Amsterdam Transfer

Old Nov 15, 2017, 7:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Gold, Bonvoy Titanium Elite Lifetime
Amsterdam Transfer

I'll be taking the family to Rome for thanksgiving flying ATL, Ewr, AMS, FCO ( cheap flight). In Amsterdam Will we have to go through passport controls and if so is there a Sky Prority line I can use as a Delta Gold?

also I'm I correct that I can access the lounges with my wife as DL Gold on all legs?

thanks
Old Nov 15, 2017, 9:13 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by tuono07
I'll be taking the family to Rome for thanksgiving flying ATL, Ewr, AMS, FCO ( cheap flight). In Amsterdam Will we have to go through passport controls
Yes.

and if so is there a Sky Prority line I can use as a Delta Gold?
Yes. Apparently not, according to others. There was every time I went through AMS before, but it’s been several years.

also I'm I correct that I can access the lounges with my wife as DL Gold on all legs?

thanks
Yes.

Last edited by ashill; Nov 15, 2017 at 9:39 pm
Old Nov 15, 2017, 9:21 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat
If there is a Priority line at AMS Schengen immigration, I've never seen it before. The only priority line that I've seen is the quick connect line if you have a short connection time.

If there's one that I've been missing all this time, please correct me, as I'd love to use it!
Old Nov 15, 2017, 9:26 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by tuono07
I'll be taking the family to Rome for thanksgiving flying ATL, Ewr, AMS, FCO ( cheap flight). In Amsterdam Will we have to go through passport controls and if so is there a Sky Prority line I can use as a Delta Gold?

thanks
A word of advice to keep an eye on the inbound aircraft for EWR-AMS. I don't know what DL's problem is with that flight, but in my experience, it has been *perennially* delayed, and if the inbound is late, the EWR ground crew seems to be totally unable to make up any time on the turn (and often, the aircraft manages to push back with more of a delay than the inbound arrived with). It's not usually anything major, often only to the tune of 30-40 mins, but enough where I've had to sprint through AMS to make my connection on KL more times than I've cared to (if I don't miss it entirely).
Old Nov 15, 2017, 9:30 pm

Programs: DL Million Miler
Originally Posted by Cory6188
If there is a Priority line at AMS Schengen immigration, I've never seen it before.
There used to be a SkyPriority lane going from Schengen (B/C high-number-D gates) to non-Schengen (E/F/G and low-D gates), but there isn't any more.

From a Newark arrival to a Florence departure you go through passport control to the B/C gates (just follow the signs to B/C - - and high-number-D). With a U.S. passport you have to go through the "All Passport" queue (as opposed to the EU queue.) This can be a real slog, or it can be a breeze. Sometimes there are multiple queues open, and you have to keep a sharp eye out for where the most All Passport booths are open, though most of the time you just line up and wait for things to flow.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 9:39 pm
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
There is definitely no Sky Priority immigration line between the Schengen and non-Schengen sides.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 9:44 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SpinzCity
There used to be a SkyPriority lane going from Schengen (B/C high-number-D gates) to non-Schengen (E/F/G and low-D gates), but there isn't any more.

From a Newark arrival to a Florence departure you go through passport control to the B/C gates (just follow the signs to B/C - - and high-number-D). With a U.S. passport you have to go through the "All Passport" queue (as opposed to the EU queue.) This can be a real slog, or it can be a breeze. Sometimes there are multiple queues open, and you have to keep a sharp eye out for where the most All Passport booths are open, though most of the time you just line up and wait for things to flow.
I've done this transit a number of times and it's never been fun. No priority line and it always takes longer than it seems it should. But you'll be fine. Don't worry about it. AMS is pretty easy, in general.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 1:43 am

Programs: DL PM
i was able to use the e-gates w/ a US passport when i transferred through AMS last month (though in fact i think this took a bit longer than the booths as the lines there were very short at that time)

i'll be passing through again tomorrow evening, will see if it's the same -- i've been turned away for the e-gates in the past even though the sign shows US passports as eligible

[sorry, this is for schengen to non-schengen (so perhaps for your return, if you're flying back through AMS) -- are the e-gates the other way? i can't remember...]

