Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta SkyClub Access Changes starting Jan 1, 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta SkyClub Access Changes starting Jan 1, 2019

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2018, 7:41 pm

Programs: DL GM; SPG/Marriott Gold
Same Day Access in Different City?

Delete

Last edited by redhawk; Nov 13, 2018 at 8:54 pm
Old Nov 13, 2018, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by redhawk
Question regarding same day access to SC's when accessing via the AMEX Plat Card. I understand access is restricted to same day travel with a valid Delta ticket, and is possible at the departure (and I believe) arrival airport. Question: would access be restricted to the SC's at the origin and departure airport, or, would I be able to access a SC in any airport on the same day that I hold a Delta ticket?

Scenario: Due to scheduling, would be flying NYC-ORD-GRB on UA, with a long enough layover. On the return later that day, would be flying GRB-DTW-NYC on DL. Can I access the SC in ORD while on layover? Theoretically I would be holding a same DL ticket, but it would be for a completely different O/D. Access policy on DL.com just highlights Delta operated flight requirement, but is silent on any O/D requirements.
discussions of edge cases like this will bring out all the armchair lawyers

worse, they’ll give people ideas, and likely lead to further “enhancements” to reduce the perception of “gaming”
KOTAR1988 likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 8:55 pm

Programs: DL GM; SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jrl767

discussions of edge cases like this will bring out all the armchair lawyers

worse, they’ll give people ideas, and likely lead to further “enhancements” to reduce the perception of “gaming”
Fair enough, genuinely curious but appreciate the unintended outcomes. Deleted
Old Nov 14, 2018, 12:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
United is making the same change November 1, 2019. This really sucks since I like using the UA club passes I get with my Hyatt membership at LAS and it came in handy when the DC skyclub was closed on weekends earlier this year
Keep in mind the Hyatt passes are going away.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by mnredfox

Keep in mind the Hyatt passes are going away.
I forgot they were going away. I always thought it was weird Hyatt gave out United passes seeing Marriott gave out United status to their highest tier. I was in Vegas a couple weeks ago and found out the Priority Pass club in the E gates is only a few minutes from the Delta gates and it's nicer than the United Club.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 11:17 am

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Paplover
I suspect that lifetime membership carries a similar clause to their boilerplate "We can change the rules whenever we want and you have to accept and live with the changes". So, a lawsuit would likely go nowhere since Delta can change whatever rule they want whenever they want with impunity.

From the Delta Sky Club House Rules page - "Delta Sky Club members will not be compensated for changes in locations, rates or House Rules." House Rules include access restrictions related to boarding passes.
I also think both bankruptcies probably have allowed them to get out of certain contractual obligations.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 5:02 pm

Programs: Delta DM, 2MM, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Delta Partner Lounge changes 01/01/19

Spoke with Delta agent today. Sky Team Elite members will not be allowed acess to KLM, Air France, and Virgin Aus. Clubs beginning 01/01/19 unless flying in business/first class. Another perk gone.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 5:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by vassoo
Spoke with Delta agent today. Sky Team Elite members will not be allowed acess to KLM, Air France, and Virgin Aus. Clubs beginning 01/01/19 unless flying in business/first class. Another perk gone.
Elite (FO) or ElitePlus (GM+)?
Old Nov 16, 2018, 5:08 pm

Elite +. Gold, Platinum, Diamond.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 5:09 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Assuming OP means ElitePlus, my guess is the agent was just mistaken and confused the other changes to SkyClub membership with the SkyTeam benefits.

SkyTeam benefits/policy supersedes Delta policy. Partner lounge access should remain.

The only exception here would be Virgin as they are not a SkyTeam member.
Duke787 and btonkid12345 like this.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 5:12 pm

Agent actually researched and called me back. I voiced my displeasure and she said she would pass it on and if they hear from others, it might make a difference. I doubt it!
Old Nov 16, 2018, 5:12 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Before everyone panics: the change: as we currently understand it, is that Sky Club members without further elite status (or flying other airlines) will lose access to these clubs on 1/1/19. So, for example, I previously was able to access the AF lounge in TXL before a Eurowings flight because I had a paid SkyClub membership at the time. That will now no longer be possible. I could also access the AF lounge in airports like IAD or SFO when on a domestic flight, which won’t be possible anymore either.

What we understood to not be changing was access for SkyTeam Elite Plus (DL Gold, Platinum and Diamond), traveling on economy tickets on SkyTeam international flights. Access based on SkyTeam status has always required a same day international flight, but then permits access to any business class lounge operated by a SkyTeam carrier. So if you are a Gold Medallion departing AMS to... well, basically anywhere except Rotterdam , on any SkyTeam flight (operated by KLM, Air France, Delta, Czech Airlines, Korean Air, etc.), you can get into any of the KLM Crown Lounges. You could not enter, however, if on a (for example) Transavia flight - owned by AFKL, but not a SkyTeam member.

Are you sure you aren’t referring to the first change - which was announced late last year, IIRC - and mixing up similar sounding SkyClub and SkyTeam memberships? Business class passengers always get lounge access anyway, so what you’re saying would be effectively a removal of the entire lounge benefit from SkyTeam, which seems unlikely given the competitive environment with other airlines.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 5:13 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Here with go again with another "rogue agent" story -

NOTE: Just because a DL agent says something does not make it true.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 5:18 pm

Actual message—-Thank you for speaking with me this afternoon. Unfortunately, our Diamond, Platinum and Gold Medallion members will not be allowed into Air France, KLM, and Virgin Australian lounges. B...., we appreciate your business and your loyalty.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 5:24 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by vassoo
Actual message—-Thank you for speaking with me this afternoon. Unfortunately, our Diamond, Platinum and Gold Medallion members will not be allowed into Air France, KLM, and Virgin Australian lounges. B...., we appreciate your business and your loyalty.
I totally believe you. My point is that the agent is just misunderstanding the policy change.

If Delta could ax SkyTeam lounge access (which I don't think they can do), it would really be a kick to Delta elites. With C+ being phased out (okay, I know there are rumors of it coming back), that would essentially eliminate the last vestige of Elite benefits for Delta medallions. Without partner lounge access you're left with.. an extra checked bag and maybe a bit better handling during IRROPs. Perhaps access to an exit row if you're one of the very first people to book the flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.