Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Not true -Delta has indicated to me there will be NO global upgrades to Delta Suites?

Not true -Delta has indicated to me there will be NO global upgrades to Delta Suites?

Reply

Old Oct 19, 17, 4:50 pm
  #46  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: San Antonio
Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 14,368
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider View Post
I'm not a lawyer, but that strikes me as dangerous. I remember quite a few retailers have gotten in trouble for advertising something as being available that was never available in reality or calling something a sale when it's never sold at regular price.

American has gotten a lot of bad publicity for not having any award availability on routes like Sydney, Australia. It actually had to open some up.
They never promised a seat on every flight. Simply subject to availability. Plenty of non A350 D1 seats get upgraded in advance. I'm betting at least a few will clear at gate for A350, even if not every flight. At least till they figure out $1000 surcharge just for stepping on the plane in D1 is absurd cash pricing.
flyerCO is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 17, 5:00 pm
  #47  
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Posts: 5,874
Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
They never promised a seat on every flight. Simply subject to availability. Plenty of non A350 D1 seats get upgraded in advance. I'm betting at least a few will clear at gate for A350, even if not every flight. At least till they figure out $1000 surcharge just for stepping on the plane in D1 is absurd cash pricing.
I didn't say they promised a seat would be available on every flight, but if something is advertised as being available but in reality isn't genuinely available then there could, I think, be potential complications. It would be interesting to know if they have stopped clearing upgrades in advance for the A350. There's no way of knowing.
hockeyinsider is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 17, 5:21 pm
  #48  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: East Coast
Programs: Delta and Hyatt
Posts: 372
I am wait listed for a GUC on NRT-DTW on the A350 in November. I had a similar experience to OP with the phone agent and had to escalate it to a supervisor. At first, even the supervisor insisted you cannot go from Main Cabin to D1 Suite. Finally after reading the terms of the certificate and breaking down the sentence structure, she moved forward with applying the certificate. It was frustrating, but I've been assured by the DL twitter the certificate is applied correctly.
Youngmiler is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 17, 6:29 pm
  #49  
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: ATL
Programs: SPG, DL
Posts: 267
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider View Post
I didn't say they promised a seat would be available on every flight, but if something is advertised as being available but in reality isn't genuinely available then there could, I think, be potential complications. It would be interesting to know if they have stopped clearing upgrades in advance for the A350. There's no way of knowing.
it doesn’t matter, at all, whether they are clearing upgrades 2 seconds, 2 minutes, 2 hours, 2 days, or 2 months in advance. If they are clearing ANY GUC upgrades into D1, then they aren’t in any legal risk.
ATLawyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 17, 6:34 pm
  #50  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Posts: 12,237
Originally Posted by SkyMilesTeam View Post
Hi everyone, wanted to clear up any confusion surrounding Delta One suite upgrades. Diamond Medallion Members can use one Global Upgrade Certificate to upgrade directly to a Delta One suite from any cabin of service offered on the flight – including Main Cabin (excluding Basic Economy).
You know that.

Now we know that.

But, why don't your phone agents know that?

Really...
StayingHomeIsBetter is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 17, 9:06 pm
  #51  
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Posts: 5,874
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter View Post
But, why don't your phone agents know that?
Or supervisors.
hockeyinsider is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 17, 11:25 pm
  #52  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: San Antonio
Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 14,368
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider View Post
Or supervisors.
I believe most agents are "supervisors."
flyerCO is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 17, 5:29 am
  #53  
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Floating around
Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Silver (1MM), Marriott LT Titanium
Posts: 7,938
Originally Posted by SkyMilesTeam View Post
Hi everyone, wanted to clear up any confusion surrounding Delta One suite upgrades. Diamond Medallion Members can use one Global Upgrade Certificate to upgrade directly to a Delta One suite from any cabin of service offered on the flight – including Main Cabin (excluding Basic Economy).
If this has already been confirmed by Delta, why hasn't the FT Moderator changed the thread of this title to include "{NOT TRUE}" or something like that in the thread? The thread title is now 100% misleading and wrong.

