Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

To say something or not: friend's didn't take my advice

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

To say something or not: friend's didn't take my advice

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2017, 5:40 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
They are adults, I assume, and it’s their trip. Either everything will go fine or they will encounter problems and deal with them.

Part of the thrill of travel is managing the unknowns.

Last edited by CarmenOM; Dec 24, 2017 at 6:49 pm
Old Dec 24, 2017, 5:49 pm

Even if they miss the connecting flight, it'd not be the end of the world. They're already in Paris and could for example just take the train to Toulouse instead or rent a car in Paris to drive down. It's a risk but the bad outcome isn't so bad that it's one I'd avoid at all cost.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
If things go bust in CDG outbound, when they get back, don't wag your finger and say "I told you so" (unless you want to end the friendship, here's your chance ). They're adults, and sometimes people need to learn the hard way.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
If it all works out... they will then tell you "I told you so".

Are you willing to go that route? LOL!
Old Dec 24, 2017, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bennos
TBH, as this is DL to AF I wouldn't be too worried about it. I'd be more worried if it were something like UA to AF or DL to some LCC.

DL should be able to through-check the bags if any.
I'm surprised by that, a lot of other airlines are no longer through-checking on separate tickets, even on the same airline or with a partner.

One thing to note - if they do miss the domestic flight and take the train, I would imagine the return domestic flight will be cancelled so they'll have to make alternate arrangements to get back to Paris.
Old Dec 25, 2017, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
This happens to me many times when I was asked for my opinion as to what I would do in travel planning.
I would offer what IMHO is the best way to deal with each scenario.
If it is not accepted, fine: I know not to waste my time in the future if it happens more than once.
If they question why this and that I would just let them know these are my opinion and they can do whatever they like as it is their money that they are spending.

The only times where I would insist on arranging it my way is when I or my organization is one of the stakeholders. Eg: NGO youth trip where the family wants to fly on their own itinerary due to someone wanting to use their points/miles and I would insist that everyone is on same PNR as much as possible.
Old Dec 25, 2017, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
I often see things like this pop up and folks talk about travel insurance. I often cringe.

Travel Insurance does not fix a missed connection. If the plane left, it left. Same with a cruise ship.
Travel Insurance MIGHT give you some money back, but it will not solve the original problem.
Travel Insurance in most cases will not solve the problem of having to book something new - you usually have to buy with YOUR money, and then hope you get your money back. (comment is directed to those that travel with little or no credit cards)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.