidding...this is FlyerTalk...how dare JoeBlow from 13C store his carryon in your spot above 12D, let alone forget an apple at customs...
yohanson likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 6:46 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by jk88usa
This entire thread may as well be renamed “why I hate FlyerTalk half the time”...

Once again, act as high and holy as you pretend to be from behind your keyboard, but on the off chance YOU forgot to declare your apple on the way back in to the US and were fined $500 (by a customs agent with an extremely snarky quote ... clearly power hungry) perhaps you’d feel a little differently.

but who am I kidding...this is FlyerTalk...how dare JoeBlow from 13C store his carryon in your spot above 12D, let alone forget an apple at customs...
Because she is a Trusted Travel by way of having GE. They trust her not to forget or not to purposely lie, and moreover, to know the rules and to follow them. And the punishment for breaking any rules of GE are hammered in at the time of application and interview. Why would they trust anyone who either knowingly breaks the rules or worse, doesn’t know them in the first place? Rather than typing it all again, I’ll just quote myself from earlier.
Originally Posted by Finkface
I don’t get your outrage. The very definition of Trusted Traveler is that you know and obey the rules. In return, you generally are subject to less scrutiny because you are trusted not to forget and to know that an apple must be declared. If she doesn’t know that an apple is a fruit and doesn’t know that fruits and vegetables must be declared and doesn’t know that you don’t lie on your declaration or ‘forget’ that you have items that must be declared, then she shouldn’t have Global Entry. She is held to a higher standard than the average traveler in return for faster processing and less scrutiny.
closecover and wrp96 like this.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 6:57 pm

My thoughts.

1. In strict terms, only two parties to this encounter are in violation of anything.
--- Passenger: failure to declare
--- Officer: failure to adhere to courtesy and professionalism which CBP nominally requires of its officers
------ What's wrong with saying, "Ma'am, there's an apple in your bag, but your declaration says you are carrying no fruit. Unfortunately that requires me to fine you $500."

2. In practical terms, it's foolish of an airline to hand out contraband on arrival. Even if declared, the apple will need be thrown away.

3. Also in practical terms, it's foolish of a government to enforce customs at passenger points of entry.
--- Customs is meant to protect trade and agriculture. Shiploads of parasitic apples from a commercial importer has a low but meaningful chance of harming US agriculture. An apple in your bag is as likely to harm US agriculture as I am to marry Taylor Swift.
strickerj likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 7:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by hoyt
https://www.abc.ca.gov/permits/importing.html

I've had this issue several times. The agents seem to think that 2 duty free means 2. Every time I go to AUS, I take empty case boxes and come back with 2+ cases. One time (I think I had 18 bottles), I recall the agent at LAX had huge eyes and told me that was "enough to look like I was importing." To which I replied "Have you ever been to a party?" I now keep that link bookmarked and refer the to the fact that 60 liters is considered "reasonable," so 2 cases is considerably more reasonable. I've never had to pay duty, but I think it's in the neighborhood of 5 - 10 cents a bottle.
I've never been questioned about quantities. I guess there is some risk, but I would just tell them I am a collector. I have somewhere north of 500 bottles, so a couple of cases is nothing. In the LA instance, I had the impression that the officer was relatively new to the job - he was young and conferred with a colleague about what to do. Otherwise, I've never really been questioned beyond the occasional joke like "can I come over" or "did you bring me any".

I would note that the US, while they don't set a specific threshold, do have some statements (such as the link below) that suggest even two cases may be deemed suspicious.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...aENRX1BSS24%3D
Old Apr 22, 2018, 8:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by davie355
An apple in your bag is as likely to harm US agriculture as I am to marry Taylor Swift.
So, when's the wedding?
Old Apr 22, 2018, 8:16 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Error 601
The thing that infuriates me about these situations is every single time I declare food in the US and UK the customs officer acts like I'm wasting their time or mentally handicapped. It is a major case of mixed messages.
It's really not a mixed message. The officers are looking for a few, specific things: resellers, honesty, and banned items.

Back onto the topic, this woman deserves the fine. Somewhere along the lines, it became ok to lie and deceive because you don't want to be inconvenienced.
Grog, closecover and wrp96 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.