Last edited by roberta_h; Nov 16, 2017 at 1:48 am Reason: schengen
Old Nov 16, 2017, 3:06 am

Programs: DL Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
I'm lucky that my mom is Swedish, so every time I'm in Amsterdam I use my EU passport to transfer from the Schengen to the Non-Schengen side of the airport using the self-immigration lane. But on the way back since US passports are eligible for the self-immigration lane I use that one.

Guess that doesn't help you much though xD
Old Nov 16, 2017, 5:08 am

Programs: Delta Gold, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, UA Gold (status match)
A word of advice to keep an eye on the inbound aircraft for EWR-AMS. I don't know what DL's problem is with that flight, but in my experience, it has been *perennially* delayed, and if the inbound is late, the EWR ground crew seems to be totally unable to make up any time on the turn (and often, the aircraft manages to push back with more of a delay than the inbound arrived with). It's not usually anything major, often only to the tune of 30-40 mins, but enough where I've had to sprint through AMS to make my connection on KL more times than I've cared to (if I don't miss it entirely).
This. Had a nice 5+ hour delay and missed our connection to JRO that was 1x/day.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 6:30 am

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
If there is a Priority line at AMS Schengen immigration, I've never seen it before. The only priority line that I've seen is the quick connect line if you have a short connection time.

If there's one that I've been missing all this time, please correct me, as I'd love to use it!
There is always Privium, you need to go to the special Privium gates at every border control at Schiphol. Fast (security) and border clearance.
Also currently no guests allowed at certain times by KLM @AMS;

As of 1 June 2017 until March 2019 from 07:30 to 11:00 hours (peak hours) the following entry rules apply:

* Lounge vouchers are not accepted.
* Staff and Duty travel customers are not accepted
* Guests of Flying Blue Platinum and Flying Blue Gold and SkyTeam Elite Plus members are only accepted outside peak hours
* Guests of Ultimate, Skipper and C2000 customers are accepted
* Customers travelling to a Schengen destination can make use of the KLM Schengen Crown Lounge (25) instead.

Last edited by Grouchy; Nov 16, 2017 at 6:38 am
Old Nov 16, 2017, 11:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Grouchy
There is always Privium, you need to go to the special Privium gates at every border control at Schiphol. Fast (security) and border clearance.
Also currently no guests allowed at certain times by KLM @AMS;

As of 1 June 2017 until March 2019 from 07:30 to 11:00 hours (peak hours) the following entry rules apply:

* Lounge vouchers are not accepted.
* Staff and Duty travel customers are not accepted
* Guests of Flying Blue Platinum and Flying Blue Gold and SkyTeam Elite Plus members are only accepted outside peak hours
* Guests of Ultimate, Skipper and C2000 customers are accepted
* Customers travelling to a Schengen destination can make use of the KLM Schengen Crown Lounge (25) instead.
I find the Schengen lounge much better. Full food buffett, IMO larger, etc.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 11:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jonathanbak
I'm lucky that my mom is Swedish, so every time I'm in Amsterdam I use my EU passport to transfer from the Schengen to the Non-Schengen side of the airport using the self-immigration lane. But on the way back since US passports are eligible for the self-immigration lane I use that one.

Guess that doesn't help you much though xD
Be careful. This can cause issues. You never entered on the US passport thus an agent (including those working the egates behind the scenes) may take issue.

Egate works for your EU passport. Thus there's np reason not to use it. Also no need to get it stamped after going through the gate.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 4:17 am

Programs: DL Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Be careful. This can cause issues. You never entered on the US passport thus an agent (including those working the egates behind the scenes) may take issue.

Egate works for your EU passport. Thus there's np reason not to use it. Also no need to get it stamped after going through the gate.
Oh ok, I'll take note of that, wasn't aware it could be a problem. Thanks.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 8:42 pm

Programs: UA Prem Plat, CX MPC Silver, CI Dynasty Gold; HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG, IHG Ambassador
When transferring in AMS from DL to KL for FRA, I understand we need to clear immigration at AMS. How about checked through baggage? Do I need to retrieve the baggage after immigration in AMS, and recheck/redeposit it again for the connecting KL flight to FRA?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.