Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Platinum member and #13 on the upgrade list got a F seat

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Platinum member and #13 on the upgrade list got a F seat

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2017, 3:45 pm

Whoever had the seat must have put in an SDC or cancelled at the last minute. Maybe he was running late.

Boarding happening + upgrade eligible + seat available -> get seat.

Anyone who didn't check in, or missed connection, should have already been processed before the normal upgrade clearing.

For checked-in but no-show cases they wouldn't have released the seat until the last minute (in which case it probably goes to whichever non-rev was considering offering to ride in the luggage compartment ).
Old Sep 28, 2017, 9:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Maybe the GA needed his coach seat for some passenger with special needs?
Old Sep 28, 2017, 10:01 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by DiverDave
The GA mistook him for a Non-Rev?

David
Ohhhhhhh, boy!!!

BenA likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 10:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Maybe the GA needed his coach seat for some passenger with special needs?
I was in 15C and his original seat was in 15D. No special needs for the passenger in 15D that I could tell (he was young and fit).
Old Sep 29, 2017, 9:02 am

Programs: DL GM, UA Silver, Marriott Plat, National Exec
This is a recurring theme over the last few weeks. There’s clearly an IT issue with the UG list.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 9:37 am

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
I agree, it's most likely an IT issue with perfect timing. With that said, I'd definitely report. If enough people do, they will look into it. Report it so they fix it -- not asking for compensation.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 6:10 pm

Programs: DL PM. 1MM
I had a similar experience that happened to me last Saturday and I gladly accepted the upgrade gifts bestowed upon me.

Here is the story.

Booked a flight JFK-BBB on low mileage award. Flight oversold. I take a voucher and rerouted JFK-ATL-BBB few hours later.

On UG List JFK-ATL I was #3 of 20 on list. PM on award ticket so was surprised I was that high on list. Maybe I was rebooked in Y? Paper ticket said SW class. I was wondering maybe I was rebooked into W class rather than upgraded to Comfort?? Is SW paid comfort? I've never bought it always just been upgraded at booking.

It made me wonder Maybe paid W class does trump other main cabin fares on UG list? Or is there an underlying Y fare due to oversold rebooking and the SW is masking it? My new flight was also very full and agent had to call rev management to get me on the flight promised after VDB sitch.

Anyway upgrades are processed while I am #3 for 2 seats. And then boom I am upgraded to 1A. Wow? what? why? Then I noticed #2 was skipped over. Maybe they declined to sit with a companion who had a different last name? Or changed flights? Or computer glitch? Who knows but I will enjoy.

Is something happening with the upgrades? IT Glitch? Watch the upgrade lists boys and girls. Watch them closely. I know I sure will!!
Old Sep 30, 2017, 12:48 pm

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
Maybe there is a glitch

A few weeks ago, I had similar experience on 2 of 4 legs. I'm platinum and was showing something like 5th or 7th with one seat left. Of course I settled in and planned to suffer in Comfort. Was traveling with husband who is a lowly Silver.

On 2 of the flights, just before they began boarding, the GA called us up and said-we have one seat in F--do you want it? I took it.

After we boarded, he was called up to F on one of the legs,
Old Sep 30, 2017, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by lsugolfer
This is a recurring theme over the last few weeks. There’s clearly an IT issue with the UG list.
But, is it a bug, or a feature?

Instilling anxiety in the customer base WRT to reliability of UG processing is certainly one additional way to incentivize FCM purchases.

yohanson likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by apodo77
on 2448 ATL-PBI.

it spit his new seat out when we both boared during Sky boarding.

I am a diamond and was #6 on the list for 1 seat.

How in the heck could this happen?

FYI he is a colleague of mine and we are traveling together so I know his status.
Of course...you didn't take the time when you two boarded to question the GA about the discrepancy. You just decided to wait and complain on FT.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 5:11 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, Hyatt LT Globalist, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Has it been a while since he has had an upgrade?

As I recall DL management has said they have the ability to upgrade someone who hasn't had an upgrade in a while, and out of order from the upgrade list.
sdadept likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 5:22 pm

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Peatisback

As I recall DL management has said they have the ability to upgrade someone who hasn't had an upgrade in a while, and out of order from the upgrade list.
Recall from where??? I haven't seen that posted anywhere here!
yohanson likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 5:49 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by davetravels
Recall from where??? I haven't seen that posted anywhere here!
I have not heard this either but I would wholeheartedly agree with the logic (after going like 2/20 at one stretch earlier this year).
Old Sep 30, 2017, 5:55 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles KM, Sky Club/Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Peatisback

That is incorrect. It was probably just a slip-up on the GA's part...clicked the wrong name to clear into FC.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by bergamini
I have not heard this either but I would wholeheartedly agree with the logic (after going like 2/20 at one stretch earlier this year).
You agree that someone should be allowed to randomly choose someone to upgrade ahead of other people who are in a specific pecking order that's published and available on a list online for everyone to view - denying them a published earned benefit?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.