Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta to start SJC - JFK

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2017, 10:33 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by apodo77
Not that I saw and was flying on a Tuesday (ATL-SFO) and a Friday (SFO-ATL). This Friday it is 3 757's and 4 739's.

Off topic but this made me think of it. Due to the snow I actually flew home SFO-LAX-ATL-PBI and the LAX-ATL segment was on a 767-400. Talk about an ancient interior that is desperately in need of a refresh (was in F).
The 777 fleet is starting its interior upgrade now. Rumor is that the 764s are next in line (thank goodness)

Last edited by Mountain Explorer; Dec 13, 2017 at 10:51 am
Old Dec 13, 2017, 11:51 am

SJC-JFK Flight Announced

On June 8th,2018 Delta will begin flying nonstop from SJC to JFK leaving at 10:38 PM and arriving the next morning at 7:15 AM on the return leaving SJC at 8:45 AM arriving SJC at 11:40 AM on a 737-800. I think Delta should add a morning departure from SJC too around 8:00 AM and a 5-7 PM Departure from JFK.

Problem is that there is no Delta 1.

Delta should look at operating a Sky Club at the old Admirals Club.

MODS please move if this has already been posted.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jj243
I'll take it as a win even if it's a redeye on a 737. Still might prefer the drive up to SFO with lounge access with better schedules and planes. Would be interesting to see if Delta continues to add flights at SJC. I know there's heavy competition from Southwest and Alaska but some intra-CA nonstops would be nice too- my colleagues always give me the eye roll when I connect in LAX on the way to SAN.
I've heard they rumors about SJC-SNA and SAN, but it seems unlikely to me.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 1:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jdrtravel

this is a holdover from NWA, so it's actually been a focus city for decades.
Actually, not NW but rather DL. Back in the day, DL used to operate service from PDX to NRT, NGO, FUK, TPE/BKK as well as to JFK/BOS and the obvious CVG, ATL, along with flights to SFO, LAX and SEA specifically to feed the PDX intl hub.....

Yes, awhile after DL dismantled the hub, NW came back and offered PDX NRT but it was NRT that was the hub, not PDX in those days
Old Dec 13, 2017, 5:48 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by mizzou miles
Actually, not NW but rather DL. Back in the day, DL used to operate service from PDX to NRT, NGO, FUK, TPE/BKK as well as to JFK/BOS and the obvious CVG, ATL, along with flights to SFO, LAX and SEA specifically to feed the PDX intl hub.....

Yes, awhile after DL dismantled the hub, NW came back and offered PDX NRT but it was NRT that was the hub, not PDX in those days

I'm pretty sure that NWA offered PDX-AMS
Old Dec 13, 2017, 6:19 pm

Programs: DL Plat, 1 MM; SPG LT Plat (RIP); Marriott LT Titanium; Fairmont Plat (RIP), DL Kryptonium Medallion
Originally Posted by mizzou miles

I'm not sure DL ever flew to Japan back in the day. Under the 1952 treaty, 2 US and 2 Japanese carriers were allowed to fly between the US and Japan. NW and UA were the US carriers, so far as I know. This system began to change, I think, either in the late 1990s or early 2000s and by the late 2000s US and Japan had open skies.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Spent_All_My_Miles
I'm not sure DL ever flew to Japan back in the day.
You give yourself away as a youngster.

Yes, Delta used PDX as a hub to Asia. There were even MD-11s operating CVG-PDX to put planes into rotation.

A Detailed Look at Delta Air Lines History in Portland - Guest Blog - AirlineReporter : AirlineReporter
Old Dec 13, 2017, 6:39 pm

They absolutely had a mini hub in PDX. from approximately 1987/1988 until 2001-2002. It started with an ATL-PDX-NRT flight, and eventually grew to have PDX-Seoul/Nagoya/Fukuoka/Tokyo. At one point the PDX-Seoul flight continued to Taipei and Bangkok, and at one point Seoul became a terminator flight and Taipei/ BKK were served on their own. PDX had feed from all delta hubs as well as SFO, LAX, BOS, LAS, SEA and maybe a few other points. In 1998 the bilateral agreement between the US and Japan was liberalized and Delta could finally start nonstop NRT-ATL service. In that year I flew SDF-ATL-PDX-NRT. ON the return to SDF I was on the inaugural NRT-ATL nonstop. there was a ceremony and they gave us a leather passport holder. Was pretty cool. The hub started to falter then and with the Asian economic crisis in the late 1990s and the hub was dismantled by 2001/2002. Northwest later started PDX-NRT and PDX- AMS.

I'm not sure DL ever flew to Japan back in the day. Under the 1952 treaty, 2 US and 2 Japanese carriers were allowed to fly between the US and Japan. NW and UA were the US carriers, so far as I know. This system began to change, I think, either in the late 1990s or early 2000s and by the late 2000s US and Japan had open skies.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 7:47 pm

Programs: delta dm
Originally Posted by kjnangre
Call it what you want. It's the only non-hub that gets both TPAC and TATL service from DL. In the summer it also gets LHR and HNL.
its because of nike not load factor
Old Dec 13, 2017, 7:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
It also got the nickname of DePortland in Asia due to overly zealous customs agents.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 10:00 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by dzflyer
its because of nike not load factor
Right, because no other city in the world has a company with major offices on both sides on an ocean
Old Dec 14, 2017, 4:02 pm

Programs: DL DM 1MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, UA PS, VX, Natl EE, Hertz PC
I know DL is all about assigning aircraft based on capacity and load etc but the 738 really makes this unattractive. This means you have a 50% chance of getting a plane with a four inch PTV that registers your finger tap as two buttons to the left of what you intended, on a flight longer than ATL-SJC.

I also don't see this route getting D1. There are only 18 75S birds, and they just announced additional routes that will eat them up. Its not like there are tons of them laying around to begin with, especially outside of peak season when those small market European D1 routes from RDU/PIT/JFK are downguaged from 76W to 75S. Long term they could potentially (as has been discussed this week on FT) convert some of the 321 or 321neo to D1 ships.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 5:07 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum; Hilton Gold
If there’s no D1 then I’ll rather go to SFO every time. Even if there was D1 in 757 I'd still consider flying from SFO on 767 (yes, I know it's not A330 D1 seat but still better).

Last edited by Sjondorn; Dec 14, 2017 at 6:06 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.