Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US East Coast Weather Waivers

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2018, 1:05 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare

How does Air Canada manage? How do they manage in MSP? If Delta can't handle a little snow and ice in Georgia then something is seriously wrong.
They don't. Just in the last few weeks ago both DTW and YYZ had *average* delays of over 4.5 hours for snow and had many cancellations.

DL (and all the others, but you seem to have an axe to grind with DL) handle the weather in FL/GA just fine. They issue waivers, and then pull down the schedule as weather dictates. This is airline operations 101.

UPS even has a weather service alert out. How could they not have snow chains on trucks in SC/GA?! /Sarcasm.

https://www.ups.com/us/en/service-alerts.page?id=alert1
cestmoi123 likes this.

Last edited by HDQDD; Jan 3, 2018 at 3:11 pm
Old Jan 3, 2018, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by kitkat77
I'd call on this one too. I don't think they officially would do it for the 1/07 unless part of the same reservation as the 1/04, so the website wouldn't back this up, but I've had luck calling when I have two one-ways and the first was WX affected to the point of negating what was essentially the return trip. They allowed me to cancel and redeposit both even within the 72 hour window. I'm not sure if you're PM+ and don't have the redeposit fee (I was DM at the time of the example), but you may be able to get that waived as well.
Got miles redeposited and refunded including taxes and fees. Easy breezy
Old Jan 3, 2018, 1:59 pm

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare

How does Air Canada manage? How do they manage in MSP? If Delta can't handle a little snow and ice in Georgia then something is seriously wrong.
Here's some context:

In ATL, there are ~44 days each year where the temperature drops below freezing:
https://www.sercc.com/cgi-bin/sercc/cliMAIN.pl?ga0451
Keep in mind, this includes days where the daytime temp is well above freezing and just dips down overnight. There are maybe 2 days a year where the max temp is below freezing.

In MSP, there are ~152 days where the temp dips below freezing (and ~78 days where the temp never gets above freezing): https://wrcc.dri.edu/cgi-bin/cliMAIN.pl?mn5435

At MSP (and other cold weather airports), DL has invested in the crews and equipment for a lot of deicing. Whereas in ATL, I can see the reasoning why there aren't as many crews in. Plus the crews that are there don't get as much practice as in MSP (though DL will fly crews into ATL from DTW, SLC, and MSP if needed).

So sure, DL could pay a bunch of deicing crews to sit around in ATL and do nothing most days of the year, but then that would impact ticket prices...
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 2:00 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
NYC now under a winter storm warning. NWS saying 5-8 with isolated 10 inches. Lots of wind. Airports in NYC will be a mess on Thursday.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 2:03 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by Ali Taheri
Awesome!!

Originally Posted by ty97
NYC now under a winter storm warning. NWS saying 5-8 with isolated 10 inches. Lots of wind. Airports in NYC will be a mess on Thursday.
Yeah, but you are likely too late to get out today and it's supposed to hit overnight. I've been trying since about noon with zero luck. Everything on every airline out of NYC airports is pretty much sold out, at least to anything within 100 miles of my destination.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 2:17 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by kitkat77
Yeah, but you are likely too late to get out today and it's supposed to hit overnight. I've been trying since about noon with zero luck. Everything on every airline out of NYC airports is pretty much sold out, at least to anything within 100 miles of my destination.
Yep, no doubt, but not sure how many people are going to succeed getting out tomorrow either alas.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
If the current forecast verifies, both NYC and BOS will be terrible to fly in to/out of on Thursday. Visibilities of <1/2 mile, low clouds, and winds of 30+ mph. The wind a bit above the surface may be in excess of 70 mph, so any landings/takeoffs will be fun

Some RDU-BOS/PHL/JFK flights are already cancelled for tomorrow, and I expect cancellations will only increase across the Northeast.

Update:
In anticipation of the severe winter weather, Delta will proactively cancel more than 400 mainline and Delta Connection regional flights Wednesday evening and Thursday, primarily at New York JFK International and LaGuardia airports as well as Boston's Logan International. Additional cancellations are possible.

Airports along the storm's eastern seaboard path could see deicing delays and possible cancellations as well, depending on the track and severity of the storm.

