Wiki Posts
Search

No More Newspapers in SC

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2018, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
If DL did do a survey, I doubt they asked a question like "Do you mind if we remove print material from Sky Clubs?" Most would probably answer "YES." Rather, they probably asked participants to somehow rank or score many amenities in some kind of order and print material fell lower.
But, the question remains... who actually gets a chance to participate in these surveys?

Are they limited to Virginia Ave headquarters staff?

Seems like every benefit, service, or amenity cut (at least the ones that are actually announced) is associated with a messaging beginning with something like "In response to your requests...."
Old Feb 6, 2018, 12:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by IslesFan
Yes, but you can download papers for offline reading. I believe Marriott uses it for their european hotels.
I'd think a digital app with the proper papers for DL ala Air France would be fine.
Not going to happen; this is a proft maximizing/cost saving measure by DAL. Adding a digital app would cost more than the printed papers.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 8:32 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
Not going to happen; this is a proft maximizing/cost saving measure by DAL. Adding a digital app would cost more than the printed papers.
I would not be so sure about that. They already operate a digital medial platform (Delta Studio) and an app (Fly Delta). It would not be complicated to create a Sky Club site that is only accessible from the clubs that had links or imported online content.

Last edited by jdrtravel; Feb 6, 2018 at 3:24 pm
Old Feb 6, 2018, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would not be so sure about that. They already operate a digital medial platform (Delta Studio) and an app (Fly Delta). It would not be complicated to create a Sly Club site that is only accessible from the clubs that had links or imported online content.
Was just in the Virgin Clubhouse at LHR last week and they had something very much like this with digital newspaper offerings after logging into their Wifi Network.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 2:37 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite/Lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum Medallion, Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by LBJ
Was just in the Virgin Clubhouse at LHR last week and they had something very much like this with digital newspaper offerings after logging into their Wifi Network.
What did they use ?
Old Feb 6, 2018, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by RBirns
Any knowledge of upgrade potential for platinum on JFK/LGA to MSP? Will be flying that route a few times this year.
When I lived in NYC and did that often, as DM, I was at maybe 30% upgrades (F). I always got C+.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
I would not be so sure about that. They already operate a digital medial platform (Delta Studio) and an app (Fly Delta). It would not be complicated to create a Sky Club site that is only accessible from the clubs that had links or imported online content.
I'm pretty sure, someone from DAL told me they won't spend the $$ on a digital platform, removing the papers was a profit motive, a digital platform will negate that. Mr. Ham Sandwich and Co think most people wont even notice the papers are gone. FWIW: Delta Studio and Fly Delta apps are in different areas of the company and have different budgets than the Sky Club team.

That said, if the feedback is volumunous and negative, they might reverse course and add a digital system. After profit, they live and die by the survey data.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 10:56 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
I'm pretty sure, someone from DAL told me they won't spend the $$ on a digital platform, removing the papers was a profit motive, a digital platform will negate that. Mr. Ham Sandwich and Co think most people wont even notice the papers are gone. FWIW: Delta Studio and Fly Delta apps are in different areas of the company and have different budgets than the Sky Club team.

That said, if the feedback is volumunous and negative, they might reverse course and add a digital system. After profit, they live and die by the survey data.

It would still certainly be cheaper, especially if they only offer mass market papers like USA Today and don't offer real journalism like NYT or WSJ.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
DEN united club had local paper, WSJ, and USA Today. Apparently UA didn’t get the survey results...
Old Feb 7, 2018, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mnredfox
DEN united club had local paper, WSJ, and USA Today. Apparently UA didn’t get the survey results...
When I was at the LAX United Club a couple weeks ago they had the WSJ, USA Today, and I think I even spotted the Financial Times with its unique pinkish glow. Didn't notice if they had a local paper, not that I would have grabbed one anyway.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 9:25 am

Programs: Delta Kryptonium
I was in the Centurion lounge in PHL last week & they have newspapers!
Old Feb 7, 2018, 9:45 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Seems like Delta may have found the solution to club overcrowding, win/win for everyone.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 4:56 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Delta GM, Marriott Platinum Premier
Was just in the ATL B club this afternoon and there was a sign at check in. Something to the effect of “We’ve heard you! Newspapers coming back soon!”

wondering if if this is ATL specific or nationwide?
Old Feb 7, 2018, 5:12 pm

Programs: Delta DM, MM
MSP club told me they were coming back next week
Old Feb 7, 2018, 5:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Looks like we won. I'll be in MSP, JFK, and LAX this week and next.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.