Community
Wiki Posts
Search

C+ Upgrades Coming to TATL Soon?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2017, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Still, the routes with APD (or similar taxes/fees) are a significant fraction of DL's TATL traffic. In fact, most DL passengers on the LHR routes would be originating there rather than connecting (like CDG and AMS) since VS doesn't offer many connecting flights and KLM/AF (and AZ, RIP, etc.) connections would be pretty much limited to their hubs, which would just needlessly add a connection.
Germany has a fixed APD and the higher France APD only applies to Business/First. Which origins outside the UK have a higher tax for C+ than coach.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 9:48 am

Programs: DL Platinum, 1 MM
I have an e-mail from Delta confirming my complimentary upgrade to C+ on a TATL round trip. I got "enhanced" back to regular coach over the weekend as well. I am going to wait a day or two to see whether this is just one of those Delta IT features that gets fixed and then call the Platinum line and see what they can do.

In any case, I think this is definitely a sign of enhancements to come, no more upgrades to C+ for elites on TATL is on the horizon.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 9:50 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by drminn
In any case, I think this is definitely a sign of enhancements to come, no more upgrades to C+ for elites on TATL is on the horizon.
I don't know if I would go that far. I think we will see the same rules as we currently do on deep South America and TPAC flights (i.e. an upgrade vs. seat selection).

The difference here is the implementation of the W fare class and the upgrade process was done with the usual Delta care and attention to details.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 9:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by LBJ
Germany has a fixed APD and the higher France APD only applies to Business/First. Which origins outside the UK have a higher tax for C+ than coach.
The point is that the LHR (and other British airports subject to APD) flights are a significant portion of DL's TATL traffic, with very few of the passengers on these flights doing connections at LHR (or elsewhere in Great Britain) from outside of the UK, so that very few on these flights would be exempt from APD.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 9:55 am
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Originally Posted by TTT
I don't know if I would go that far. I think we will see the same rules as we currently do on deep South America and TPAC flights (i.e. an upgrade vs. seat selection).

The difference here is the implementation of the W fare class and the upgrade process was done with the usual Delta care and attention to details.
I agree. C+ upgrades will stick around, albeit with reduced inventory, until long-haul C+ is phased out in favor of PS.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 10:12 am

Programs: DL Platinum, 1 MM
Originally Posted by TTT

Interestingly enough, on my flights to South America (Brazil) the C+ seats are sticking for now. The online record for those has a "manage complimentary upgrades" link, while the TATL reservations say "not upgrade eligible".
Old Oct 30, 2017, 10:20 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by drminn
Interestingly enough, on my flights to South America (Brazil) the C+ seats are sticking for now. The online record for those has a "manage complimentary upgrades" link, while the TATL reservations say "not upgrade eligible".
The difference is that S. American flights have had the C+ as an upgrade for quite some time. The change here is that TATL flights did not (until this past weekend). Instead, TATL flights were managed as a seat selection charge rather than a different class of service.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 11:13 am

Programs: DL-PM
http://news.delta.com/delta-comfort-...c-destinations

Posted on Twitter by the news hub, but scarce on detail.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 11:25 am

Programs: DL Diamond 4 MM, Marriott Titanium
From the Medaion Benefits page:
For flights that depart January 22, 2018, and beyond, Medallion Members will also be eligible to request automatic Complimentary Upgrades to Delta Comfort+ on all Delta flights to/from Europe, Africa, India, and the Middle East.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TTT
The difference is that S. American flights have had the C+ as an upgrade for quite some time. The change here is that TATL flights did not (until this past weekend). Instead, TATL flights were managed as a seat selection charge rather than a different class of service.
I suspect the most likely reason for the delay with TATL flights is that DL had previously been using W fares for partner Premium Economy seats on VS, AF, and AZ. They have been moving those partner PE seats over to P/A/G fare classes over the last year. Now that they are moved, it has freed up the W fare class to be used for C+ seats.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 11:44 am
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
It's all seriously messed up right now.

All TATL flights that are now faring C+ (which isn't all of them, for example AMS-PDX isn't) are showing as "Not Upgrade Eligible to Comfort+" and the fare differences are hilarious. I'm seeing £500 one way sometimes, then if you book it you're instantly presented with a buy-up at 1/5 the price

Intriguingly for dummy bookings out of LHR the buy-up cost is £74.95, almost exactly the increase in APD. I did bookings with and without my SM number and the price is the same.

Some real answers from @SkyMilesTeam would be greatly appreciated. I certainly won't be booking any more TATL travel on DL until the upgrades are sorted out.
altabello likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mills1090
http://news.delta.com/delta-comfort-...c-destinations

Posted on Twitter by the news hub, but scarce on detail.
Originally Posted by IndyDave
For flights that depart January 22, 2018, and beyond, Medallion Members will also be eligible to request automatic Complimentary Upgrades to Delta Comfort+ on all Delta flights to/from Europe, Africa, India, and the Middle East.
Don't think this has been highlighted enough yet. This is confirmation of a change in the process for Europe / India / MEA effective January 22nd and in all likelihood moving to the AP/NA/LA approach utilized in those regions.

Delta continues to expand Delta Comfort+ fares to more global markets, making it easier to shop and buy Delta's menu of products.

Effective Oct. 28, Delta will begin selling Delta Comfort+ as a fare for flights departing Jan. 22, 2018, and beyond in most markets within the trans-Atlantic region including flights from North America to Europe, the Middle East and Africa.

In March 2015, Delta introduced Delta Comfort+ as the airline's industry-leading extra legroom product experience that offers Sky Priority boarding with dedicated overhead bin space, and complimentary, branded snacks and premium beverages on flights more than 250 miles. Delta Comfort+ customers on long-haul international flights are also treated to Rest and Refresh kits with eye shades, ear plugs and a dental kit featuring Colgate toothpaste.

Since then, the popularity of Delta Comfort+ has surged and Delta has continued to increase the number of Delta Comfort+ seats to all mainline aircraft.

In November 2015, Delta began selling Delta Comfort+ as a fare for travel in the U.S. and Canada – previously customers were able to purchase Delta Comfort+ as an add-on seat product. Over the past few years the product has continued to expand, with the airline offering Delta Comfort + as a fare to all destinations in the Asia-Pacific and Latin America/Caribbean regions, as well as the U.S. and Canada, as of May 2017.
Source: http://news.delta.com/delta-comfort-...c-destinations

The bottom part to me means that Europe / MEA will be following the AP/LA/NA model going forward.

There is also a part where they say "most" (bolded above by me) that may suggest that for UK they will not implement this due to APD issues.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 12:31 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by Duke787
There is also a part where they say "most" (bolded above by me) that may suggest that for UK they will not implement this due to APD issues.
It's odd that one of the routes C W pointed out that's current exempt is PDX-AMS. Not sure what the reason is for that.

However, it's already been done for LHR, GLA and EDI. Check the APD on this departure out of LHR on 1/22:

Last edited by dw; Oct 30, 2017 at 12:58 pm
Old Oct 30, 2017, 12:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by IndyDave
......on a space available basis.

Asia isn't included, so is there a change for flights that still have C+ on these routes (i.e., not the A350 when it appears).
Old Oct 30, 2017, 1:05 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 4 MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
......on a space available basis.

Asia isn't included, so is there a change for flights that still have C+ on these routes (i.e., not the A350 when it appears).
I just quoted the change. Here is the entire explanation:
Medallion Members are eligible to request automatic Complimentary Upgrades to Delta Comfort+ on:
all flights within the U.S. 50 and Canada
all flights within Latin America/Caribbean and Asia Pacific markets, including China and Hong Kong

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.