Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Wants To Be 797 Launch Customer

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2018, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by Austin787
I don't think current Delta management will order the 797 since they have made clear they prefer Airbus. I agree with the OP on Delta mentioning Boeing as a negotiation technique to keep Airbus honest on price. Delta may also want to push Airbus into launching a competitor to the 797.
Delta is operating 58 767’s. Airbus has no product to replace them.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 11:31 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Originally Posted by Jeff767

Delta is operating 58 767’s. Airbus has no product to replace them.
Airbus could launch a lighter weight version of the A330 with lower range.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 12:25 pm

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
DL is an airline that tries rather hard to curate aircraft to route to demand so I can see a play for the 797, particularly on transcons where DL wants to increase capacity and, as was discussed earlier, slot-restricted airports where it could free up some slots. Also opens up the possibility to consider TATL routes where there a need for more seats than a 757 and fewer than a 767, in a plane that is more efficient operate.

As for DL's relationship with Boeing, let's remember, Boeing is a business and DL is a customer. It's not a friendship, it's a business relationship. DL will go with Boeing when it makes sense and will go others when it makes more sense.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by Austin787
Airbus could launch a lighter weight version of the A330 with lower range.
Aircraft shrinks almost never succeed commercially. You can’t structurally reduce the weight enough. Airbus does offer a smaller version called the A330-800. They have sold 6 to Hawaiian and they want to cancel leaving sales at zero. By designing to 225 seats from a clean sheet Boeing is projecting a 25% per trip fuel burn reduction from the 787. There is no way to economical build a 225 seat A330.
jinglish likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 1:32 pm

Programs: Million Miles achieved | 2017 Delta Platinum, United NADA, Global Entry, PreCheck, NEXUS
Originally Posted by [b
readywhenyouare;29415546]I can guarantee that seat comfort is the last thing on Delta's mind when selecting an aircraft.
You’re right of course, but it’s sad for the customer like me who could use an extra inch or two of seat width. Especially on long haul. I’m willing to pay (my own money) for a wider seat, but Business is too pricey. Sigh.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 1:34 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Considering that Delta has added premium economy and plans on expanding it to more of its longhaul fleet, this seems like a weird position.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 1:47 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by kop84
The narrow-body order, the A320 family is just more comfortable than the 739, even though DL has a ton of those as well...there are entire threads to hating the 739. The A321 is wider than the 739 so regardless of how the 739 is configured the Airbus can offer more seat width..
If you are implying DL picked the A321 based on customer comfort I wanted to thank you for the laugh.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 1:51 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by apodo77
If you are implying DL picked the A321 based on customer comfort I wanted to thank you for the laugh.
CASM and fit for routes is obviously their #1 criteria, but Delta has cited NPS being higher in the A320 family than 737 family. Could be a retroactive excuse, but it's something they may actually consider as a secondary (ok, probably tertiary ) factor.

edit: just looked for a reference to this on Google but can't find one. I feel for sure I read that somewhere but may have made up this statistic/factoid...
Old Feb 14, 2018, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by apodo77
No I don't think DL did it for our comfort, but they ARE more comfortable than the 739
Old Feb 14, 2018, 1:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by Jeff767
in the last 6 years Delta has purchased almost 140 Boeing aircraft. The last 10 purchased in 2017.
Stop with your facts. This is FT!
Old Feb 14, 2018, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
That was the rationale for American to ask for the DC-10 fifty years ago.

La Guardia Turns 75: An In-Depth Look at the Airport's Distinguished History - NYCAviationNYCAviation

Nice article. I can't recall seeing it before, and it has some wonderful photos along with the story. ^
Old Feb 14, 2018, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by pbarnette
Stop with your facts. This is FT!
No reason to let facts get in the way of an emotion-driven agenda I generally believe that the primary factor in Delta's decision making is margin. Margin has two components: revenue and expense. Although I don't think they always factor corrected (domestic F meals being a prime example), I think DL does carefully consider if additional expense will actually lead to higher revenue that would produce a higher margin. They do consider pax comfort because there are many people that are willing to pay more for it, proven by the existence of PE and C+, but it is one of many factors they will consider as part of a holistic analysis. If the 797 provides an attractive money making opportunity, DL will buy the plane, but its going to be a long time before the 797 is finalized and before the first delivery is made. A lot can happen between now and then, including the intro of new aircraft from other manufacturers that have better metrics and changes in the economy, global and domestic travel and oil prices that might make other options more attractive. There is going to be enough global demand from carriers around the world that Boeing will not provide enough of a discount to make it financially attractive for DL to be the launch customer, but I do expect that DL would purchase a significant number of the aircraft to fill the gaps of 767/757 (if the 797 really is a comp to those models - no guarantee) retirements assuming the world is not materially different when the 797 launches from its current state today. In the meantime, it doesn't hurt to say they are interested.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by The Situation
There is going to be enough global demand from carriers around the world that Boeing will not provide enough of a discount to make it financially attractive for DL to be the launch customer, but I do expect that DL would purchase a significant number of the aircraft to fill the gaps of 767/757 (if the 797 really is a comp to those models - no guarantee) retirements assuming the world is not materially different when the 797 launches from its current state today. In the meantime, it doesn't hurt to say they are interested.
Delta doesn't really have the luxury of time to wait for another carrier to commit, to see them in service, for Delta to order and wait 18+ months for delivery. As noted above, DL has 100 757-200s averaging about 20 years of age (not including charter aircraft Delta doesn't count in the active fleet) and 59 767-300s, average age 22 years. Sure, cycles and hours are better predictors of available life but we can see DL has been retiring 752s generally between 28 and 30 years old. Seven years to MOM in service at Delta can work; 10-12 really doesn't. It would force purchase of something else as a bridge, like the 787s and 339s that are suboptimal and the drive behind DL's interest in a 797. (Or, a significant restructuring of the TATL network for more CDG/AMS connections. DL isn't going to fill a 339 on JFK-ZRH/MXP/BRU/DUB at good fares year 'round.)

