Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 12, 2017, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Bowgie
Note: This thread is about Mileage Upgrade Awards, which are Sky Miles upgrades that upgrade your coach seat to First Class, Delta One or Premium Select.

These are no longer available on domestic routes and have been replaced with using miles for FCM buy-ups at slightly over 1 cpm -- see the FCM thread
They are also no longer available from North America to Mexico, Caribbean, Central and South America.

Important Details:
BLANK SPACE
  • Your underlying fare class remains Economy, and you are technically still booked as an economy passenger.
  • You are granted all inflight & airport benefits of having that upgraded seat (i.e. Premium security line, Sky Club access on international flights, etc).
  • You earn miles based on your original Main Cabin fare.
  • Mileage Upgrade Award prices are set by route and do not fluctuate based on the cash price of the upgrade.
  • Delta no longer publishes the miles required by route to upgrade, and the numbers below is a FT best attempt to collect this data; it may not be accurate.
  • Mileage Upgrade Awards are confirmed after your coach ticket is booked (though could be in the same phone call with an agent who has checked for upgrade space before booking)
  • The only way to use Mileage Upgrade Awards is by calling Delta--there is no online option.
  • This Wiki contains only minimal information about upgrading to and from Premium Select; please share information as you gather it, either by updating the wiki or posting in the thread.
  • You must be booked in an upgradeable fare class to upgrade. It is possible to buy up to an upgradeable coach fare class and then upgrade with miles.

How to Upgrade with Delta Sky Miles
  • You can Either:
    • Call Delta and ask to book a flight that has Mileage Upgrade Awards available and then purchase and upgrade the flight at the same time with that agent. Inventory is highly limited.
    • OR, call Delta to upgrade a flight you have already booked. When you call they will either process the upgrade or tell you that there are no upgrades available.
      • If an upgrade is not available, it is possible to waitlist.
        • Mileage Upgrade Awards that are waitlisted do not transfer to the Airport Upgrade List (for gate upgrade) and cannot be cleared at the gate.
        • There have been rare exceptions reported to this rule. If you want to attempt to clear your upgrade at the airport on day of departure, speak with a red coat. This is against policy and will not usually work, but some have reported success.
  • If you want to upgrade a flight that you have already booked the change fee should be waived for this upgrade. Ask for a supervisor if this is challenged.
  • The Delta agent may offer you either Delta Upgrade Awards or Upgrade with Miles (see details below). Confirm you are getting the lowest mile option.
BLANK SPACE
BLANK SPACE
BLANK SPACE
NOTE: Delta offers an additional upgrade option which is called Upgrade with Miles. These upgrades are available on US Domestic flights only and are a pay with miles type of upgrade. (meaning that, unlike Mileage Upgrade Awards, the amount of miles needed fluctuates based on the cash price of an upgrade). When you use Upgrade with Miles you will earn miles for your flight based on the cabin flown, as you have now paid (with miles) to change your ticket to a premium cabin ticket (vs an upgraded coach ticket). The mileage amounts listed in this thread are not for this program. To use Upgrade with Miles you need to log into your reservation and check for an upgrade offer or call Delta and ask. Upgrade with Miles typically requires more miles to upgrade than Mileage Upgrade Awards.
In order to use Mileage Upgrade Awards from Main Cabin or Comfort+ to First Class or Delta One, you need to be booked in the correct fare class:
  • Mileage Upgrade Awards are no longer available for flights within North America and South America. These routes generally have variable online mileage upgrade offers which are based on the cash upgrade offer at the rate of 1 CPM (less 7.5% US excise tax for domestic flights).
  • For all other markets you can upgrade when booked in: Y/B/M//H/Q/K
    • You can see your booking class by logging into your reservation. Directly under your seat assignment it will say your cabin and your booking class. For example: MAIN CABIN (Q)
The wiki needs to be updated to include information about upgrading to and from Delta Premium Select.

Prices for the following markets as quoted by multiple reservations agents.

Other thread of potential interest:

Current Pricing (may be out of date, updates appreciated)

international main cabin to PS
Y/B/M: 25,000
H/Q/K: 35,000

US to Europe
Main Cabin (fare class Y, B, M) to Delta One - requires OY - 35,000 miles
Main Cabin (fare class H, Q, K) to Delta One - requires OY - 65,000 miles
Premium Select (fare class P, A, G) to Delta One - requires OY - 45,000 miles

US to South Asia/Oceania
Main Cabin (fare class Y, B, M) to Delta One - requires OY - 45,000 miles
Main Cabin (fare class H, Q, K) to Delta One - requires OY - 90,000 miles
Premium Select (fare class P, A, G) to Delta One - requires OY - 45,000 miles

LAX-SYD
PS (A) to D1: 17,500 miles

Historical pricing

(for curiosity/comparison, this section is a mix of really old and not so old pricing so may not make a lot of sense)

US/Canada/Mexico/Caribbean First Class (Most North America routes except for flights that offer Delta One)
Y/B/M: 15,000 miles
H/Q/K: 20,000 miles
L/U/T: 30,000 miles

Domestic Delta One Routes (domestic transcon & Hawaii routes that offer Delta One service such as JFK-LAX, LAX-DCA, ATL-HNL, etc)
Y/B/M: 23,000 miles
H/Q/K: 28,000 miles
L/U/T: 40,000 miles

NOTE: It *might* be possible to upgrade domestic segments of a PS fare (G A P) ticket to either FC or domestic D1 (unclear which) for 17,500 miles. *Unconfirmed*

US-Hawaii (Except for Delta One routes MSP/ATL/JFK/DTW-HNL. For these routes, see Domestic Transcontinental Premium Routes )
Y/B/M: 15,000 miles
H/Q/K: 20,000 miles
L/U/T: 30,000 miles

US-Northern South America
Y/B/M: 30,000 miles
H/Q/K: 45,000 miles
L/U/T: 55,000 miles

US-Southern South America
Y/B/M: 40,000 miles
H/Q/K: 60,000 miles

US-Europe:
Main Cabin to Delta One:
Y/B/M: 35,000 miles
H/Q/K: 65,000 miles

Main Cabin to Premium Select:
Y/B/M: 25,000 miles
H/Q/K: 35,000 miles

Premium Select to Delta One:
P/A/G: 40,000 miles
(NOTE: Confirmed on Aug 28, 2022 at this rate from JFK-AMS. Confirms books into OY class)

US-Northern Asia (Japan/Korea/China):
Main Cabin to Delta One:
Y/B/M: 45,000 miles
H/Q/K: 70,000 miles

Premium Select to Delta One
P/A/G: 45,000 miles

US-Southeast/Southwest Asia, Micronesia, Southwest Pacific:
H/Q/K: 80,000 miles

US-Africa (incl. South Africa)

US-Middle East

US to TLV:
Main Cabin to Delta One:
Y/B/M: 45,000 miles
H/Q/K: 90,000 miles

Main Cabin to Premium Select:
Y/B/M: 25,000 miles
H/Q/K: 40,000 miles

Print Wikipost

Delta Mileage Upgrade Awards

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2023, 8:56 pm

Programs: DL DM 1MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, UA PS, VX, Natl EE, Hertz PC
A positive MUA experience to add to the thread: I booked a business trip from SEA-LHR via concur in PS two weeks ago. After thinking I might bite the bullet and pay the FCM for the outbound, I resorted to some MUA research when the upgrade offer for D1 was $3600 each way.

After some planning I had identified a few TATL segments that had Z availability and figured I’d call to see if any had OY. The first agent I got immediately quoted me the FCM offer and when I clarified I was looking for an upgrade into OY for somewhere in the range of 40k miles, she put me on hold and the call disconnected 45 min later. I called again and the hold time 35 minutes, so I tried chat. The chat agent promptly told me they had checked all TATL flights on my travel date and there was no availability (this took them about 60 seconds so consider me skeptical).

My third attempt I was also placed on hold but the agent came back and confirmed there was no space to LHR from any hub, or on any other TATL out of SEA. He offered to put me on the waitlist, and I was skeptical but figured I had nothing to lose. (He also told me my MUA would go to the gate, which I was pretty sure was false and have since confirmed is not the case).

Today I logged in and saw GUC space available on my flight, so flipped over to my itinerary and sure enough my class of service is now marked as D1. Selected a seat and we’re good to go!

The MUA is alive and well!
dtwtransport and EZEDoesIt like this.
Old Aug 4, 2023, 12:55 am

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Originally Posted by xliioper
Note that unless your original booked fare class is high enough (Main K or higher, C+ with underlying K or higher, or a PS fare), you won't be eligible for an MUA anyway. Also, these need to be booked as revenue fares and upgrading to PS via online seat upgrade offers (which doesn't result in a refare) won't qualify one for an MUA. If you originally booked something like a V fare on MSP-HND, upfare amount to a K fare would be around $900 in each direction. If you booked LAX-HND as standalone ticket, upfare to K would be more modest. But if it is part of MSP-HND ticket, you can't upfare individual segments (as all segments in each direction are on a single fare component).
Once I reminded the agent who told me that MUAs don’t exist that we were flying on a B fare, she remembered what they were! You make a good point— we found nicely priced one way HND-ATL-MSP-FAR tickets in B class, so they should be upgradable but August 11 is a huge holiday in Japan and every single flight is sold out in Y, so not optimistic! I’ll update with any good news.
Old Aug 4, 2023, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kyushuman
Once I reminded the agent who told me that MUAs don’t exist that we were flying on a B fare, she remembered what they were! You make a good point— we found nicely priced one way HND-ATL-MSP-FAR tickets in B class, so they should be upgradable but August 11 is a huge holiday in Japan and every single flight is sold out in Y, so not optimistic! I’ll update with any good news.
Ah, B fares should be a modest mileage amount since they are in the higher tier of Main fares (YBM) for MUAs.
Old Aug 5, 2023, 10:44 pm

I may not be a particularly frequent flier, but from what I’ve been reading and seeing that for most uses SkyMiles are around 1¢/mile equivalent, it seems surprising to me that MUAs are a thing at the rates they are - $450 for an upgrade (PS->D1) seems like really great value.
Old Aug 7, 2023, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Called today to find out if a couple of upcoming flights had MUA availability. Was told they don't release this information anymore until you have a confirmation number and booked flight

Which of course would defeat the whole purpose -- don't feel like going through that whole rigamarole. Will try again tomorrow and see if I have better luck, if not I'll just book elsewhere
Old Aug 7, 2023, 7:09 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Duke787
Called today to find out if a couple of upcoming flights had MUA availability. Was told they don't release this information anymore until you have a confirmation number and booked flight

Which of course would defeat the whole purpose -- don't feel like going through that whole rigamarole. Will try again tomorrow and see if I have better luck, if not I'll just book elsewhere
Thats not true just a uninformed agent. MUA pull from OY inventory which is easily searchable (maybe the amount of miles required aren’t viewable without a confirmed reservation). If you are a PM or higher, OY inventory can be found online for D1 if the website says Global Upgrade Certificate space is available.
dailycavalier likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2023, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
Thats not true just a uninformed agent. MUA pull from OY inventory which is easily searchable (maybe the amount of miles required aren’t viewable without a confirmed reservation). If you are a PM or higher, OY inventory can be found online for D1 if the website says Global Upgrade Certificate space is available.
Yeah I'll call back again. It looks like for the day in question there is GUC space available via JFK or CDG but not via ATL.

Maybe I'll just book and then call back in and cancel
Old Aug 8, 2023, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
Global Upgrade Certs only require revenue Z inventory these days for upgrades (at least from PS). Not sure if the indicator is just showing based on Z (like RUCs) or OY. I checked a number of DTW-CDG flights and it always showing Upgrade Available to D1 when there was Z open, and to PS when there was only I or higher inventory. Unless OY highly correlates with Z, I suspect website is just showing D1 as available when there is Z open.
Utskicat likes this.

Last edited by xliioper; Aug 9, 2023 at 6:07 am
Old Aug 8, 2023, 10:12 pm

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
One more data point - snagged a cheap G fare BOS-MSP-ICN and called in to check for MUA availability, agent knew straightaway what I was trying to do but unfortunately there was no OY space available (despite flight being Z4) so was waitlisted instead. (Waitlist also appears to have been applied correctly based on how the booking now looks.) Entire process took ~5 minutes and was surprisingly painless, but I guess I got lucky with an experienced agent
Old Aug 8, 2023, 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by truncated
(Waitlist also appears to have been applied correctly based on how the booking now looks.) Entire process took ~5 minutes and was surprisingly painless, but I guess I got lucky with an experienced agent
How does the booking look? In the app and on PNR.sh there’s absolutely no indication that anything’s going on with my booking, the only thing is that if I try to search for change options I get a message that it can’t be changed online because (among a couple other bullet points) I may have requested an upgrade which requires a certificate/miles. Every time I’ve called in, though, I’ve been told that they do see the waitlist.
Old Aug 9, 2023, 7:44 am

