Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 12, 2017, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Bowgie
Note: This thread is about Mileage Upgrade Awards, which are Sky Miles upgrades that upgrade your coach seat to First Class, Delta One or Premium Select.

These are no longer available on domestic routes and have been replaced with using miles for FCM buy-ups at slightly over 1 cpm -- see the FCM thread
They are also no longer available from North America to Mexico, Caribbean, Central and South America.

Important Details:
BLANK SPACE
  • Your underlying fare class remains Economy, and you are technically still booked as an economy passenger.
  • You are granted all inflight & airport benefits of having that upgraded seat (i.e. Premium security line, Sky Club access on international flights, etc).
  • You earn miles based on your original Main Cabin fare.
  • Mileage Upgrade Award prices are set by route and do not fluctuate based on the cash price of the upgrade.
  • Delta no longer publishes the miles required by route to upgrade, and the numbers below is a FT best attempt to collect this data; it may not be accurate.
  • Mileage Upgrade Awards are confirmed after your coach ticket is booked (though could be in the same phone call with an agent who has checked for upgrade space before booking)
  • The only way to use Mileage Upgrade Awards is by calling Delta--there is no online option.
  • This Wiki contains only minimal information about upgrading to and from Premium Select; please share information as you gather it, either by updating the wiki or posting in the thread.
  • You must be booked in an upgradeable fare class to upgrade. It is possible to buy up to an upgradeable coach fare class and then upgrade with miles.

How to Upgrade with Delta Sky Miles
  • You can Either:
    • Call Delta and ask to book a flight that has Mileage Upgrade Awards available and then purchase and upgrade the flight at the same time with that agent. Inventory is highly limited.
    • OR, call Delta to upgrade a flight you have already booked. When you call they will either process the upgrade or tell you that there are no upgrades available.
      • If an upgrade is not available, it is possible to waitlist.
        • Mileage Upgrade Awards that are waitlisted do not transfer to the Airport Upgrade List (for gate upgrade) and cannot be cleared at the gate.
        • There have been rare exceptions reported to this rule. If you want to attempt to clear your upgrade at the airport on day of departure, speak with a red coat. This is against policy and will not usually work, but some have reported success.
  • If you want to upgrade a flight that you have already booked the change fee should be waived for this upgrade. Ask for a supervisor if this is challenged.
  • The Delta agent may offer you either Delta Upgrade Awards or Upgrade with Miles (see details below). Confirm you are getting the lowest mile option.
BLANK SPACE
BLANK SPACE
BLANK SPACE
NOTE: Delta offers an additional upgrade option which is called Upgrade with Miles. These upgrades are available on US Domestic flights only and are a pay with miles type of upgrade. (meaning that, unlike Mileage Upgrade Awards, the amount of miles needed fluctuates based on the cash price of an upgrade). When you use Upgrade with Miles you will earn miles for your flight based on the cabin flown, as you have now paid (with miles) to change your ticket to a premium cabin ticket (vs an upgraded coach ticket). The mileage amounts listed in this thread are not for this program. To use Upgrade with Miles you need to log into your reservation and check for an upgrade offer or call Delta and ask. Upgrade with Miles typically requires more miles to upgrade than Mileage Upgrade Awards.
In order to use Mileage Upgrade Awards from Main Cabin or Comfort+ to First Class or Delta One, you need to be booked in the correct fare class:
  • Mileage Upgrade Awards are no longer available for flights within North America and South America. These routes generally have variable online mileage upgrade offers which are based on the cash upgrade offer at the rate of 1 CPM (less 7.5% US excise tax for domestic flights).
  • For all other markets you can upgrade when booked in: Y/B/M//H/Q/K
    • You can see your booking class by logging into your reservation. Directly under your seat assignment it will say your cabin and your booking class. For example: MAIN CABIN (Q)
The wiki needs to be updated to include information about upgrading to and from Delta Premium Select.

Prices for the following markets as quoted by multiple reservations agents.

