Wiki Posts
Search

No More Newspapers in SC

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2018, 5:33 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
It's really the only way to do it. What people say they care about and what they actually care about are two different things.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 6:41 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Did you select the option to request a response?
Yes I did. But I got a canned response that had nothing to do with my question.

I am only harping on this because I'm interested to know why some people like me got a form letter and others got a call back. There are several categories you can choose, I picked 'other' because there was no SkyClub option. I just want to know what others did differently.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 6:45 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by pvn
It's really the only way to do it.
Incorrect. It's the lazy way to do it.

Last edited by CPMaverick; Jan 18, 2018 at 6:50 pm
Old Jan 18, 2018, 8:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
Yes I did. But I got a canned response that had nothing to do with my question.

I am only harping on this because I'm interested to know why some people like me got a form letter and others got a call back. There are several categories you can choose, I picked 'other' because there was no SkyClub option. I just want to know what others did differently.
Email the manager and you'll get a personal response.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 8:38 am

Programs: DL DM MM, Hyatt LT Globalist, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
"Many of our guests are telling us that they get their news on their portable devices. Due to that preference and as a part of our sustainability efforts, we are no longer offering most newspapers and magazines in our clubs or on flights effective January 1."
Old Jan 19, 2018, 10:05 am

Programs: DL DM, HH diamond
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Email the manager and you'll get a personal response.
Yup, I emailed Mike Hecht (email upstream in this thread) and did get a personal response. Hope we see them rethink and reverse this service reduction.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 10:48 am

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
While it is understandable print copies is likely going away now or in the future, I would expect SC to at least provide a digital copies via Skyclub login webpage, as more and more digital news providers are requiring subscription. To me, it is probably the most prudent request....

Jiburi
Old Jan 19, 2018, 11:05 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jiburi
While it is understandable print copies is likely going away now or in the future, I would expect SC to at least provide a digital copies via Skyclub login webpage, as more and more digital news providers are requiring subscription. To me, it is probably the most prudent request....

Jiburi
Air France/KLM offers a mobile "press" app that includes popular newspapers you can sync to your device, as long as you have a reservation departing within 48 hours. It's a great solution and I'd be more than satisfied if Delta offered something similar as a replacement for the print copies of the newspapers in the clubs.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 11:11 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by jiburi

Jiburi
I don't think print magazines are going to go away, especially ones that are not news focused. I'd love to see copies of, for example, National Geographic, GQ, The Economist, The New Yorker. These types of publications offer great reading material and don't rely on the instant update news cycle. While I support others who want print newspaper, I personally don't care about that at all as I read the NYT online every day. Magazines seem like a real amenity to me.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 11:00 am

Programs: 2.96MM DL DM, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, HH Lifetime Diamond, Marriott TE
First they came for The Financial Times. Then they came for.....
Old Jan 20, 2018, 10:51 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Aloha1
I don't find this funny.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 8:42 am

Programs: DL Charter DM/DM/2MM, IHG Diamond Elite
I was at the SC at SFO yesterday morning, and they had the Saturday San Francisco Chronicle in stock.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 4:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by Aloha1
First, it was getting rid of the Financial Times at the weekend. Then it was getting rid of it permanently.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by Spent_All_My_Miles

I saw a few of the "junky" magazines as well, no "real" magazines.
The rack in ATL T club was full the other day, with "I may look like a magazine, but I'm just a 50 page advertisement" publications.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
This is partly why I always try to use every service or take every amenity offered by an airline or hotel. If the hotel has slippers, I take the slippers. If the airline lounge or hotel has newspapers and/or magazines, I take them. I don't want some bean counter saying, "Well, X percentage of guests never use this service or amenity so we can eliminate it."
So, that is how I can justify the 50 pairs of hotel or airline slippers that I have in my closet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.