-RM
RobOnLI is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 17, 6:00 am
  #54  
Moderator: Travel with Pets
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Posts: 11,953
Originally Posted by RobOnLI View Post
If this has already been confirmed by Delta, why hasn't the FT Moderator changed the thread of this title to include "{NOT TRUE}" or something like that in the thread? The thread title is now 100% misleading and wrong.

-RM
Perhaps because the moderators are not paid employees that monitor and read every thread 24/7.

Also that is why we have the RBP tool and the thread's title has now been changed.

RSSrsvp - Moderator
Xeno, ijgordon, hnewman and 2 others like this.
RSSrsvp is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 17, 6:35 am
  #55  
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 150
Internal reminder sent out about this. Can be from any fare except Basic Economy, only one cert needed.
ijgordon likes this.
WidgetTravels is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 17, 6:38 am
  #56  
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Floating around
Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Silver (1MM), Marriott LT Titanium
Posts: 7,938
Originally Posted by RSSrsvp View Post
Perhaps because the moderators are not paid employees that monitor and read every thread 24/7.

Also that is why we have the RBP tool and the thread's title has now been changed.

RSSrsvp - Moderator
Thanks. I guess I'm used to the UA thread where thread titles are updated daily <g>

I have no idea what the RBP tool is. I'll research it.

-RM
RobOnLI is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 17, 7:09 am
  #57  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 77,730
Originally Posted by WidgetTravels View Post
Internal reminder sent out about this. Can be from any fare except Basic Economy, only one cert needed.
AFAIK one cert is needed to go directly from coach to D1 Suites, but if you first upgrade to Premium Economy (and if the ticket is reissued, I suppose) and then upgrade later (perhaps because upgrade inventory wasn't available earlier) from Premium Economy to D1 Suites, one GUC will be used at each stage, for each upgrade, so that a total of TWO GUCs per direction per passenger will be taken.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 17, 7:21 am
  #58  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: MSP
Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond
Posts: 495
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
AFAIK one cert is needed to go directly from coach to D1 Suites, but if you first upgrade to Premium Economy (and if the ticket is reissued, I suppose) and then upgrade later (perhaps because upgrade inventory wasn't available earlier) from Premium Economy to D1 Suites, one GUC will be used at each stage, for each upgrade, so that a total of TWO GUCs per direction per passenger will be taken.
I think we'll have to explicitly say "I only want an upgrade directly to D1, not PE".

I can see customers getting screwed out of 2 certs if they don't say this when booking.
bretthexum is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 17, 7:25 am
  #59  
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Posts: 5,874
I really hope each and every diamond is emailing or calling Delta to ask them to change their policy to allow you to upgrade into premium-economy with a global upgrade certificate and then waitlist for business-class, if it opens up. To not allow this is just silly, but Delta will only change the policy if enough of us complain.

Of course, it's obvious that Delta wants all of us to just buy a premium-economy ticket. I'll withhold judgment until someone actually flies it for 14 hours, but it's disappointing that the premium-economy seats are only one-half of an inch wider than an economy-class seat. It's also disappointing that Delta went with four seats in the middle section of premium-economy instead of three seats, which is the premium-economy configuration of many other airlines flying the A350. It could have at least separated the four middle seats into two pairs, giving some privacy.
hockeyinsider is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 17, 7:28 am
  #60  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: KATL
Programs: DL DM/1MM
Posts: 1,920
Originally Posted by RobOnLI View Post
Thanks. I guess I'm used to the UA thread where thread titles are updated daily <g>

I have no idea what the RBP tool is. I'll research it.

-RM
RBP means colloquially "Report Bad Post." Look for the red Alert button on the bottom left of any message. Click it to alert a mod about a thread or post.
18sas is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread