Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Million Miler Gift - Fewer Options to Select From?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2017, 7:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL - DM 1MM Aug 2011-Present | Marriott - Lifetime Platinum

Hey All! Just made DL 1MM this weekend on an SMF-ATL flight. Received the "welcome" email from Delta and excitedly went to select my gift. I've had my eye on the Tumi International Expandable 2 Wheeled Carry-On, which has been a mainstay on the gift selection page on every screen capture I've seen. Even the splash page when you go to select your gift "Tumi: Select from quality luggage and business cases." However, there is currently only one Tumi option for me: The TUMI Alpha 2 T-Pass® Expandable Laptop Brief - Black. Screen capture of options below.

Not sure what happened. Has anyone else seen this change in options? If you've earned MM status in the past and not selected your gift, please let me know if your options have changed.

I'm disappointed a bit, as I pushed to get MM this calendar year (200+ MQM, $26K spend) with hopes of starting next year with new luggage.

Any insight is appreciated!

-Rob

Last edited by RobbyZ; Dec 2, 2017 at 7:36 am Reason: Smaller image
Old Dec 2, 2017, 12:32 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM
Originally Posted by RobbyZ
Hey All! Just made DL 1MM this weekend on an SMF-ATL flight. Received the "welcome" email from Delta and excitedly went to select my gift. I've had my eye on the Tumi International Expandable 2 Wheeled Carry-On, which has been a mainstay on the gift selection page on every screen capture I've seen. Even the splash page when you go to select your gift "Tumi: Select from quality luggage and business cases." However, there is currently only one Tumi option for me: The TUMI Alpha 2 T-Pass® Expandable Laptop Brief - Black. Screen capture of options below.

Not sure what happened. Has anyone else seen this change in options? If you've earned MM status in the past and not selected your gift, please let me know if your options have changed.

I'm disappointed a bit, as I pushed to get MM this calendar year (200+ MQM, $26K spend) with hopes of starting next year with new luggage.

Any insight is appreciated!

-Rob

I made note of this same issue a couple weeks ago on FT. It now seems that there's one fewer TUMI option. The options for TUMI have dwindled from at least two rollaboards to this briefcase. No one at DL can figure out why this is the case. When I first made MM in late July, the rollaboards were available, and now (fast forward a couple months), they're all gone. I want to believe that they're just back ordered or going to be refreshed with a new season of stuff; the other possibility, which would be terrible, is that this is an "enhancement"
Old Dec 2, 2017, 3:10 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
When I turned 1 million miles about two years ago, one of the choices was a bunch of Skymiles. I selected the miles because I didn't need luggage and valued the mile more than the $300 retail of the rollerboard options. I guess redeemable mile aren't an option anymore.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 3:17 pm

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
I hit my MM with the DL/NW merger and back then, there were no Tumi bags available either. Now I've hit 2MM and still no Tumis. I'll probably take another Hartman and sell it on ebay, like the first one.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 4:30 pm

Programs: DL Plat, 1 MM; SPG LT Plat (RIP); Marriott LT Titanium; Fairmont Plat (RIP), DL Kryptonium Medallion
Originally Posted by Bowgie
When I turned 1 million miles about two years ago, one of the choices was a bunch of Skymiles. I selected the miles because I didn't need luggage and valued the mile more than the $300 retail of the rollerboard options. I guess redeemable mile aren't an option anymore.
Do you happen to remember how many miles? I reached 1 MM earlier this year, and they weren't an option.
I'm surprised that all the options DL offers are things that directly cost it money; nothing is "house money" like miles or upgrades.
I think a fair number of people reach 1 MM without ever being Diamond, so having GUCs would be a popular option and, since GUCs don't seem to clear in advance any more, wouldn't cost it any marginal revenue.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I picked the Tumi Tegra-lite (non-expandable) when I hit MM a couple years ago. Wish I had chosen the miles as I rarely use it.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by LBJ
I picked the Tumi Tegra-lite (non-expandable) when I hit MM a couple years ago. Wish I had chosen the miles as I rarely use it.
That's exactly the rollaboard that I wanted to pick! Alas, it's not available...
Old Dec 2, 2017, 5:38 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
When I hit 2MM earlier this year, there was, indeed a Tumi Rollaboard! I still haven't chosen anything - like some of you above - I have no use for a $300-400 piece of luggage. A $$$$$ ECV would be nice, for a choice! @:-) @:-) @:-)

Any idea how long one can hold out making a selection?
Old Dec 2, 2017, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by davetravels
When I hit 2MM earlier this year, there was, indeed a Tumi Rollaboard! I still haven't chosen anything - like some of you above - I have no use for a $300-400 piece of luggage. A $$$$$ ECV would be nice, for a choice! @:-) @:-) @:-)

Any idea how long one can hold out making a selection?
From what I understand, there isn't an expiration date on your selection. Also, when you log into DL.com and look at your 2MM gift options now, do you see TUMI rollaboards as options?
Old Dec 2, 2017, 6:00 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by UVAhoo06
From what I understand, there isn't an expiration date on your selection. Also, when you log into DL.com and look at your 2MM gift options now, do you see TUMI rollaboards as options?
Just checked. Nope. I show the same exact choices as your post above.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 12:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
you might visit your local Tumi retailer and ask if they would take the unused Alpha that you would get from DL in trade toward a rollaboard
Old Dec 4, 2017, 9:48 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Delta DM & 1MM, Hertz and Avis President's Circle
Be patient. When I hit 1MM in February, 2016, the available luggage options was a bunch of discontinued products. I waited until summer when the options were refreshed and got the Tumi International bag.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by GeorgeBurdell
Be patient. When I hit 1MM in February, 2016, the available luggage options was a bunch of discontinued products. I waited until summer when the options were refreshed and got the Tumi International bag.
Let's hope so! I'll definitely wait for a couple months and see what happens.

(Not sound cynical: In 2016, there was still an award chart, DL was much more transparent about process, etc. Times have unfortunately changed, and DL has consistently chipped away at all the benefits that we've earned...)
Old Dec 4, 2017, 6:30 pm

Programs: DL Platinum & MM, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
I hit MM around the start of the year, and since then the options have dwindled. Back then it seemed like some of the Tumi options were not the most recent version, so I was holding out for newer ones, and maybe for a USA-sized carry-on. (Delta offered the international-compliant carry-on. I checked it out in a Tumi store, and it's noticeably smaller than the domestic version.)

I also e-mailed Delta and received written confirmation that there is no deadline to choose the gift.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 10:19 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Originally Posted by Spent_All_My_Miles
Do you happen to remember how many miles? I reached 1 MM earlier this year, and they weren't an option.
I'm surprised that all the options DL offers are things that directly cost it money; nothing is "house money" like miles or upgrades.
I think a fair number of people reach 1 MM without ever being Diamond, so having GUCs would be a popular option and, since GUCs don't seem to clear in advance any more, wouldn't cost it any marginal revenue.
Yeah, a GUC would be a nice option.
To answer your question, I think it was 20,000 redeemable miles. Might have been 25,000, but I don't remember. I value Skymiles at 1.5 cents each, so 20k miles would be a wash with a $300 Tumi.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.