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
Originally Posted by michab
How does the booking look? In the app and on PNR.sh there’s absolutely no indication that anything’s going on with my booking, the only thing is that if I try to search for change options I get a message that it can’t be changed online because (among a couple other bullet points) I may have requested an upgrade which requires a certificate/miles. Every time I’ve called in, though, I’ve been told that they do see the waitlist.
Ah you need to check on the website (and hopefully you get the old manage trips screen and not the new one) - the flight should show the upgrade is waitlisted and there's a duplicate segment when you look at the seat map:

Old Aug 9, 2023, 10:15 am

Aha! I do indeed see exactly those two things (and when exiting back out of the seat map I ended up on the mobile-responsive view - presumably that’s what you mean by the new one). Good to know that things are as they should be, though I was fairly confident it was there since pretty much every time I’ve called in to check the status I’ve been told “ah, yeah, I see that here”. Though a couple times I was told that it was cleared/confirmed when it wasn’t, presumably by reps not familiar with MUAs, so I’m curious what it looks like on the backend that would cause multiple people to make the same mistake.

Looks like the seatmap is holding steady at 7 seats open, so here’s hoping it goes through and I get to do something useful with those old miles. Back when I accrued them it’s possible I could’ve had enough for a ticket, but I suspect that ship has sailed. Still, even with the baseline being a ~$2k PS round-trip, the equivalent of $450 for business seems like a great deal. I just hope if it clears it happens with an even window still open, and with enough time to not jeopardize my KSML request.
Old Aug 9, 2023, 6:33 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
I have flights booked MSP-ATL-MAN and return AMS-MSP with the outbound next week in Premium on VS and return in mid-September in Premium Comfort on KLM, both G fares. I’ve been calling periodically (about four times since I booked) to check on MUA availability, to no avail until today. Today I reached an agent who acknowledged that she didn’t know anything about MUAs but looked up the information when I told her about it and then said that she would check availability. After a few minutes on hold she returned to say that there was availability on the VS flight (the one that matters most, of course, since it’s overnight) for 25K SkyMiles but not at this time on the KL flight. I was expecting to pay 45K for the upgrade and will reserve my jubilation at that price until the miles are pulled from my account. But my jubilation at the upgrade is justified as my reservation changed immediately to show me in Upper Class on VS and I was able to select my seat. I also received an email from DL confirming the change.

Kudos to the agent, who listened to me, did her homework immediately, and secured the MUA.

Last edited by CarmenOM; Aug 9, 2023 at 6:46 pm
Old Aug 9, 2023, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Pretty sure MUAs on VS metal book into G (VS award class) and Z on KL metal (KL revenue bucket). You should be able to check availability yourself without calling an agent. Searching for award in Upper Class on VS website will show if there is G open and searching for revenue flights on KL website will show if there is Z open or not. Although if flight is too close-in, there may be KL Z open with no Z seats for sale due to advance purchase requirements on Z fares. This is where having an ExpertFlyer account comes in handy. The downside with VS upgrades is that you won't get mileage credit for the flight due to VS G being an award class and will have to submit a mileage request after the fact.
Old Aug 9, 2023, 7:06 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Originally Posted by xliioper
Pretty sure MUAs on VS metal book into G (VS award class) and Z on KL metal (KL revenue bucket). You should be able to check availability yourself without calling an agent. Searching for award in Upper Class on VS website will show if there is G open and searching for revenue flights on KL website will show if there is Z open or not. Although if flight is too close-in, there may be KL Z open with no Z seats for sale due to advance purchase requirements on Z fares. This is where having an ExpertFlyer account comes in handy. The downside with VS upgrades is that you won't get mileage credit for the flight due to VS G being an award class and will have to submit a mileage request after the fact.
I remember that VS mileage credit problem from several years ago. I had hoped they’d fixed it by now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.