FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Delta to start SJC - JFK (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1882470-delta-start-sjc-jfk.html)

SJC ORD LDR Dec 12, 2017 3:55 pm

Delta to start SJC - JFK

Delta to fly from San Jose, CA to Kennedy starting June 8th.

Delta Air Lines will launch San Jose-New York nonstop flights

The times are absolutely horrible, but it's another city for us in the South Bay.

3Cforme Dec 12, 2017 4:23 pm

It looks to be timed as a redeye for SJC-NYC O&D, not to TATL connections. That's the same as the present B6 flight. 1x a day (on the January Monday I checked) for four carriers.

HWGeeks Dec 12, 2017 4:28 pm

I would have loved this flight back when I use to Fly to SFO

Hated the drive to Cupertino.

jj243 Dec 12, 2017 4:45 pm

I'll take it as a win even if it's a redeye on a 737. Still might prefer the drive up to SFO with lounge access with better schedules and planes. Would be interesting to see if Delta continues to add flights at SJC. I know there's heavy competition from Southwest and Alaska but some intra-CA nonstops would be nice too- my colleagues always give me the eye roll when I connect in LAX on the way to SAN.

Mountain Explorer Dec 12, 2017 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by jj243 (Post 29166906)
I'll take it as a win even if it's a redeye on a 737. Still might prefer the drive up to SFO with lounge access with better schedules and planes. Would be interesting to see if Delta continues to add flights at SJC. I know there's heavy competition from Southwest and Alaska but some intra-CA nonstops would be nice too- my colleagues always give me the eye roll when I connect in LAX on the way to SAN.

I seriously doubt that DL has any interest in competing on SJC-SAN.

SJC-LAS was a special case because 1) LAS is a focus city for DL and 2) at the time, SJC-LAS was one of the busiest single-carrier routes in the entire country.

I think there's a minor chance we could see SJC-PDX (since PDX is also a focus city) and I'd like to believe that SJC-DTW will come back one of these days. I don't anticipate any other routes beyond that.

kxc262 Dec 12, 2017 5:33 pm

Looks like this is not a D1 route? Looking forward to that long upgrade list.

readywhenyouare Dec 12, 2017 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by kxc262 (Post 29167063)
Looks like this is not a D1 route? Looking forward to that long upgrade list.

D1 domestic routes are all now upgrade eligible.

Mountain Explorer Dec 12, 2017 5:52 pm

I think DL will have a hard time selling first class on this route. For a redeye, I'm going to drive 45 mins to SFO and get a flat bed every time! They will have to sell it at a significant discount I believe.

MarkCron Dec 12, 2017 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by kjnangre (Post 29167055)

SJC-LAS was a special case because 1) LAS is a focus city for DL and 2) at the time, SJC-LAS was one of the busiest single-carrier routes in the entire country.

I think there's a minor chance we could see SJC-PDX (since PDX is also a focus city) and I'd like to believe that SJC-DTW will come back one of these days. I don't anticipate any other routes beyond that.

I know a lot of people that would be ecstatic to see DTW-SJC

Mountain Explorer Dec 12, 2017 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by MarkCron (Post 29167133)
I know a lot of people that would be ecstatic to see DTW-SJC

Me too. SJC-ATL is now 3 times per day and apparently doing quite well. If SJC-JFK succeeds then hopefully DTW becomes the obvious next step

Zorak Dec 12, 2017 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by kxc262 (Post 29167063)
Looks like this is not a D1 route?

Which is a bit of surprise to me, as an armchair route planner I would have expected lots of Silicon Valley $$ making this as viable as any of the other new domestic D1 flights they announced recently. But I cheerfully admit to having no clue or experience how to run a profitable airline, so, shrug :)

readywhenyouare Dec 12, 2017 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by kjnangre (Post 29167055)

PDX is a DL focus city? Since when? They couldn't even maintain a year round DTW flight.

SJC ORD LDR Dec 12, 2017 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by Zorak (Post 29167209)
Which is a bit of surprise to me, as an armchair route planner I would have expected lots of Silicon Valley $$ making this as viable as any of the other new domestic D1 flights they announced recently. But I cheerfully admit to having no clue or experience how to run a profitable airline, so, shrug :)

I think that while the Santa Clara valley has lots of $$, people can be cheap and just buy Y. Plus, my experience from living there is that a lot of companies don't buy F/J for their employees even on longer international trips.

Mountain Explorer Dec 12, 2017 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare (Post 29167210)

PDX is a DL focus city? Since when? They couldn't even maintain a year round DTW flight.

Call it what you want. It's the only non-hub that gets both TPAC and TATL service from DL. In the summer it also gets LHR and HNL.

SJC ORD LDR Dec 12, 2017 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by kjnangre (Post 29167115)
I think DL will have a hard time selling first class on this route. For a redeye, I'm going to drive 45 mins to SFO and get a flat bed every time! They will have to sell it at a significant discount I believe.

At that time of night, it's not like you have to worry about traffic on 101 or 280. So, that's true.

However, with a redeye out to JFK and an early morning to SJC, I don't see the point. There will be so few connection opportunities since it will miss the flights to Europe in both directions