FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   To say something or not: friend's didn't take my advice (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1884376-say-something-not-friends-didnt-take-my-advice.html)

david55 Dec 24, 2017 6:48 am

To say something or not: friend's didn't take my advice

I sat with dear friends and helped them plan a trip to Gascony for next September including flights and ticketing advice. The most important thing I told them was to ticket the flights from SEA-TLS on one ticket....even if you save money ticketing it differently you need the assurance of the itinerary staying intact in case of delays.

A month since our meeting and last night the husband beamed at the money he saved by making a RT SEA-CDG on Delta and then a separate ticket CDG-TLS on AF with a 90 minute connection at CDG. ( The return is not an issue because they are staying in Paris for a few days before returning home)

Should I say something to them about the possible problems they have created on the outbound?

My husband says no....

suvayanr Dec 24, 2017 6:54 am

Originally Posted by david55 (Post 29210891)
I sat with dear friends and helped them plan a trip to Gascony for next September including flights and ticketing advice. The most important thing I told them was to ticket the flights from SEA-TLS on one ticket....even if you save money ticketing it differently you need the assurance of the itinerary staying intact in case of delays.

A month since our meeting and last night the husband beamed at the money he saved by making a RT SEA-CDG on Delta and then a separate ticket CDG-TLS on AF with a 90 minute connection at CDG. ( The return is not an issue because they are staying in Paris for a few days before returning home)

Should I say something to them about the possible problems they have created on the outbound?

My husband says no....

I wouldn’t. Best case scenario everything goes well and it’s all ok. Worst case they’ll make a mistake at their own cost.

Considering it’s probably too late to change anything without paying change fees anyways, probably not worth it.

davetravels Dec 24, 2017 7:35 am

A 90 minute connection going from the USA through CDG, while doable, if all goes well, is nearly impossible, particularly if your friends aren't flying SkyPriority to use the Acces No1 lane at immigration. It's been a train wreck the last 3 times I was there, and I AM SkyTeam Elite Plus / SkyPriority!

AND... If Delta has a schedule change making the CDG arrival a little later, fuggedaboudit!

strickerj Dec 24, 2017 7:42 am

Don’t say anything now, but have your “I told you so” ready in case it goes wrong. :D

But seriously, they should have other options if they miss the connection. Even taking a train would only be a few extra hours, eh? Just be sure they understand not to expect any favors from AF - if they manage to get rebooked, it probably won’t be free.

UKtravelbear Dec 24, 2017 7:45 am

You gave them advice. They chose not to take it. The consequences - should there be any such as a missed flight - are 100% down to them.

If it all goes wrong then you should sympathise (well not too much) but not go into 'I told you so mode'

You could help them by pointing them in the direction of the terminal maps at CDG etc.

NoStressHere Dec 24, 2017 7:53 am

As much as you want to help them, you can not do anything now that they are ticketed.

Don't go there. You will only make them mad - even though THEY screwed up - not you.

If you can not control yourself, provide other options for them just in case.

SamOF Dec 24, 2017 8:00 am

How much money did they save? If it was significant, I wouldn’t be so sure that risking a pleasant and reasonably priced train ride in case of a late arrival is the worst thing in the world.

xooz Dec 24, 2017 8:01 am

If the subject comes up, you could mention that it is probable that schedules will change and that they need to pay close attention to schedule change notices. Now, a change to their inbound could really make an impossible situation. They may not know their options when a schedule change time difference is long enough to make a free change.

But let them bring the subject up.

nk15 Dec 24, 2017 8:14 am

Originally Posted by xooz (Post 29211045)
If the subject comes up, you could mention that it is probable that schedules will change and that they need to pay close attention to schedule change notices. Now, a change to their inbound could really make an impossible situation. They may not know their options when a schedule change time difference is long enough to make a free change.

But let them bring the subject up.

This is a good point.
I would err on the side of letting them know possible risks about the situation, but only if it appears natural and opportune. If they appear overconfident, over-pleased or contrarian I won't say anything. Of course, they may always be like why didn't you tell us about the specific risks before we booked. They can always accuse you of that, even if you warned them about booking all the way through, that you were not specific enough about MCTs, the clusterfc that is CDG, etc...In other words, no good deed will go unpunished.

Bretmd Dec 24, 2017 8:19 am

My advice would be to say something if you Think it will help them with managing expectations, at the very least. If they don't make the connection, then they can be better prepared for plan B.

Grouchy Dec 24, 2017 8:24 am

A random french strike, a schedule change, delay or simply long lines at CDG & no SkyTeam SkyPriority. It all might happen.
Would suggest preparing for a plan 'B'.

david55 Dec 24, 2017 8:36 am

I went as far as printing out the itinerary and flights that they should take including, at the time, the fares.

The savings to do separate tickets was $100 per ticket.....I emphasized at that time they should consider the extra $100 that the ticket cost as " insurance" for any problems in transit that arise.

The point about schedule changes I never even thought of with regards to the tickets they booked. I was just thinking late flight and transit through CDG. This friend is NOT one to check itineraries regularly ( if at all) for changes.

I guess the follow-up is....Is there anything they can do at this point?

pvn Dec 24, 2017 8:38 am

Originally Posted by davetravels (Post 29210985)
A 90 minute connection going from the USA through CDG, while doable, if all goes well, is nearly impossible, particularly if your friends aren't flying SkyPriority to use the Acces No1 lane at immigration. It's been a train wreck the last 3 times I was there, and I AM SkyTeam Elite Plus / SkyPriority!

AND... If Delta has a schedule change making the CDG arrival a little later, fuggedaboudit!

I must have incredible luck, I hear horror stories about CDG all the time, but it's never taken me more than 15 minutes from stepping off the plane from the US to walking into the schengen zone lounge.

CALlegacy Dec 24, 2017 8:48 am

You are actually lucky because now if something goes wrong it won't be your plan that has gone wrong.

rucksack Dec 24, 2017 8:49 am

Originally Posted by david55 (Post 29211114)
I guess the follow-up is....Is there anything they can do at this point?

At this point, these options come to mind:
- Check what trip insurance may already be included via the credit card they booked the trip with
- Buy trip insurance that would cover the cost of new transit (train/plane) in the case of disruption
- Be aware of the minimum schedule change (or change of operating carrier) that would entitle them to rebook for free
- Buy a refundable train ticket in advance and cancel if not needed