FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Delta SkyClub Access Changes starting Jan 1, 2019 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1877901-delta-skyclub-access-changes-starting-jan-1-2019-a.html)

355F1 Nov 16, 2017 10:33 am

Delta SkyClub Access Changes starting Jan 1, 2019

Loyalty Lobby is reporting some major changes to the SkyClub policy:

​​​​​​https://loyaltylobby.com/2017/11/16/...anuary-1-2019/

​​​​​​Here are the changes:

Sky Club members can only access Club when traveling same-day ticketed Delta or partner flights (previously could access even when flying on other airlines). Sky Club members will lose access to partner lounges (currently access to select Air France, KLM and Virgin Australia lounges).

American Express Platinum and Centurion card holders and guests must be on Delta operated flights. Fee for each guest is $29. Currently access is granted regardless of the airline flown and free for guests.

American Express Reserve card holders have complimentary club access when they are traveling on Delta marketed or operated (Delta coded WestJet also qualify) flights booked on Delta’s ticket stock. There is fee of $29 for each guest that must travel on Delta or any partner airline (previously all airlines). Reserve card holders can also pay this same $29 fee and access the Club when traveling on Delta partner airlines (previously any airline).

American Express SkyMiles Gold & Platinum card holders can now pay $29 to access the club only when traveling on Delta or partner airline (previously could be traveling on any airline).

LoganFlyer Nov 16, 2017 10:44 am

What?! If true, this makes no sense. If I buy a SkyClub membership, I should be able to get into an SC whenever, not just when I'm flying DL.

jamiestr Nov 16, 2017 10:45 am

Guess they are trying to curb overcrowding? Doesn't really affect me since I have a Reserve Card.

andrewk829 Nov 16, 2017 10:47 am

Requirement to be traveling on Delta or a partner as a condition of lounge access seems reasonable. That is a de facto requirement in some airports where different airlines' gates are isolated from each other with respect to security checkpoints.

But, losing access to partner lounges kind of sucks. Is it possible that some people were gaming lounge reciprocity by, say, buying a club membership from the partner that had the lowest membership fee, even if that partner's lounges would get little or no use from that person?

jamesteroh Nov 16, 2017 10:49 am

We will still have access to partner lounges though if we are travelling on DL metal as an STE and/or J though I hope.

TTT Nov 16, 2017 10:52 am

Originally Posted by 355F1 (Post 29067754)
Loyalty Lobby is reporting some major changes to the SkyClub policy:

​​​​​​https://loyaltylobby.com/2017/11/16/...anuary-1-2019/

​​​​​​Here are the changes:

Sky Club members can only access Club when traveling same-day ticketed Delta or partner flights (previously could access even when flying on other airlines). Sky Club members will lose access to partner lounges (currently access to select Air France, KLM and Virgin Australia lounges).

American Express Platinum and Centurion card holders and guests must be on Delta operated flights. Fee for each guest is $29. Currently access is granted regardless of the airline flown and free for guests.

American Express Reserve card holders have complimentary club access when they are traveling on Delta marketed or operated (Delta coded WestJet also qualify) flights booked on Delta’s ticket stock. There is fee of $29 for each guest that must travel on Delta or any partner airline (previously all airlines). Reserve card holders can also pay this same $29 fee and access the Club when traveling on Delta partner airlines (previously any airline).

American Express SkyMiles Gold & Platinum card holders can now pay $29 to access the club only when traveling on Delta or partner airline (previously could be traveling on any airline).

The part in bold isn't correct. The Amex Platinum/Centurion access currently requires same-day Delta flight and the guesting went away a while ago.

DiverDave Nov 16, 2017 10:52 am

Originally Posted by LoganFlyer (Post 29067801)
What?! If true, this makes no sense. If I buy a SkyClub membership, I should be able to get into an SC whenever, not just when I'm flying DL.

This change is lame. Thanks, Ed. :td:

gaugeguy Nov 16, 2017 10:54 am

Originally Posted by DiverDave (Post 29067840)
This change is lame. Thanks, Ed. :td:

I wonder what they will do for those of us who have lifetime memberships. We were grandfathered in as executive memberships.

worldwidedreamer Nov 16, 2017 10:59 am

These changes, if true, significantly reduce the value proposition of the program.

Loosing partner lounge access reduces the value proposition of flying on partner airlines; living in a major market non-DL hub (SFO) flying AF or KE is hugely important for second tier cities. UA, by comparison, provides access to almost all Star Alliance lounges. Also, AA has recently increased reciprocal privileges for Admirals Club members flying on AA.

I can understand limiting guests, increasing revenue per guest by charging more/limiting credit card holders, etc. but limiting access when flying on a non-partner airline seems pretty draconian.

Also----I'm pretty sure that Amex Plat/Cent customers already must be flying DL.

Hope that this article is inaccurate.

xliioper Nov 16, 2017 11:07 am

Originally Posted by LoganFlyer (Post 29067801)

It hasn't technically been "whenever" for awhile now. They've required that you have a same day flight (any airline) for several years.

xliioper Nov 16, 2017 11:13 am

Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer (Post 29067867)
These changes, if true, significantly reduce the value proposition of the program.

Loosing partner lounge access reduces the value proposition of flying on partner airlines; living in a major market non-DL hub (SFO) flying AF or KE is hugely important for second tier cities. UA, by comparison, provides access to almost all Star Alliance lounges. Also, AA has recently increased reciprocal privileges for Admirals Club members flying on AA.

I can understand limiting guests, increasing revenue per guest by charging more/limiting credit card holders, etc. but limiting access when flying on a non-partner airline seems pretty draconian.

Also----I'm pretty sure that Amex Plat/Cent customers already must be flying DL.

Hope that this article is inaccurate.

It only applies to Sky Club members. I would assume many of those who are routinely flying partners internationally will likely have DL Gold status or higher and thus have access via Skyteam Elite Plus status. How many people who are less than Gold actually purchase Sky Club memberships? The bigger issue will be when flying domestically on DL out of IAH and IAD where there are no Sky Clubs. And, yes, the part about Plat/Cent Amex is clearly incorrect as they already are required to be flying DL for access and pay for guests.

KenfromDE Nov 16, 2017 11:24 am

Originally Posted by gaugeguy (Post 29067851)
I wonder what they will do for those of us who have lifetime memberships. We were grandfathered in as executive memberships.

This would be a classic case of bate and switch. If United follows their lead, there goes my LAS substitute lounge. Guess I would need to fly out on Delta and back on United. (Have lifetime in both clubs. United's cost $250 and they tossed in a lifetime membership for my wife and a $25 credit for the previous years membership)

FlagrantViola Nov 16, 2017 11:35 am

This is all good news!

rylan Nov 16, 2017 11:58 am

Significant reduction in benefits in particular for those who have a SC membership. Why strip partner lounge access? That could be a huge loss for pax flying international such as through CDG or AMS.

Really at that point it makes the SC a domestic only lounge program and not worth it.

xliioper Nov 16, 2017 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by KenfromDE (Post 29067976)
This would be a classic case of bate and switch. If United follows their lead, there goes my LAS substitute lounge. Guess I would need to fly out on Delta and back on United. (Have lifetime in both clubs. United's cost $250 and they tossed in a lifetime membership for my wife and a $25 credit for the previous years membership)

That would be "bait", and no it's no a classic case as it requires some form of intent. You can't seriously believe that when they originally sold the lifetime membership many years ago that they would be specifically changing the terms and were intentionally trying to "trick" you. I believe the NW Worldclub memberships did not require that you actually be flying for entrance, so the terms for NW Worldclub lifetime memberships have already been changed once.