Other thread of potential interest:

Current Pricing (may be out of date, updates appreciated)

international main cabin to PS
Y/B/M: 25,000
H/Q/K: 35,000

US to Europe
Main Cabin (fare class Y, B, M) to Delta One - requires OY - 35,000 miles
Main Cabin (fare class H, Q, K) to Delta One - requires OY - 65,000 miles
Premium Select (fare class P, A, G) to Delta One - requires OY - 45,000 miles

US to South Asia/Oceania
Main Cabin (fare class Y, B, M) to Delta One - requires OY - 45,000 miles
Main Cabin (fare class H, Q, K) to Delta One - requires OY - 90,000 miles
Premium Select (fare class P, A, G) to Delta One - requires OY - 45,000 miles

LAX-SYD
PS (A) to D1: 17,500 miles

Historical pricing

(for curiosity/comparison, this section is a mix of really old and not so old pricing so may not make a lot of sense)

US/Canada/Mexico/Caribbean First Class (Most North America routes except for flights that offer Delta One)
Y/B/M: 15,000 miles
H/Q/K: 20,000 miles
L/U/T: 30,000 miles

Domestic Delta One Routes (domestic transcon & Hawaii routes that offer Delta One service such as JFK-LAX, LAX-DCA, ATL-HNL, etc)
Y/B/M: 23,000 miles
H/Q/K: 28,000 miles
L/U/T: 40,000 miles

NOTE: It *might* be possible to upgrade domestic segments of a PS fare (G A P) ticket to either FC or domestic D1 (unclear which) for 17,500 miles. *Unconfirmed*

US-Hawaii (Except for Delta One routes MSP/ATL/JFK/DTW-HNL. For these routes, see Domestic Transcontinental Premium Routes )
Y/B/M: 15,000 miles
H/Q/K: 20,000 miles
L/U/T: 30,000 miles

US-Northern South America
Y/B/M: 30,000 miles
H/Q/K: 45,000 miles
L/U/T: 55,000 miles

US-Southern South America
Y/B/M: 40,000 miles
H/Q/K: 60,000 miles

US-Europe:
Main Cabin to Delta One:
Y/B/M: 35,000 miles
H/Q/K: 65,000 miles

Main Cabin to Premium Select:
Y/B/M: 25,000 miles
H/Q/K: 35,000 miles

Premium Select to Delta One:
P/A/G: 40,000 miles
(NOTE: Confirmed on Aug 28, 2022 at this rate from JFK-AMS. Confirms books into OY class)

US-Northern Asia (Japan/Korea/China):
Main Cabin to Delta One:
Y/B/M: 45,000 miles
H/Q/K: 70,000 miles

Premium Select to Delta One
P/A/G: 45,000 miles

US-Southeast/Southwest Asia, Micronesia, Southwest Pacific:
H/Q/K: 80,000 miles

US-Africa (incl. South Africa)

US-Middle East

US to TLV:
Main Cabin to Delta One:
Y/B/M: 45,000 miles
H/Q/K: 90,000 miles

Main Cabin to Premium Select:
Y/B/M: 25,000 miles
H/Q/K: 40,000 miles

Print Wikipost

Delta Mileage Upgrade Awards

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2019, 11:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by dcadwell
Its funny - I was told multiple times that "there is no wait list" for mileage upgrades.

Doesn't matter as I eventually scored it, anyway, but...
It's apparently the same waitlist as for GUC upgrades into D1, although officially only GUCs can be used for upgrades at the gate.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 12:51 pm

Programs: DL DM, EBS
Data point:
SVG-AMS-MSP-PDX on a B fare, tweeted @Delta to check for Mileage Upgrade Award availability, confirmed availability and was quoted 35 000 miles to upgrade to D1. Easy and quick processing. Upgraded into OY, about 10 seats available when I asked about upgrade availability.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 2:29 pm

Delta twitter found availability for my next week's SEA-NRT to D1 from PS. Rate was 45k miles. I have a connection to NRT-TPE on China Airlines in Econ, should that have been upgraded with it as well?? I bought the entire SEA-NRT-TPE ticket from Delta.

The PS fare at the time was only $300 roundtrip more than econ, so I took it as a no brainer. Had it been in Econ completely, I wouldn't even qualify with L fare. Return had no availability but I think first row PS is pretty decent for a 9 hour flight.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 2:49 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by cpmp
Delta twitter found availability for my next week's SEA-NRT to D1 from PS. Rate was 45k miles. I have a connection to NRT-TPE on China Airlines in Econ, should that have been upgraded with it as well?? I bought the entire SEA-NRT-TPE ticket from Delta.

The PS fare at the time was only $300 roundtrip more than econ, so I took it as a no brainer. Had it been in Econ completely, I wouldn't even qualify with L fare. Return had no availability but I think first row PS is pretty decent for a 9 hour flight.
No. Only the individual leg is upgraded.
cpmp likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 6:14 pm

Is this a new policy? I used to see upgrade for $xxx or xxx miles when I log into app prior to pending trips. Will this no longer happen?
Old Dec 19, 2019, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Of course a lot depends on the day of the week, but I've been doing well with upgrades from PS to D1 on the MSP-HND and vv flights. To me, it seems much easier than on the old MSP-NRT and vv route, even when there were two flights a day.
Just waitlisted for MSP-HND PS-D1 upgrade. 70+ days to departure but a Tuesday flight so fingers crossed. Will post in here if it works.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 8:56 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Waitlisted D1 upgrade LAX-SYD on a Premium Select (A) fare 43 days out. Price was 17,500 miles. Wish I knew about this when I booked a week + ago.

Fingers crossed, but not holding my breath.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 9:12 pm

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by anc-ord772
Waitlisted D1 upgrade LAX-SYD on a Premium Select (A) fare 43 days out. Price was 17,500 miles. Wish I knew about this when I booked a week + ago.

17.5k miles is almost certainly the wrong price for W => J... they quoted you 17.5k miles for a one-way upgrade to Delta One?
Old Dec 22, 2019, 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by dlflyer00
17.5k miles is almost certainly the wrong price for W => J... they quoted you 17.5k miles for a one-way upgrade to Delta One?
Hmm... well, its one way res LAX-SYD.

"Everything has been waitlisted on the reservation. If and when the waitlist clears, the miles will be deducated [sic] and ticket reissued. The big thing is to leave 17,500 miles in your account in case it clears."
Old Dec 22, 2019, 9:40 pm

Hmm... well, its one way res LAX-SYD.

"Everything has been waitlisted on the reservation. If and when the waitlist clears, the miles will be deducated [sic] and ticket reissued. The big thing is to leave 17,500 miles in your account in case it clears."
I would call/tweet again, and make sure the agent did everything right... Even on Asia routes, which are presumably lower volume than SYD, the amount is 45k to go from P/A/G to OY (D1). I would be very surprised if it was that much cheaper!
Old Dec 22, 2019, 9:43 pm

I would call/tweet again, and make sure the agent did everything right... Even on Asia routes, which are presumably lower volume than SYD, the amount is 45k to go from P/A/G to OY (D1). I would be very surprised if it was that much cheaper!
I'll follow up. If I mention OY they will know?
Old Dec 22, 2019, 9:50 pm

I'll follow up. If I mention OY they will know?
Ehh I don’t think it really matters, OY is the actual booking class but would probably make it confusing, it’s just Delta One/business class. Curious to see where the 17.5k number came from, if they know!
Old Dec 22, 2019, 10:36 pm

Ehh I don’t think it really matters, OY is the actual booking class but would probably make it confusing, it’s just Delta One/business class. Curious to see where the 17.5k number came from, if they know!
I don’t know. Asked again and different initials confirmed 17.5k and my upgrade (waitlist) looks properly processed.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 10:43 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle

Do you know what was the underlying coach fare for this ticket?. If it was a high fare bucket, then this offer seems about right.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
Do you know what was the underlying coach fare for this ticket?. If it was a high fare bucket, then this offer seems about right.
Except in rare circumstances for up-sell fares, PS does not have a dual inventory check like C+ (and I don’t even know if the up-sell fares have such a dual inventory check, just that their fare basis is weird).

Edit: looks like sometimes they do, although I doubt it factors in here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.