Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL Rated #2 Most Likely to Get You Home on Time For Thanksgiving or Christmas

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL Rated #2 Most Likely to Get You Home on Time For Thanksgiving or Christmas

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2017, 7:03 pm

Programs: DL PM & NRSA, AA Gold, ANA Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, National EC Exec, GE, CLEAR
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
It is not. As an example I frequently take the last flight on ATL-DAB and the flight number has changed numerous times. Years ago flight numbers pretty much stayed the same on a given route.
Totally OT, but really? God, I took that route like six times over the summer. Bummer we didn't bump into each other
Old Nov 8, 2017, 7:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by TheLifeOfA_NKCM
Totally OT, but really? God, I took that route like six times over the summer. Bummer we didn't bump into each other
Yeah I fly it pretty frequently. On my flight into DAB a couple of weeks ago it was really cool. Both pilots were female. I've only had that happen once before.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 10:44 pm

I confess I have personally engaged in arrival time padding myself. It allowed me to have another drink after work before getting home. 😇
Old Nov 9, 2017, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by minnyfly
Aggregate totals based on old data (one year is too old) and limited sample size are a poor way to decide what flight to take. What really matters is the specific route/carrier combination based on recent ontime performance. And that's just for a nonstop. If connecting that throws another mathematical and weather wrench into the equation. Articles like these are ultimately misleading to consumers.

That check against is clearly not strong enough to reduce padding block times. Clearly most, if not all, airlines are voting in favor of padding block times. And it makes sense economically. A few more minutes of crew cost is a lot less than a planeload of IRROPS and the loss of marketing power with lower ontime rates.

It depends on the route, but in general DL seems to be the worst offender at padding block times. Your ATL-DEN example is skewed by UA's longest block times being flown by slower E175s. That's a normal variation. What isn't is routes such as ORD-SEA, as DL adds more time over both AA and UA with equally quick aircraft.

Aircraft utilization isn't much of an issue aside from point-to-point LCCs. DL in particular leaves healthy sit times at hub and outstations before the next flight.

I'd rather be able to pick a carrier based on their true performance, not rigged statistics.

Getting in early and waiting for a gate or arriving 14 minutes late during a tight connection isn't helpful either.

That's why I'm a big proponent of the DOT adding a departure-based time into the equation.

Padded times are generally taken into account for gate purposes. If they have to wait, it's a minor inconvenience that's easy to sell to waiting passengers.
How is it a rigged stat? It's the airline being realistic about the actual time it takes to get from A to B when there are so many things beyond DL's control that can effect the timing.

One CAN get from JFO to SFO in ~6 hours if the plane gets to push right out, quick taxi to the runway with no waiting, cleared to land on a direct path with a gate available with a quick taxi. But then add 8 minutes for the guy who refuses to check his carry on without looking in every single bin. Add 35 minutes for being 30th in line for take off, add 20 minutes for ATC having you circle SFO, add another 10 minutes to vector to the proper runway, add 10 more minutes for having to taxi to a gate that's not particularly close to the runway. Add 5 for waiting for some other airlines 777 to clear the taxiway. That's 68 minutes before we get to weather, or some other runway incursion. And that's by far not as bad as it can get at JFK or SFO.

So I think it's a good thing that they take the customer friendly approach of being realistic about the time it takes. It makes for a far better experience. Less running through airports, fewer miss-connects, and generally a less stressful experience.

Originally Posted by muishkin
I do think Delta pads more than AA though. A quick a look at my frequent route JFK-SFO: in the Dec outbound Delta's blocks average 7hrs 02 minutes while AA's blocks average 6hrs 47 mins. Additionally, AA only operates A321s on this route, albeit with a light load. The average cruise speed of the A321s is 15 mph slower than the average cruise speed of 767s and 757s.
AA's T-Con A321 have 102 seats
DL's T-Con 767's have 208 seats
DL's T-Con 757's have 168 seats

The extra time DL blocks for the flight could be to account for the additional time it takes to load/unload much higher passenger counts.
OHDL1 likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 11:33 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
You can't compare two different measures as if they are the same. On-time performance depends on a threshold that is set differently by each airline. Of course one airline will have better on-time statistics, if they always set more time for the same trip. It's like comparing apples and oranges but more subtle.
Absolutely false. There are clearly published rules. https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/14/234.4

Airlines are in the business of delivering people from one airport to another as quickly as possible. The average trip time from the published departure time is a far more fair measure of an airline operational competency which is what we are talking about here.
No it isn't, which is why the DOT created rules. Just like any other service provider, airlines are judged by how they deliver compared to what was promised.

Now, if you want to create your own ontime metrics based on non-like products, go ahead, but the accepted standard is the DOT rules.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 11:42 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
I do think Delta pads more than AA though. A quick a look at my frequent route JFK-SFO: in the Dec outbound Delta's blocks average 7hrs 02 minutes while AA's blocks average 6hrs 47 mins. Additionally, AA only operates A321s on this route, albeit with a light load. The average cruise speed of the A321s is 15 mph slower than the average cruise speed of 767s and 757s.

Today:
AA1574 ATL-ORD 2:15
DL2102 ATL-ORD 1:58

Anecdotal evidence is fantastic!
Old Nov 10, 2017, 1:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by HDQDD
Today:
AA1574 ATL-ORD 2:15
DL2102 ATL-ORD 1:58

Anecdotal evidence is fantastic!
https://www.wsj.com/articles/which-a...ost-1498662950
Old Nov 10, 2017, 7:44 am

Pay wall, but thanks anyway.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 7:47 am
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Absolutely false. There are clearly published rules. https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/14/234.4

No it isn't, which is why the DOT created rules. Just like any other service provider, airlines are judged by how they deliver compared to what was promised.

Now, if you want to create your own ontime metrics based on non-like products, go ahead, but the accepted standard is the DOT rules.
Thanks for the link. Very much agreed. ^
Old Nov 10, 2017, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Pay wall, but thanks anyway.
Ahh, right. Well here's the pertinent data for average domestic schedule padding...
DL: 6.4%
UA: 4.5%
AA: 2.7%
Old Nov 10, 2017, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by javabytes
Ahh, right. Well here's the pertinent data for average domestic schedule padding...
Love to see the methodology for that. Padding compared to what? Average in flight time?
Old Nov 10, 2017, 8:32 am

Depends what you call a "smaller" carrier. Any airline (regional or not) that carries >= 1% of pax traffic already has to report. Been that way for at least 15 years.
What they are changing is any EDV flight operating as Delta connection (all of them) will be counted against DAL. Which will mean a drop in performance numbers but make the figures more meaningful and comparable as SWA, JBU, etc cannot cancel someone else's flight to make sure one of theirs isn't impacted.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Love to see the methodology for that. Padding compared to what? Average in flight time?
Actual gate to gate time.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 11:19 am

If you guys are really interested in a deep dive into the data and statistical analysis of this topic, this paper does an amazing analysis. The conclusion is that there is padding, with improved on schedule arrivals, but it discusses the potential benefits and detriments of this. It also breaks down and controls for the many different reasons that departure time to gate arrival times have increased, including flight time, tarmac time, congestion, etc.

https://poseidon01.ssrn.com/delivery...065017&EXT=pdf
Old Nov 10, 2017, 1:24 pm

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
The average trip time from the published departure time is a far more fair measure of an airline operational competency which is what we are talking about here.
That would be a fantastic measure to give consumers in order to make a more informed decision. The DOT needs to wake up and make adjustments.

Originally Posted by C W
The trip times are entirely transparent, however. You get to see them when you buy your ticket.
But it's not at all transparent. Trip times are becoming less and less a true measure. And what you get when you buy your ticket is not the whole story. The problem with schedule padding is that it doesn't give consumers the truest story when they decide on a route or even entire carrier to fly with. It's misleading consumers for financial gain. At best it's unethical.

Originally Posted by kop84
How is it a rigged stat? It's the airline being realistic about the actual time it takes to get from A to B when there are so many things beyond DL's control that can effect the timing.

One CAN get from JFO to SFO in ~6 hours if the plane gets to push right out, quick taxi to the runway with no waiting, cleared to land on a direct path with a gate available with a quick taxi. But then add 8 minutes for the guy who refuses to check his carry on without looking in every single bin. Add 35 minutes for being 30th in line for take off, add 20 minutes for ATC having you circle SFO, add another 10 minutes to vector to the proper runway, add 10 more minutes for having to taxi to a gate that's not particularly close to the runway. Add 5 for waiting for some other airlines 777 to clear the taxiway. That's 68 minutes before we get to weather, or some other runway incursion. And that's by far not as bad as it can get at JFK or SFO.

So I think it's a good thing that they take the customer friendly approach of being realistic about the time it takes. It makes for a far better experience. Less running through airports, fewer miss-connects, and generally a less stressful experience.
It's not realistic. That's the issue. Block times have become so generous that it takes significant detriments to not officially arrive ontime. It's rigging the ontime because it helps hide sloppy operations.

Block times are from gate-to-gate. So above-wing issues such as loading and unloading an airplane should not come into play (unless you have sloppy operations).

The problem to consumers isn't necessarily when you're on the airplane. It's also when you make a purchasing decision based on it.

Originally Posted by javabytes
Interesting how that largely follows their overall ontime percentage.

Originally Posted by flyerslc
If you guys are really interested in a deep dive into the data and statistical analysis of this topic, this paper does an amazing analysis. The conclusion is that there is padding, with improved on schedule arrivals, but it discusses the potential benefits and detriments of this. It also breaks down and controls for the many different reasons that departure time to gate arrival times have increased, including flight time, tarmac time, congestion, etc.
Great find, thanks for sharing. I see it just came out too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.