Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No More Newspapers in SC

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2018, 1:03 pm

Programs: DL Diamond/1MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
It'd already gone downhill with mostly useless magazines in the clubs, so to see the FT/WSJ, local papers go away is pretty disappointing. I agree it may be nice to get some sort of online access while at the club, at the very least. Wonder if that means they won't give out the paper to D1 passengers flying overseas as well. #KeepDescending , DL.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 2:18 pm

This is one of the things that make my flights even in Economy fairly pleasant. I read several newspapers and do the NYT crossword. It often takes up the whole of a short flight. I fear that too few customers care about this enough that Delta will bring them back.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 2:31 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
I knew about this even before the holidays. One of the SC staffers mentioned it in passing when I asked if they could keep some papers because was moving house last month, so was handy for wrapping.

Many of SCs mini cubicles feature marble surface, which is very mouse-unfriendly (unlike the cheese), so I normally use printed material to put underneath. I'll miss them, as I'm sure will many others.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 2:44 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, one-time United Plat, Amex Plat, Marriott Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, Bus Pass
I doubt it will do anything, but I'm going to email. It really was a nice thing to have.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 2:57 pm

Programs: DL Plat, 1 MM; SPG LT Plat (RIP); Marriott LT Titanium; Fairmont Plat (RIP), DL Kryptonium Medallion
What about the gates in LGA (and perhaps other Shuttle airports) that serve Shuttle flights? They have the WSJ, FT, NYT, USAT, and various magazines in stands by the gates. Will that go too?
Old Jan 8, 2018, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Sky Club agent in DTW told me today that newspapers and magazines are a thing of the past.

Richard "but what have you done for me lately" Anderson has been replaced by Ed "what can we do to pinch a penny" Bastian.

Doesn't that make you value your Club membership all the more?

Last edited by StayingHomeIsBetter; Jan 8, 2018 at 3:40 pm
Old Jan 8, 2018, 3:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
This is ridiculous. I hope everyone contacts Delta.

These newspapers cost Delta nothing because the publishers basically give them away to boost their circulation figures. There is no way that every newspaper decided to suddenly start charging Delta. In the case of the Financial Times, its print circulation figure is heavily padded by airport lounges because almost nobody in the United States actually reads the British-centric Financial Times.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 4:22 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Every morning someone has to unpack them and put them out, and every evening someone has to get rid of the pile of newspapers that nobody touched. The newspapers being free doesn't mean that the service has no cost.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 4:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by pvn
Every morning someone has to unpack them and put them out, and every evening someone has to get rid of the pile of newspapers that nobody touched. The newspapers being free doesn't mean that the service has no cost.
Well, I guess they should stop stocking the fancy lotion and soap in the bathroom that some company gives Delta for free or at a greatly reduced cost because that takes time to stock.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by AK-business-traveler
I wonder if DL has gotten any feedback about this yet.
They definitely have from me.

Consider that Tokyo, Seoul, Hong Kong and other papers are still stocked in LAX SkyClubs. But no English-language dailies.

The club staff explained demand was high for Asian papers and argued that U-S dailies are available free online - which is not true.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 5:21 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
What's the best way to complain to those in charge of the SkyClub? The online form doesn't have a SkyClub category.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 5:25 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by LegalTender
They definitely have from me.

Consider that Tokyo, Seoul, Hong Kong and other papers are still stocked in LAX SkyClubs. But no English-language dailies.

The club staff explained demand was high for Asian papers and argued that U-S dailies are available free online - which is not true.

Neither the NYT nor the WSJ are available for free. I pay for my NYT subscription. I don't know about the USA Today as I never read it but my sense is that this is a paper that relies almost entirely on being given away for free by the travel industry (hotels, airlines, etc).
Old Jan 8, 2018, 6:55 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Well, I guess they should stop stocking the fancy lotion and soap in the bathroom that some company gives Delta for free or at a greatly reduced cost because that takes time to stock.
People actually use those
Old Jan 8, 2018, 7:19 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
What's the best way to complain to those in charge of the SkyClub? The online form doesn't have a SkyClub category.
I tried the normal form, and I am not convinced that anyone will hear my complaint... Below is the response.

Thank you for your email regarding your recent experience with Delta. As our customer, you are in the best position to point out areas that need attention. Our goal is to provide consistent, good service to our passengers at all times. We value your feedback and will be shared with our Sky Miles leadership team for consideration.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 8:25 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by CPMaverick
Michael J. Hecht
Delta Air Lines – Customer Engagement & Loyalty
Director, SkyMiles Program
[email protected]
CPMaverick, AKC6 and dmarge18 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.