Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Not true -Delta has indicated to me there will be NO global upgrades to Delta Suites?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Not true -Delta has indicated to me there will be NO global upgrades to Delta Suites?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2017, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
I'm not a lawyer, but that strikes me as dangerous. I remember quite a few retailers have gotten in trouble for advertising something as being available that was never available in reality or calling something a sale when it's never sold at regular price.

American has gotten a lot of bad publicity for not having any award availability on routes like Sydney, Australia. It actually had to open some up.
They never promised a seat on every flight. Simply subject to availability. Plenty of non A350 D1 seats get upgraded in advance. I'm betting at least a few will clear at gate for A350, even if not every flight. At least till they figure out $1000 surcharge just for stepping on the plane in D1 is absurd cash pricing.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 5:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by flyerCO
They never promised a seat on every flight. Simply subject to availability. Plenty of non A350 D1 seats get upgraded in advance. I'm betting at least a few will clear at gate for A350, even if not every flight. At least till they figure out $1000 surcharge just for stepping on the plane in D1 is absurd cash pricing.
I didn't say they promised a seat would be available on every flight, but if something is advertised as being available but in reality isn't genuinely available then there could, I think, be potential complications. It would be interesting to know if they have stopped clearing upgrades in advance for the A350. There's no way of knowing.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 5:21 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
I am wait listed for a GUC on NRT-DTW on the A350 in November. I had a similar experience to OP with the phone agent and had to escalate it to a supervisor. At first, even the supervisor insisted you cannot go from Main Cabin to D1 Suite. Finally after reading the terms of the certificate and breaking down the sentence structure, she moved forward with applying the certificate. It was frustrating, but I've been assured by the DL twitter the certificate is applied correctly.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 6:29 pm

Programs: SPG, DL
I didn't say they promised a seat would be available on every flight, but if something is advertised as being available but in reality isn't genuinely available then there could, I think, be potential complications. It would be interesting to know if they have stopped clearing upgrades in advance for the A350. There's no way of knowing.
it doesn’t matter, at all, whether they are clearing upgrades 2 seconds, 2 minutes, 2 hours, 2 days, or 2 months in advance. If they are clearing ANY GUC upgrades into D1, then they aren’t in any legal risk.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by SkyMilesTeam
Hi everyone, wanted to clear up any confusion surrounding Delta One suite upgrades. Diamond Medallion Members can use one Global Upgrade Certificate to upgrade directly to a Delta One suite from any cabin of service offered on the flight – including Main Cabin (excluding Basic Economy).
You know that.

Now we know that.

But, why don't your phone agents know that?

Really...
Old Oct 19, 2017, 9:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
But, why don't your phone agents know that?
Or supervisors.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 11:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Or supervisors.
I believe most agents are "supervisors."
Old Oct 20, 2017, 5:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by SkyMilesTeam
Hi everyone, wanted to clear up any confusion surrounding Delta One suite upgrades. Diamond Medallion Members can use one Global Upgrade Certificate to upgrade directly to a Delta One suite from any cabin of service offered on the flight – including Main Cabin (excluding Basic Economy).
If this has already been confirmed by Delta, why hasn't the FT Moderator changed the thread of this title to include "{NOT TRUE}" or something like that in the thread? The thread title is now 100% misleading and wrong.

-RM
Old Oct 20, 2017, 6:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
If this has already been confirmed by Delta, why hasn't the FT Moderator changed the thread of this title to include "{NOT TRUE}" or something like that in the thread? The thread title is now 100% misleading and wrong.

-RM
Perhaps because the moderators are not paid employees that monitor and read every thread 24/7. @:-)

Also that is why we have the RBP tool and the thread's title has now been changed.

RSSrsvp - Moderator
Xeno, ijgordon, hnewman and 2 others like this.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 6:35 am

Internal reminder sent out about this. Can be from any fare except Basic Economy, only one cert needed.
ijgordon likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by RSSrsvp
Perhaps because the moderators are not paid employees that monitor and read every thread 24/7. @:-)

Also that is why we have the RBP tool and the thread's title has now been changed.

RSSrsvp - Moderator
Thanks. I guess I'm used to the UA thread where thread titles are updated daily <g>

I have no idea what the RBP tool is. I'll research it.

-RM
Old Oct 20, 2017, 7:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by WidgetTravels
Internal reminder sent out about this. Can be from any fare except Basic Economy, only one cert needed.
AFAIK one cert is needed to go directly from coach to D1 Suites, but if you first upgrade to Premium Economy (and if the ticket is reissued, I suppose) and then upgrade later (perhaps because upgrade inventory wasn't available earlier) from Premium Economy to D1 Suites, one GUC will be used at each stage, for each upgrade, so that a total of TWO GUCs per direction per passenger will be taken.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 7:21 am

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
AFAIK one cert is needed to go directly from coach to D1 Suites, but if you first upgrade to Premium Economy (and if the ticket is reissued, I suppose) and then upgrade later (perhaps because upgrade inventory wasn't available earlier) from Premium Economy to D1 Suites, one GUC will be used at each stage, for each upgrade, so that a total of TWO GUCs per direction per passenger will be taken.
I think we'll have to explicitly say "I only want an upgrade directly to D1, not PE".

I can see customers getting screwed out of 2 certs if they don't say this when booking.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 7:25 am
Suspended

I really hope each and every diamond is emailing or calling Delta to ask them to change their policy to allow you to upgrade into premium-economy with a global upgrade certificate and then waitlist for business-class, if it opens up. To not allow this is just silly, but Delta will only change the policy if enough of us complain.

Of course, it's obvious that Delta wants all of us to just buy a premium-economy ticket. I'll withhold judgment until someone actually flies it for 14 hours, but it's disappointing that the premium-economy seats are only one-half of an inch wider than an economy-class seat. It's also disappointing that Delta went with four seats in the middle section of premium-economy instead of three seats, which is the premium-economy configuration of many other airlines flying the A350. It could have at least separated the four middle seats into two pairs, giving some privacy.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 7:28 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
Thanks. I guess I'm used to the UA thread where thread titles are updated daily <g>

I have no idea what the RBP tool is. I'll research it.

-RM
RBP means colloquially "Report Bad Post." Look for the red Alert button on the bottom left of any message. Click it to alert a mod about a thread or post.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.