Delta to start SJC - JFK

Old Dec 12, 17, 4:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, SPG Plat
Delta to start SJC - JFK

Delta to fly from San Jose, CA to Kennedy starting June 8th.

Delta Air Lines will launch San Jose-New York nonstop flights

The times are absolutely horrible, but it's another city for us in the South Bay.

Last edited by SJC ORD LDR; Dec 12, 17 at 5:09 pm Reason: typo
Old Dec 12, 17, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
It looks to be timed as a redeye for SJC-NYC O&D, not to TATL connections. That's the same as the present B6 flight. 1x a day (on the January Monday I checked) for four carriers.
Old Dec 12, 17, 5:28 pm

Programs: Delta FO (I use to be More)
I would have loved this flight back when I use to Fly to SFO

Hated the drive to Cupertino.
Old Dec 12, 17, 5:45 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Delta 1MM, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle
I'll take it as a win even if it's a redeye on a 737. Still might prefer the drive up to SFO with lounge access with better schedules and planes. Would be interesting to see if Delta continues to add flights at SJC. I know there's heavy competition from Southwest and Alaska but some intra-CA nonstops would be nice too- my colleagues always give me the eye roll when I connect in LAX on the way to SAN.
Old Dec 12, 17, 6:31 pm

Programs: DL Gold, Marriott
Originally Posted by jj243 View Post
I'll take it as a win even if it's a redeye on a 737. Still might prefer the drive up to SFO with lounge access with better schedules and planes. Would be interesting to see if Delta continues to add flights at SJC. I know there's heavy competition from Southwest and Alaska but some intra-CA nonstops would be nice too- my colleagues always give me the eye roll when I connect in LAX on the way to SAN.
I seriously doubt that DL has any interest in competing on SJC-SAN.

SJC-LAS was a special case because 1) LAS is a focus city for DL and 2) at the time, SJC-LAS was one of the busiest single-carrier routes in the entire country.

I think there's a minor chance we could see SJC-PDX (since PDX is also a focus city) and I'd like to believe that SJC-DTW will come back one of these days. I don't anticipate any other routes beyond that.
Old Dec 12, 17, 6:33 pm

Programs: DL GM 0.4MM, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
Looks like this is not a D1 route? Looking forward to that long upgrade list.
Old Dec 12, 17, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbant, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by kxc262 View Post
Looks like this is not a D1 route? Looking forward to that long upgrade list.
D1 domestic routes are all now upgrade eligible.
Old Dec 12, 17, 6:52 pm

I think DL will have a hard time selling first class on this route. For a redeye, I'm going to drive 45 mins to SFO and get a flat bed every time! They will have to sell it at a significant discount I believe.
SJC ORD LDR likes this.
Old Dec 12, 17, 7:02 pm

Programs: DL PM, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by kjnangre View Post

SJC-LAS was a special case because 1) LAS is a focus city for DL and 2) at the time, SJC-LAS was one of the busiest single-carrier routes in the entire country.

I think there's a minor chance we could see SJC-PDX (since PDX is also a focus city) and I'd like to believe that SJC-DTW will come back one of these days. I don't anticipate any other routes beyond that.
I know a lot of people that would be ecstatic to see DTW-SJC
Old Dec 12, 17, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by MarkCron View Post
I know a lot of people that would be ecstatic to see DTW-SJC
Me too. SJC-ATL is now 3 times per day and apparently doing quite well. If SJC-JFK succeeds then hopefully DTW becomes the obvious next step

Last edited by kjnangre; Dec 12, 17 at 7:12 pm
Old Dec 12, 17, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Noir, TR 7*, Marriott Tit, UA Gold
Originally Posted by kxc262 View Post
Looks like this is not a D1 route?
Which is a bit of surprise to me, as an armchair route planner I would have expected lots of Silicon Valley $$ making this as viable as any of the other new domestic D1 flights they announced recently. But I cheerfully admit to having no clue or experience how to run a profitable airline, so, shrug
Old Dec 12, 17, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbant, SPG Gold

PDX is a DL focus city? Since when? They couldn't even maintain a year round DTW flight.
Old Dec 12, 17, 8:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Zorak View Post
Which is a bit of surprise to me, as an armchair route planner I would have expected lots of Silicon Valley $$ making this as viable as any of the other new domestic D1 flights they announced recently. But I cheerfully admit to having no clue or experience how to run a profitable airline, so, shrug
I think that while the Santa Clara valley has lots of $$, people can be cheap and just buy Y. Plus, my experience from living there is that a lot of companies don't buy F/J for their employees even on longer international trips.
Old Dec 12, 17, 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare View Post

PDX is a DL focus city? Since when? They couldn't even maintain a year round DTW flight.
Call it what you want. It's the only non-hub that gets both TPAC and TATL service from DL. In the summer it also gets LHR and HNL.
Old Dec 12, 17, 8:24 pm
Original Poster

I think DL will have a hard time selling first class on this route. For a redeye, I'm going to drive 45 mins to SFO and get a flat bed every time! They will have to sell it at a significant discount I believe.
At that time of night, it's not like you have to worry about traffic on 101 or 280. So, that's true.

However, with a redeye out to JFK and an early morning to SJC, I don't see the point. There will be so few connection opportunities since it will miss the flights to Europe in both directions

Search this Thread
Search Engine: