Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lost bags on interline -- who pays?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2017, 5:52 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by davetravels
Congrats!

Wouldn't'cha love to have had some sort of an external video device recording the whole time so you could see where your bag has been - - - WITHOUT YOU!!!

Exactly. I must confess that I expected my bag was in somewhere in Africa and I'd be receiving an email telling me I had to wire money to get it back.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 11:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnb...i-airport.html

funny story.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 3:31 am

I have a question. What if i was to fly from, lets say CDG-JFK (with AF) then to ATL with DL. At JFK i notice my bag is damaged before i recheck it, do i still need to report this to DL or would i go to AF (as they were the ones handling the bag during that leg)?
Old Sep 26, 2017, 5:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by fusionblue
I have a question. What if i was to fly from, lets say CDG-JFK (with AF) then to ATL with DL. At JFK i notice my bag is damaged before i recheck it, do i still need to report this to DL or would i go to AF (as they were the ones handling the bag during that leg)?
You always report at the final tagged destination. You can have them leave a note on your reservation if you wish. But filing the report must be done at final.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 6:08 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by flyerCO
You always report at the final tagged destination. You can have them leave a note on your reservation if you wish. But filing the report must be done at final.
Yes, that's correct but it can't hurt to contact the airline who actually lost or damaged your bag. I have two data points here.

First, in May, KLM misplaced my baggage and I went two days in Edinburgh with nothing. KLM was actually quite difficult to deal with. Finally, Delta intervened and reimbursed me for my out of pocket expenses.

Second, last week, Delta actually was bad. They were useless in providing me information on my baggage. Ethiopian responded to my email within a day, forwarded it to supervisors both at the airline's corporate HQ and at its Singapore and Kuala Lumpur stations. They actually told me precisely when my bag would arrive and via which flights whereas Delta never had any of this information even though they were the ones delivering the bags.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Yes, that's correct but it can't hurt to contact the airline who actually lost or damaged your bag. I have two data points here.

First, in May, KLM misplaced my baggage and I went two days in Edinburgh with nothing. KLM was actually quite difficult to deal with. Finally, Delta intervened and reimbursed me for my out of pocket expenses.

Second, last week, Delta actually was bad. They were useless in providing me information on my baggage. Ethiopian responded to my email within a day, forwarded it to supervisors both at the airline's corporate HQ and at its Singapore and Kuala Lumpur stations. They actually told me precisely when my bag would arrive and via which flights whereas Delta never had any of this information even though they were the ones delivering the bags.
DL handles all KLM cases for those in US. Thus your case would've been Handled by DL even though it was KLM paying in the end.

as for delivery on your case. Till the airline with the bags tells DL, DL has no way of knowing which flights the bags are on. This is no different then any other case with any OAL. It was Ethiopians fault for not updating the system, as they should've.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.