Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL Rated #2 Most Likely to Get You Home on Time For Thanksgiving or Christmas

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2017, 11:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: No flights since April 2019 (Medical Issues). Lost all my status.

Condé Nast says so....

https://apple.news/Ak5TQrTdjTamQFEQGtW7y7Q
Old Nov 8, 2017, 11:33 am

Why is HA listed among the other domestic airlines? It hardly seems like a fair comparison....was there a cloud over OGG once? Is HA dealing with being 43rd in line for departure from ITO?

Just one of the things that's always bothered me about the DOT reporting...along with not reporting the connection carrier with the mainline numbers.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 11:45 am
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Yeah HA being included seems odd. Also very strange about how the article is an article about an article Very meta, it makes my head hurt

They should also have mentioned that WN is even more of a dumpster fire than normal and is underperforming even the ULCC usual suspects at the moment.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 12:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Keep in mind that things are not always as they same. Delta frequently changes flight numbers if the on-time ratings drops. So when they change the flight number it's like hitting a reset switch.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by kop84
Why is HA listed among the other domestic airlines? It hardly seems like a fair comparison....was there a cloud over OGG once? Is HA dealing with being 43rd in line for departure from ITO?

Just one of the things that's always bothered me about the DOT reporting...along with not reporting the connection carrier with the mainline numbers.

A good example of why everyone should apply critical thinking skills and think about the context of articles and data. I actually think that the DOT numbers are more transparent and more helpful presented in this way. HA is almost always #1 for the reasons you mentioned, but DL sometimes beats them for the top spot, and given the context of DL's operations and situation vs HA, that is impressive^^ For the regional carriers, it is really helpful to have them broken out separately as it shows the wide variance between the performance of mainline and regional flights that you would not see if the data is jumbled together, since we know mainline and regional flights are treated differently when delays begin piling up. I make a lot of my flight decisions based on that disparity. i.e. Is the better upgrade chance or schedule on a regional jet worth the delay risk or do I need to get to my destination on time and therefore book the mainline flight?
Old Nov 8, 2017, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
Keep in mind that things are not always as they same. Delta frequently changes flight numbers if the on-time ratings drops. So when they change the flight number it's like hitting a reset switch.
Not sure where your info comes from but it's incorrect.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 12:19 pm

That keeps them off the chronically delayed flight list, but it doesn't magically eliminate previously delayed flights from the DOT data.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 12:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Jeff767
It is not. As an example I frequently take the last flight on ATL-DAB and the flight number has changed numerous times. Years ago flight numbers pretty much stayed the same on a given route.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by Jeff767
readywhenyouare incorrect....no, never! He's not always right.....but, he's never wrong.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 12:50 pm

It is not. As an example I frequently take the last flight on ATL-DAB and the flight number has changed numerous times. Years ago flight numbers pretty much stayed the same on a given route.
Wow....one whole example. It must be true then.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by kop84
Regional flight data start getting reported by the marketing carrier next year.

Starting in 2018, the government will finally begin counting flights operated by smaller carriers and the major airlines’ regional partners, most of which are not currently included in the monthly statistics.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/18/b...time-data.html
Old Nov 8, 2017, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Absolutely incorrect. New flight numbers and small changes to scheduled departure time don't count as new flights. From the relevant CFR, 14 CFR 234.2:

New flight means a flight added to a carrier's schedule to operate in a specific origin-destination city pair and not scheduled to depart within 30 minutes of any discontinued flight that was contained in the carrier's published schedules for the same city pair during the previous month.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 2:11 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Gold
I think the point was, the yearly data is just # flights ontime / # flights so flight number changes don't matter.

Yes, if they are showing you per-flight data then a flight number might matter. But the per-flight data is pretty useless around a big holiday like Thanksgiving or Christmas anyways so I am not sure how that's relevant in this thread.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 2:12 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Not sure how DL stacks up against the competition but the padding they put in the posted times is a lot.

I fly PBI-ATl and the reverse weekly and the blocked flight time is close to 2 hours for a flight that typically is 1:20-1:30 wheels up to wheels down.

Are there any rules in place for how much time can be blocked?
Old Nov 8, 2017, 2:20 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
Originally Posted by apodo77
Not sure how DL stacks up against the competition but the padding they put in the posted times is a lot.

I fly PBI-ATl and the reverse weekly and the blocked flight time is close to 2 hours for a flight that typically is 1:20-1:30 wheels up to wheels down.

Are there any rules in place for how much time can be blocked?
Just the rules of physics.

The check to airlines against scheduling longer block times is that they have to also schedule sufficient turns for the aircraft so if they add 15 min to the block time that means that the next flight using that aircraft is pushed out by 15 minutes and eventually it adds up to lower utilization of the equipment and crews which increases costs.

I don't think comparing block time to flight time is the appropriate way to determine if DL is padding. Rather, look at how long competitors block similar flights and I think you'll find that DL isn't that far out of line. A quick example, ATL-DEN, DL ranges between 3h19m to 3h26m, UA is 3h31m to 3h48m, SW is 3h25m, and F9 is 3h17 to 3h32m. If anyone is padding it's UA.
calrick likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.