In order to facilitate an efficient restart to the operation once the storm passes, Delta will reposition some aircraft away from the New York and Boston airports so they can be flown in as soon as conditions improve and runways are cleared of snow.

The same winter storm has already produced snow, ice and mixed frozen precipitation at airports in the Southeast. Delta suspended its operations at Savannah/Hilton Head International and Bruswick Golden Isles airports due to snow and ice accumulation on the runways and taxiways. Operations are tentatively expected to restart midday Thursday after a facilities assessment. Daytime flights to Myrtle Beach and Charleston, S.C., have also been canceled Wednesday, though are expected to restart Wednesday evening.
Source: https://pro.delta.com/content/agency...ues-north.html
Bolding mine

Last edited by FlyerWx; Jan 3, 2018 at 4:47 pm Reason: Add additional info
Old Jan 3, 2018, 3:04 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by FlyerWx
If the current forecast verifies, both NYC and BOS will be terrible to fly in to/out of on Thursday. Visibilities of <1/2 mile, low clouds, and winds of 30+ mph. The wind a bit above the surface may be in excess of 70 mph, so any landings/takeoffs will be fun

Some RDU-BOS/PHL/JFK flights are already cancelled for tomorrow, and I expect cancellations will only increase across the Northeast.
Sigh. Yup. There's no more time to rebook to get out before it hits, either, so that's not a valid suggestion anymore. Everything out tonight is pretty much a no-go. If you can move your trip, though, I would!
Old Jan 3, 2018, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by Ali Taheri
+1
Old Jan 3, 2018, 5:11 pm

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
SFO-BOS cancelled for tomorrow. Originally booked this flight. Glad that I changed now.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 5:21 pm

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hyatt, SPG
Scheduled via JFK connecting to last flight of night to FLL on Friday. While Thu looks like will be worse than Friday, am headed to a cruise and decided not to take the chance on spillover issues into Friday, and use the weather waiver to rebook connection via another hub (even though my F upgrades had cleared for both myself and my partner!).

SLC flight option was completely full in both W (my ticketed cabin) and even Y - only 2 F seats were left. Not a single itinerary into FLL with W seats available.

Medallion rep graciously accommodated my request to co-terminal us into MIA instead which had W space and a good connection via MSP.... Really appreciate Delta's flexibility in getting us proactively rerouted to our cruise this weekend, and waiving all fees with no fus

​​​​​​My friends on UA via EWR haven't been nearly so lucky.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

YYZ to FLL via SLC?
Old Jan 3, 2018, 6:31 pm

I was supposed to fly tonight on DL 825 PBI-LGA. Flight was cancelled about an hour and a half before departure. It seems that DL has cancelled all their late night flights to LGA tonight (both FLL and MIA were cancelled). However, their MIA-JFK evening flight left on time tonight. In addition, I can see that B6 flights from FLL and PBI to LGA tonight are continuing to go out tonight.

Does anyone know why the decision was made to cancel these flights? Has LGA forced airlines to cancel flights tonight or is this just DL trying to keep their planes out of NY during the storm? If it's a DL decision to cancel, does this still qualify as a 'weather cancellation' even though they could have operated the flight safely?

Many thanks.

Blue100
Old Jan 3, 2018, 6:54 pm
BLV

CDG to JFK 10:25am flight on Jan 4th is canceled. Rebooked on AF008 at 6:10 only for it to be canceled as well. Sitting on hold with utter morons (on an elite line, :eye roll. First rep wasted my time for 15 minutes saying the flight isn’t canceled in her system. I often find myself hanging up on people only to call back in hopes of getting someone who can read and process the information. Works 5/10 times.

update: first available flight back is on Jan 6th.

Last edited by BLV; Jan 3, 2018 at 7:12 pm
Old Jan 3, 2018, 7:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
Originally Posted by BLV
[...]
update: first available flight back is on Jan 6th.
Last time I was told I would have to wait for days to find a new flight, I kept checking back with an agent to see if anything else had opened up. Eventually it did, and I got on a much earlier flight.

I hope you get where you need to go

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.