Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

USA Today: The number of Delta passengers who bought tickets with NRA discount: 13

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USA Today: The number of Delta passengers who bought tickets with NRA discount: 13

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2018, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Prem1K, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by kdonnel
Delta made a political statement and faced a political response.

Words have consequences.
This.

DL hopped on the bandwagon because that's what they thought the "cool kids" were doing and - SURPRISE! - it cost them. It turns out that Ed Bastian was wrong, there IS a price for DL's "principles" and that price was $40 million.

O/H
yohanson and readywhenyouare like this.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 4:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
That's even worse: 2% on an M fare. What kind of discount is that?

I guess this discount program didn't bring many additional customers or much additional revenue to DL.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by jtatlanta
Agreed as an Atlanta flyer it makes me more likely to choose Delta now they have told the NRA to get lost.

i love people that say say things like this. As if they had supported them you would have avoided them.....

this is beyond stupid. DL committed the ultimate npolitical blunder and now they will pay for it.

If they really felt that they were picking sides they could have quietly done this and not said anything. Make no mistake, they were passive aggressively attacking the NRA and it’s members. The public announcement was tantamount to a condemnation.

I hope they they get smoked for it. I hate when companies make a statement for or against anything. They should stick to selling transportation and leave Social statements to those with less to lose.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 7:11 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyingBeanCounter

i love people that say say things like this. As if they had supported them you would have avoided them.....

this is beyond stupid. DL committed the ultimate npolitical blunder and now they will pay for it.

If they really felt that they were picking sides they could have quietly done this and not said anything. Make no mistake, they were passive aggressively attacking the NRA and it’s members. The public announcement was tantamount to a condemnation.

I hope they they get smoked for it. I hate when companies make a statement for or against anything. They should stick to selling transportation and leave Social statements to those with less to lose.
Delta is the biggest private employer in Georgia. I hope they play hardball with these troglodytes in the Georgia government and move a bunch of business to their other hubs. There are numerous states who would welcome Delta with open arms, these politicians have a pair of twos and Delta has 4 aces.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 7:50 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by Occupationalhazard
This.

DL hopped on the bandwagon because that's what they thought the "cool kids" were doing and - SURPRISE! - it cost them. It turns out that Ed Bastian was wrong, there IS a price for DL's "principles" and that price was $40 million.

O/H
I'd say their mistake was offering the discount in the first place. The NRA was a polarizing organization before the latest protests. Best to avoid catering to an organization like that.

Airlines that never offered an NRA discount are not losing anything.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
I'd say their mistake was offering the discount in the first place. The NRA was a polarizing organization before the latest protests. Best to avoid catering to an organization like that.

I think the mistake was that Delta used the public route to do it, via Twitter. Perhaps they valued the free advertising they thought it would generate as far more value than any revenue they brought it through their discount program with the NRA. I think DL should have quietly terminated the membership with the NRA, and leave it to the NRA to go public if they (the NRA wanted. There wasn’t a reason to do this publicly except for Delta to say “Look what we did!” That said, I also think the GA State Legislator is out of line in its response, and this shows a bigger problem and that is how much of a grip these lobbying firms have on the politicians. Delta as a company has freedom of association and has the right to give or not give discounts to organizations as they see fit and the government shouldn’t be “punishing” corporations for exercising freedom of association unless they’re violating civil rights.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by Pretzelsandpeanuts

Delta is the biggest private employer in Georgia. I hope they play hardball with these troglodytes in the Georgia government and move a bunch of business to their other hubs. There are numerous states who would welcome Delta with open arms, these politicians have a pair of twos and Delta has 4 aces.

good luck. Delta is no more moving than the Georgia legislature will back down.

DL should just apologize for the fuss and elect not to do it again next year. I don’t care about the nra one way or another. I do care that vendors I employ exercise sound judgement. This is something I would expect from United. They seem to have a gift for this sort of bad publicity. DL has failed here in a large and public way. The fact that a few people see this as good doesn’t change that.

