Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ATL Security Question

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2018, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, TSA Pre-Check
ATL Security Question

I realize this might not be the correct thread but I have done extensive research and thought I would put it in this thread since ATL has a large majority of Delta flights. I am flying through Atlanta (from GCM) on a Saturday and will have to re clear security and catch a Domestic flight. The minimum connection time I have found allowed is 1 hour 25 minutes which is exactly the amount of time we have. One of the posts I found advised people to go out and re clear regular security since I have both Pre-Check and Clear however the International Terminal security lines close at 5:30 which makes this not an option. The past several years I have done this customs was a zoo and took forever to re clear security so I had a few questions:

-Do they still have a Sky Priority line re-clearing security? I have noticed it before but they always say "it is closed" so I didn't know those hours.

-Since its all underground do all flights arriving in both F and E funnel to the same customs area? I was curious if it was 2 different customs area and you might have better luck re-clearing security in one vs. the other.....since its underground I have never been able to tell and I only fly internationally once a year.

-What are the options for getting transportation pre-security from outside F or E back to the main security entrance (taxi, UBER, shuttle, etc...)? If it was a total zoo I thought about using that option as a last resort depending on time since all 3 of us are Pre-Check and Clear.

Any help anyone can give would be appreciated.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 12:18 pm

Programs: Skymiles GM
I don't think you go through security again. You definitely go through customs, but there is a specific area for connections customs in E.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 12:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Details please. Are you arriving and departing both on DL operated flights? Do you have a single ticket/PNR? Will you have checked luggage? Could any checked luggage pass a carry on in terms of (a) size and (b) prohibited items?
Old Feb 12, 2018, 12:33 pm

Programs: DL DM 1MM+, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Regardless of you landing in E or F, you will clear customs in F. Because you have access to your luggage, you will have to re-clear security prior to boarding a domestic flight.

If you choose to go to the ticketing level and re-clear security, there is a checkpoint at terminal F, so you do not need to go to the domestic terminal over by T. However, nobody will really be able to tell you which method is faster as it will be dictated by how many flights land and clear customs about the same time yours does.

I have PreCheck typically. So after clearing customs, I generally go upstairs to the departures level in F to go thru security as the departures level has PreCheck. The customs checkpoint does not, but from what I remember, they do have SkyPriority. You will have to take your shoes off an do the normal non-precheck screening though.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, TSA Pre-Check
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Details please. Are you arriving and departing both on DL operated flights? Do you have a single ticket/PNR? Will you have checked luggage? Could any checked luggage pass a carry on in terms of (a) size and (b) prohibited items?
Sorry I should have included that and I did not......we are on separate PNR's (me DM, wife GM) and we will have checked bags that will not be possible to fit as carry on's. I should also have asked do we have the ability to re check our bags and then exit or once you get that far is it even an option (I cannot remember).
Old Feb 12, 2018, 1:39 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite/Lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum Medallion, Hertz #1 Gold
Will delta thru check bags on 2 PNRs?
Old Feb 12, 2018, 1:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by jamiestr
I don't think you go through security again. You definitely go through customs, but there is a specific area for connections customs in E.
HUH? AFAIK every international arrival that isn't "precleared" goes through TSA airport security after exiting customs and before being allowed to either go airside in a USA airport or make a connecting flight.. Otherwise someone could move a prohibited item from a checked bag into a carry on piece.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 3:45 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by CVFDCHIEF180
have to re clear security and catch a Domestic flight.....One of the posts I found advised people to go out and re clear regular security since I have both Pre-Check and Clear however the International Terminal security lines close at 5:30 which makes this not an option.

-What are the options for getting transportation pre-security from outside F or E back to the main security entrance (taxi, UBER, shuttle, etc...)? If it was a total zoo I thought about using that option as a last resort depending on time since all 3 of us are Pre-Check and Clear.
I've never done it, but I'm thinking that by the time you would exit from F, get whatever transportation you're getting, loop around to T to re-enter the airport and get to security, you might as well just wait in line at the post-customs security checkpoint in F.
davetravels and gooselee like this.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 3:47 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by IslesFan
Will delta thru check bags on 2 PNRs?
It's irrelevant, as the OP would have to claim his bags for customs anyway.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 5:10 pm

TSA pre-check security closes at 5:30pm, but I'm quite sure the F-terminal regular security does not. There are a number of TATL evening departures on Delta out of F including at least one near midnight - to CDG I believe.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 5:11 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite/Lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum Medallion, Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by ncwillett
Not necessarily, isn't there a bag drop right after clearing customs?
Old Feb 12, 2018, 5:17 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by ncwillett
That is not 100% correct. If the bags are not thru checked, and the pax arrives in E, the bags will go to F customs. If they are thru checked, they go to E customs.

How that effects the timeline can be variable. Might actually be better to walk to F so as to avoid the somewhat iffy E security (I have never had an issue, but it has been reported enough that I presume it to be true). If that is true, NOT thru checking could be better.

OP, you probably are fine. The only time I had a tight I->D connection at ATL, after landing a couple minutes late I had time to hit the Sky Club for a drink, But there is always risk.

EDIT: OP, on your question about groundside transit, that is no issue. At either E or F you will reclear TSA immeditaly and be airside where the airport is fully connected.

Last edited by exwannabe; Feb 12, 2018 at 5:24 pm
Old Feb 12, 2018, 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by CVFDCHIEF180
we are on separate PNR's (me DM, wife GM)
Do you just mean that your PNR is separate from your wife's? I think what MSPeconomist was asking is whether the incoming (international) flight is on a separate PNR from the outgoing (domestic) one.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 12:55 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG AMB, National EE
I didn't realize there was an option to claim checked bags, recheck them, and then go to a different security checkpoint the last time I came through ATL. Immigration and customs were essentially empty, but the TSA checkpoint down there was a disaster. No sky priority, no pre-check. Just a sea of humanity. If there were any other option, I would choose that over standing in that line.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 9:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyingEgghead
Do you just mean that your PNR is separate from your wife's? I think what MSPeconomist was asking is whether the incoming (international) flight is on a separate PNR from the outgoing (domestic) one.
I am in a separate PNR from my wife........I am using a GUC and she is on a ticket using miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.