Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ATL Security Question

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2018, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by CVFDCHIEF180
I am in a separate PNR from my wife........I am using a GUC and she is on a ticket using miles.
Again... that is not clear and really has little bearing. Does your PNR/ticket go al the way through, or does one ticket END in Atlanta, and then you have another.

And, as said, right after you leave customs, there is a TSA security setup right there. the few times we went through, there was little to no line.

Customs/Immigration could be a hold up. Security will not be.

Whomever said to leave the terminal and then come back in ... well, it makes no sense.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 12:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by NoStressHere
Again... that is not clear and really has little bearing. Does your PNR/ticket go al the way through, or does one ticket END in Atlanta, and then you have another.

And, as said, right after you leave customs, there is a TSA security setup right there. the few times we went through, there was little to no line.

Customs/Immigration could be a hold up. Security will not be.

Whomever said to leave the terminal and then come back in ... well, it makes no sense.
I've seen bad lines for TSA security after exiting customs at ATL E and F. In fact, one time the line at F was so bad that an employee gathered a bunch of passengers and took them upstairs to do TSA security with the departing (originating) passengers at F,
Old Mar 5, 2020, 8:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, TSA Pre-Check
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I've seen bad lines for TSA security after exiting customs at ATL E and F. In fact, one time the line at F was so bad that an employee gathered a bunch of passengers and took them upstairs to do TSA security with the departing (originating) passengers at F,
Has anything changed in regards to re-clearing security AFTER clearing customs in Atlanta? They haven't added a Pre-Check or clear option post customs have they? I am posting to the Delta thread as I feel this might be my best bet at getting a response.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 8:57 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Has anything changed in regards to re-clearing security AFTER clearing customs in Atlanta? They haven't added a Pre-Check or clear option post customs have they? I am posting to the Delta thread as I feel this might be my best bet at getting a response.
ATL has had a PreCheck lane at the I-to-D security checkpoint since at least Sep. 2018.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 9:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, TSA Pre-Check
Originally Posted by Zorak
ATL has had a PreCheck lane at the I-to-D security checkpoint since at least Sep. 2018.
That is wonderful.....last time I went I to D was in March of 2018 and they did not.....lets just say it was a ZOO.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 9:09 am

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
That is wonderful.....last time I went I to D was in March of 2018 and they did not.....lets just say it was a ZOO.
It's mostly moot now, but there's also always the option to exit landside and go upstairs to use Pre/CLEAR at the regular checkpoint depending how long the line looks and whether you feel like taking off your shoes and removing your laptop/liquids etc.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 9:20 am
Original Poster

It's mostly moot now, but there's also always the option to exit landside and go upstairs to use Pre/CLEAR at the regular checkpoint depending how long the line looks and whether you feel like taking off your shoes and removing your laptop/liquids etc.
According to Zorak in the above post its not an issue since they have pre-check now
Old Mar 5, 2020, 9:34 am

According to Zorak in the above post its not an issue since they have pre-check now
Hence why I said "It's mostly moot now"

It's also useful to keep in mind when transiting at airports that don't have I-D Precheck.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 9:45 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
That is not correct as ATL International does not have CLEAR at it (only domestic which you have to take a bus to). Also PRE is only open from 6:30 - 9:30 AM and 12:30 - 5:30 PM in international.
Zorak likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 2:37 pm
Original Poster

I am more confused now than I was......so ATL does or does not have Pre-Check after you clear Customs and they have to re-clear security to take your Domestic flight?
Old Mar 5, 2020, 4:04 pm

I am more confused now than I was......so ATL does or does not have Pre-Check after you clear Customs and they have to re-clear security to take your Domestic flight?
They do (though I should caveat that I've only been through F and can't speak to E)

vincentharris was correcting me that there is no CLEAR if you exit and go upstairs to use the regular checkpoint (as opposed to the one in the customs area).
Old Mar 5, 2020, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by vincentharris
That is not correct as ATL International does not have CLEAR at it (only domestic which you have to take a bus to). Also PRE is only open from 6:30 - 9:30 AM and 12:30 - 5:30 PM in international.
The pre-check hours need an explanation. If you go through TSA at ATL international outside of the precheck hours and you have precheck, they give you the precheck pass during the ID check and you are supposed to use the precheck lane on the far right.

If you have checked bags or carry-on liquids and don't want to take your connection and you land in E, you tell the customs officer that you don't want to take your connecting flight and they will get someone to help you get your bags and be released to F. I did this in October 2019 and a few other people were doing the same thing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.