To put it another way, I doubt this will do anything to give them business. Will it detract business?
Old Mar 3, 2018, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR

I think the mistake was that Delta used the public route to do it, via Twitter. Perhaps they valued the free advertising they thought it would generate as far more value than any revenue they brought it through their discount program with the NRA. I think DL should have quietly terminated the membership with the NRA, and leave it to the NRA to go public if they (the NRA wanted. There wasn’t a reason to do this publicly except for Delta to say “Look what we did!” That said, I also think the GA State Legislator is out of line in its response, and this shows a bigger problem and that is how much of a grip these lobbying firms have on the politicians. Delta as a company has freedom of association and has the right to give or not give discounts to organizations as they see fit and the government shouldn’t be “punishing” corporations for exercising freedom of association unless they’re violating civil rights.
Totally valid point. If Delta was trying to make a PR move out of this, then they are being political about it.

However, I thought their tweet was pretty humble and straightforward, trying to play neutral. If organizations were hounding Delta about the discount, they probably needed to say something about it once they dropped it. Twitter is one of the more casual ways to do that.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingBeanCounter
Will it detract business?
In one sense, they’re already $40M in the hole, comparatively that’s one day at ATL without Georgia Power.

Was it worth it just to say no to 13 people saving maybe $100?

As much as they alienate the political lobbying arm of the gun lobby, they also alienate the counter-assault instructors and casual enthusiasts. They just turned their backs and support away from the man that saved all those people in the Texas church shooting.

So the easiest way to stay A-political is to eliminate all 2,000+ discounts as to not offend anyone.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 8:25 pm

" Tax breaks on fuel for companies making $$$ are silly."....

Well, the tax itself could be questioned. Why is there a tax to begin with that a "break" can be given? What service did the state provide for which they are recouping their expenses from? Maybe there are some, but most likely the local/county folks are the people who may actually have real expenses. Better guess is that the tax is just sopping money because the state can.

Interesting that the folks giving a "boo-yah" to the local government officials are saying.. please tax us more. And if the thought is that it is ok to randomly tax a big business, beware smaller and smaller business owners.

Sorry, may have ventured into the dreaded Omni territory there..
Old Mar 3, 2018, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by Ysitincoach
Was it worth it just to say no to 13 people saving maybe $100?
Um, you know they didn't eliminate the discount because of the direct revenue impact, surely.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Sounds like a good deal for Georgia... getting 40M+ added back in to their tax revenues.

DL played the political correctness card and got burned.
Ysitincoach and yohanson like this.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Prem1K, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by CPMaverick

Maybe, but as long as we have a time machine I'd like to go back to 1986 and load up on the MSFT IPO.

I think the mistake was that Delta used the public route to do it, via Twitter.
That was kind of the point for them, though.

There wasn’t a reason to do this publicly except for Delta to say “Look what we did!”
Well, yeah, that's why they did it, so they could say, "Look at us, being all progressive and cool over here in our berets and black tshirts!"

That said, I also think the GA State Legislator is out of line in its response, and this shows a bigger problem and that is how much of a grip these lobbying firms have on the politicians. Delta as a company has freedom of association and has the right to give or not give discounts to organizations as they see fit and the government shouldn’t be “punishing” corporations for exercising freedom of association unless they’re violating civil rights.
I've been an NRA member for over half my life and it's not going to affect my travel plans with DL one iota. That said, I think that it's good that a big company like DL got a "Code Red" on their PC crapola. Just like when SBUX changed their "holiday" cup to be more "inclusive" - if they just changed the cup nobody would have cared, it was the tiresome, nagging lecture that did them in.

O/H
yohanson likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 9:26 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Originally Posted by apodo77
Are tax breaks subsidies? Sounds like DL was enjoying a very nice one if they are.
It was a proposed tax break. Delta had been paying full tax on fuel.

In the end I do not see Delta sponsoring events as frequently in Georgia as they have in the past.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 9:37 pm

Programs: AA; Delta GM
I support Delta's actions (which were duplicated by United Airlines). While I am not in the position to change existing airline reservations on a whim, I would have ceased to do business with Delta after my currently scheduled flights were completed and flown other airlines going forward if Delta had not made the decision which they did.

YMMV. That's the beauty of the marketplace.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.