https://www.planespotters.net/airline/Delta-Air-Lines
Old Feb 14, 2018, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ine&yptr=yahoo

Yeah, no. There is no way Boeing is going to fall for that. We've seen it time and time again. Delta hasn't had any interest in Boeing in nearly a decade. They only use Boeing to get a better price from Airbus. With a fleet of 300 A321's this just isn't going to happen. Delta is firmly in the hands of Airbus and it will remain that way.

Delta has bought 100+ 737s and also worked a deal to get nearly 100 717s (plus additional 738s and 757s on the used market).

The A321 isn't a 767 replacement. It has absolutely nothing to do with what Ed is talking about.

LOL good idea.

I just think it is beyond fishy that Boeing has lost every Delta aircraft bid.

They haven't lost every bid. They have lost two.

Delta is the only major US airline to not operate the 787 or 737Max. They can't be as bad as Delta claims or the other airlines wouldn't have ordered thousands of them. I just don't see this as anything other than trying to get a lower price from Airbus. If I were Boeing I'd send Delta the MSRP pricing list and say that is the lowest they will go. There is no need for their sales team to waste their time on a dead end like Delta.
You were told pretty clearly why Delta didn't order the 737MAX, you just happen to think a company should turn down billions on profit for a Boeing deal because.....well I'm not sure anyone knows why.
When GE/CFM are willing to play ball they will get orders. Delta has just started its orders for next generation narrow bodies.

As for the 787, Boeing didn't have the slots. It works out that way at times. Also, Rolls was willing to offer a much better engine package if Delta got the Trent XWB.
Originally Posted by ethernal
People are ridiculous. The notion that Delta is never going to buy a Boeing plane because of a couple of supposed spats doesn't understand the industry whatsoever.
  • Delta runs the third-largest MRO in the world with over a hundred third party customers. This helps them achieve both direct profit as well as indirect profit (increasing scale of MX ops reduces internal MX costs which can have high fixed costs related to spare parts inventory, etc). They have no intention to stop servicing Boeing jets - which means they will still want to own a mix of them in their fleets.
  • Any airline that runs a complex global route network like Delta would be disadvantaged from running a single airplane because even within-class Airbus and Boeing planes have different pros and cons
  • Negotiating power matters. While the benefits of a single plane outweighs the loss of negotiating power for, e.g., Southwest, the fact is that Delta is still going to run a complex mixed fleet - so they lose the benefits of a single airliner without a commiserate increase in negotiating power.
readywhenyouare doesn't believe in any of this. The maintenance side and the profit it brings to the table is stupid.
jinglish likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 4:36 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Dawgfan6291

Delta has bought 100+ 737s and also worked a deal to get nearly 100 717s (plus additional 738s and 757s on the used market).

The A321 isn't a 767 replacement. It has absolutely nothing to do with what Ed is talking about.

They haven't lost every bid. They have lost two.

You were told pretty clearly why Delta didn't order the 737MAX, you just happen to think a company should turn down billions on profit for a Boeing deal because.....well I'm not sure anyone knows why.
When GE/CFM are willing to play ball they will get orders. Delta has just started its orders for next generation narrow bodies.

As for the 787, Boeing didn't have the slots. It works out that way at times. Also, Rolls was willing to offer a much better engine package if Delta got the Trent XWB.

readywhenyouare doesn't believe in any of this. The maintenance side and the profit it brings to the table is stupid.
If Delta wants to be a one trick pony with Airbus and RR then that's fine. Why should GE bend over and give business away to Delta Tech Ops? GE has their own engine service and support division.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.