Wiki Posts
Search

Does Delta block some middle seats?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2017, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta
Does Delta block some middle seats?

I'm in 19E on a 2-3-2 and rows 19-23 all have the C and E seats showing empty (other than mine of course) but the D seats occupied. Have Delta just blocked those seats or have 5 people really decided that with 14 other seats available in rows 19-23 the best one to pick is the middle? Would Delta randomly assign those seats when surely it would make more sense to assign a single traveller an aisle so as to keep 2 seats next to one another free, or an A/B/F/G so as to keep a set of 3 free.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 4:00 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
By 2-3-2, I'd guess you're on a 767 -- do you know the variant?

Have you purchased/selected preferred seating?

If so, DL recently stopped allowing you to switch seats to a different "experience" within in the Main Cabin. To my knowledge, within your online reservation, any seat not in your "experience" (Comfort+, Preferred Seat, Regular Economy) will show as blocked. If you search for your flight as if you were going to buy it and select "View Seats," you should be able to see which seats are truly occupied.

Edit: DF136BRC's response below is probably more likely.

Last edited by FlyerWx; Dec 1, 2017 at 4:06 pm
Old Dec 1, 2017, 4:03 pm

The aisles are probably preferred - which means theres a cost to them and the traveler might not have wanted to pay for the seat - hence why they are in the middles.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 4:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Those middle seats were selected by those kettles who prefer not to pay for seat assignments. Very few windows and aisles aren't at least preferred, so unless a kettle has purchased tickets extremely early, chances are that nothing but middle seats are left to be selected for free. Given this, middles relatively toward the front are taken first.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 5:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta
OK, that makes sense. I was in C+ but asked to be moved back as all there was available in C+ was middle seats. Hopefully I'll be lucky and the C seat will stay free so the middle seat person can scoot over and give us both some room.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 6:11 pm

Programs: Delta DM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Those middle seats were selected by those kettles who prefer not to pay for seat assignments.
Kettles?
Old Dec 1, 2017, 6:39 pm

Or two passengers are traveling together and selected middle/aisle or middle/window.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 7:12 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
Or two passengers are traveling together and selected middle/aisle or middle/window.
the post stated 767 equipment, so 2-3-2 config, and is talking about the middle 3 section, so no windows involved; and also explicitly said that in the rows being asked about the middle is taken with both aisles available. In that context your reply doesn't make any sense.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by stor
Kettles?
It's a border-line offensive term that some people use to describe people who aren't frequent travelers. According to the FlyerTalk glossary (link found at the bottom of the page), the term is: "used on FT to describe inexperienced traveler".
Old Dec 4, 2017, 12:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Delta almost always blocks the last two rows of economy in the main cabin, at least on the 767s flying to Europe. Those are reserved for last-minute reservations from elites and/or crew rest. I don't know if they do it on the 777 or other aircraft, as I've never needed it.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 12:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
On many flights, the last two rows are blocked for GA assignment in order to facilitate keeping families with small children together.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by stor
Kettles?

As in Ma and Pa Kettle. Not a frequent flyer.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Delta almost always blocks the last two rows of economy in the main cabin, at least on the 767s flying to Europe. Those are reserved for last-minute reservations from elites and/or crew rest. I don't know if they do it on the 777 or other aircraft, as I've never needed it.
Not sure if always, but on quite a few 737 I have looked at the last row or two are blocked out - or at least not available.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.