Wiki Posts
Search

JFK SkyClub - The WORST I've ever seen

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2017, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by muishkin
Not all of AA's flounge visitors at JFK are going on a transatlantic. Some are arriving from an int'l flight and connecting to a domestic flight.

I like to see Delta offer a similar premium lounge experience at JFK i.e. good complimentary champagne (at least a Bollinger like what AA provides), good complimentary hot food in either self-serving buffet form and/or a dedicated dining area. I would fly Delta to Europe more out of JFK if they provided an equivalent lounge experience.
I'm not a very frequent DL flyer, but what I do find offensive is if I'm in a paid premium international seat (or transcon), I have to pay for a superior beverage. I don't when I'm flying AA (either drink chits in an airport without Flagship, or Flagship lounge), or on a foreign carrier. I have only been to the JFK T4 lounge once - very crowded. Food selection ok. Set up a bit annoying. Little paper plates, a joke. I'll be there again soon ... bar open at 6am?
Old Oct 25, 2017, 10:02 pm
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I'm not a very frequent DL flyer, but what I do find offensive is if I'm in a paid premium international seat (or transcon), I have to pay for a superior beverage. I don't when I'm flying AA (either drink chits in an airport without Flagship, or Flagship lounge), or on a foreign carrier. I have only been to the JFK T4 lounge once - very crowded. Food selection ok. Set up a bit annoying. Little paper plates, a joke. I'll be there again soon ... bar open at 6am?
In fairness, AA's drink chit liquors are largely equivalent to Delta's complimentary selection. Although I agree with your sentiment in general.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by C W
In fairness, AA's drink chit liquors are largely equivalent to Delta's complimentary selection. Although I agree with your sentiment in general.
Sounds like DL has improved and AA has declined. They used to have some decent wines on pour.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 6:11 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
They don’t serve alcohol until 8am at T4. It’s quite funny to sit at the bar with a Diet Coke pre-8am and watch the bartender tell person after person he/she can’t serve what they want until 8am.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 9:02 am

I was in the ATL D12 Sky Club yesterday and it was miserably crowded. Food was good, however. Felt more like a cubicle than a club.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 9:22 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
On small paper plates that are more appropriate as a bread plate. And with plastic flatware.
SFO and SEA have real china and flatware. Maybe others do as well not sure. I'm thinking other lounges will head this direction as they remodel and add more dishwashing capacity.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AANYC1981
They don’t serve alcohol until 8am at T4. It’s quite funny to sit at the bar with a Diet Coke pre-8am and watch the bartender tell person after person he/she can’t serve what they want until 8am.
NY State Liquor law?
Old Oct 26, 2017, 9:52 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
NY State Liquor law?
I think so, not positive though. Can't have any alcohol with your Sunday brunch until noon too in Manhattan. Doesn't bother me though since who's eating before noon on a Sunday anyway
Old Oct 26, 2017, 11:16 am

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum Elite, DL PM (MM)
I was in this club yesterday and there were multiple parties (one of 3 and another of 4) who were employees flying non-rev. The group of 3 were all employees and my guess is the group of 4 just had 1 employee in it.

I was under the impression (perhaps incorrectly) that people flying NRSA were not allowed in the club.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 11:24 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
I don't believe that nonrevs or for that matter DL employees in general get club access simply by virtue of nonrev travel or being employees. However if they have some other access credential or membership available to any member of the traveling public, then I don't see why they would be excluded either.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 11:30 am

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum Elite, DL PM (MM)
Originally Posted by Zorak
I don't believe that nonrevs or for that matter DL employees in general get club access simply by virtue of nonrev travel or being employees. However if they have some other access credential or membership available to any member of the traveling public, then I don't see why they would be excluded either.
I agree...but they were not the traveling public they were employees traveling for free or at a discount. If they have paid for a ticket and have ability for access (on their own, not I know X who works the check in counter and they will let us in) then I have absolutely no problem.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 11:32 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by mbowden19
I agree...but they were not the traveling public they were employees traveling for free or at a discount. If they have paid for a ticket and have ability for access (on their own, not I know X who works the check in counter and they will let us in) then I have absolutely no problem.
They could have other forms of access: Amex, etc.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 11:35 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles KM, Sky Club/Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by stencil
They could have other forms of access: Amex, etc.
I know quite a few nonrevs (myself included) that have access through Amex (mostly nonbranded Platinum, but some DL Reserve). We pay the standard, published fee for both cards (no DL discount).
Old Oct 26, 2017, 11:43 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by mbowden19
I agree that they shouldn't get in, if the ONLY reason is that they know the person working the counter who lets them in on the sly.

But given that people with a regular Sky Club membership can access the SC even if they flying another airline, I personally find it hard to get too worked up about someone with otherwise-valid creds accessing the club on a nonrev ticket as opposed to a revenue ticket, but if that's something you care about that's fine too
Old Oct 26, 2017, 12:46 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
On small paper plates that are more appropriate as a bread plate. And with plastic flatware.
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
SFO and SEA have real china and flatware. Maybe others do as well not sure. I'm thinking other lounges will head this direction as they remodel and add more dishwashing capacity.
Thankfully, the clubs I frequent have adopted reasonably-sized, shallow compostable bowls that are actually appropriate for a salad bar, which is more or less what the Sky Club offerings have become. Still, proper plates and flatware (à la ATL B, SFO, and SEA) would be better still.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.