Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

To say something or not: friend's didn't take my advice

To say something or not: friend's didn't take my advice

Old Dec 24, 17, 6:48 am
  #1  
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Bainbridge Island, WA
Programs: Only what my AmEx Plat offers me
Posts: 7,500
To say something or not: friend's didn't take my advice

I sat with dear friends and helped them plan a trip to Gascony for next September including flights and ticketing advice. The most important thing I told them was to ticket the flights from SEA-TLS on one ticket....even if you save money ticketing it differently you need the assurance of the itinerary staying intact in case of delays.

A month since our meeting and last night the husband beamed at the money he saved by making a RT SEA-CDG on Delta and then a separate ticket CDG-TLS on AF with a 90 minute connection at CDG. ( The return is not an issue because they are staying in Paris for a few days before returning home)

Should I say something to them about the possible problems they have created on the outbound?

My husband says no....
david55 is offline  
Old Dec 24, 17, 6:54 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: JFK/LGA
Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Platinum 100, National Executive Elite
Posts: 1,685
Originally Posted by david55 View Post
I sat with dear friends and helped them plan a trip to Gascony for next September including flights and ticketing advice. The most important thing I told them was to ticket the flights from SEA-TLS on one ticket....even if you save money ticketing it differently you need the assurance of the itinerary staying intact in case of delays.

A month since our meeting and last night the husband beamed at the money he saved by making a RT SEA-CDG on Delta and then a separate ticket CDG-TLS on AF with a 90 minute connection at CDG. ( The return is not an issue because they are staying in Paris for a few days before returning home)

Should I say something to them about the possible problems they have created on the outbound?

My husband says no....
I wouldn’t. Best case scenario everything goes well and it’s all ok. Worst case they’ll make a mistake at their own cost.

Considering it’s probably too late to change anything without paying change fees anyways, probably not worth it.
sdadept likes this.
suvayanr is offline  
Old Dec 24, 17, 7:35 am
  #3  
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: PIT
Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Posts: 15,408
A 90 minute connection going from the USA through CDG, while doable, if all goes well, is nearly impossible, particularly if your friends aren't flying SkyPriority to use the Acces No1 lane at immigration. It's been a train wreck the last 3 times I was there, and I AM SkyTeam Elite Plus / SkyPriority!

AND... If Delta has a schedule change making the CDG arrival a little later, fuggedaboudit!
hortkie likes this.
davetravels is offline  
Old Dec 24, 17, 7:42 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: DTW
Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Posts: 1,177
Don’t say anything now, but have your “I told you so” ready in case it goes wrong.

But seriously, they should have other options if they miss the connection. Even taking a train would only be a few extra hours, eh? Just be sure they understand not to expect any favors from AF - if they manage to get rebooked, it probably won’t be free.
Calchas likes this.
strickerj is offline  
Old Dec 24, 17, 7:45 am
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Brighton. UK
Programs: BA Silver / VS /IHG Spire & Ambassador
Posts: 12,283
You gave them advice. They chose not to take it. The consequences - should there be any such as a missed flight - are 100% down to them.

If it all goes wrong then you should sympathise (well not too much) but not go into 'I told you so mode'

You could help them by pointing them in the direction of the terminal maps at CDG etc.
UKtravelbear is offline  
Old Dec 24, 17, 7:53 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Posts: 9,753
As much as you want to help them, you can not do anything now that they are ticketed.

Don't go there. You will only make them mad - even though THEY screwed up - not you.

If you can not control yourself, provide other options for them just in case.
NoStressHere is offline  
Old Dec 24, 17, 8:00 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: DCA
Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Posts: 2,037
How much money did they save? If it was significant, I wouldn’t be so sure that risking a pleasant and reasonably priced train ride in case of a late arrival is the worst thing in the world.
SamOF is offline  
Old Dec 24, 17, 8:01 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Programs: HH Diamond, MR Plat, HY Globule
Posts: 2,498
If the subject comes up, you could mention that it is probable that schedules will change and that they need to pay close attention to schedule change notices. Now, a change to their inbound could really make an impossible situation. They may not know their options when a schedule change time difference is long enough to make a free change.

But let them bring the subject up.
xooz is offline  
Old Dec 24, 17, 8:14 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Posts: 5,256
Originally Posted by xooz View Post
If the subject comes up, you could mention that it is probable that schedules will change and that they need to pay close attention to schedule change notices. Now, a change to their inbound could really make an impossible situation. They may not know their options when a schedule change time difference is long enough to make a free change.

But let them bring the subject up.
This is a good point.
I would err on the side of letting them know possible risks about the situation, but only if it appears natural and opportune. If they appear overconfident, over-pleased or contrarian I won't say anything. Of course, they may always be like why didn't you tell us about the specific risks before we booked. They can always accuse you of that, even if you warned them about booking all the way through, that you were not specific enough about MCTs, the clusterfc that is CDG, etc...In other words, no good deed will go unpunished.
nk15 is offline  
Old Dec 24, 17, 8:19 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: SEA
Programs: AS MVP , Delta Gold Medallion, "Credit Card" status for various hotels
Posts: 548
My advice would be to say something if you Think it will help them with managing expectations, at the very least. If they don't make the connection, then they can be better prepared for plan B.
Bretmd is offline  
Old Dec 24, 17, 8:24 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Pagus Bracbatensis, Kingdom of the Netherlands
Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
Posts: 1,977
A random french strike, a schedule change, delay or simply long lines at CDG & no SkyTeam SkyPriority. It all might happen.
Would suggest preparing for a plan 'B'.
Grouchy is offline  
Old Dec 24, 17, 8:36 am
  #12  
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Bainbridge Island, WA
Programs: Only what my AmEx Plat offers me
Posts: 7,500
I went as far as printing out the itinerary and flights that they should take including, at the time, the fares.

The savings to do separate tickets was $100 per ticket.....I emphasized at that time they should consider the extra $100 that the ticket cost as " insurance" for any problems in transit that arise.

The point about schedule changes I never even thought of with regards to the tickets they booked. I was just thinking late flight and transit through CDG. This friend is NOT one to check itineraries regularly ( if at all) for changes.

I guess the follow-up is....Is there anything they can do at this point?
david55 is offline  
Old Dec 24, 17, 8:38 am
  #13  
pvn
Suspended
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: MEM
Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Posts: 5,431
Originally Posted by davetravels View Post
A 90 minute connection going from the USA through CDG, while doable, if all goes well, is nearly impossible, particularly if your friends aren't flying SkyPriority to use the Acces No1 lane at immigration. It's been a train wreck the last 3 times I was there, and I AM SkyTeam Elite Plus / SkyPriority!

AND... If Delta has a schedule change making the CDG arrival a little later, fuggedaboudit!
I must have incredible luck, I hear horror stories about CDG all the time, but it's never taken me more than 15 minutes from stepping off the plane from the US to walking into the schengen zone lounge.
pvn is offline  
Old Dec 24, 17, 8:48 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 499
You are actually lucky because now if something goes wrong it won't be your plan that has gone wrong.
tentseller and trooper like this.
CALlegacy is offline  
Old Dec 24, 17, 8:49 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Programs: DL DM, AA PP
Posts: 1,331
Originally Posted by david55 View Post
I guess the follow-up is....Is there anything they can do at this point?
At this point, these options come to mind:
- Check what trip insurance may already be included via the credit card they booked the trip with
- Buy trip insurance that would cover the cost of new transit (train/plane) in the case of disruption
- Be aware of the minimum schedule change (or change of operating carrier) that would entitle them to rebook for free
- Buy a refundable train ticket in advance and cancel if not needed
rucksack is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: