Old Sep 5, 2017, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyerWx
Hurricane Irma Travel Advisories for Delta:

Delta Travel Advisory Hurricane Irma

Updated as of 28 Sep 2017, 12:45pm EDT:

Affected Cities & Dates

Key West, FL (EYW)

Travel Dates: September 20- October 12, 2017 (New travel must originate on or before October 15, 2017)
---

Turks and Caicos, TC (PLS)

Travel Dates: September 5- October 31, 2017 (New travel must originate on or before October 31, 2018 )
---

San Juan, PR (SJU)
St. Thomas, VI (STT)
St. Maarten, SX (SXM)

Travel Dates: September 5, 2017 - April 2, 2018 (New travel must originate on or before September 27, 2018 )
---

Albany, GA (ABY)
Atlanta, GA (ATL)
Augusta, GA (AGS)
Birmingham, AL (BHM)
Brunswick, GA (BQK)
Charleston, SC (CHS)
Columbus, GA (CSG)
Daytona Beach, FL (DAB)
Dothan, AL (DHN)
Fort Lauderdale/Hollywood, FL (FLL)
Fort Myers, FL (RSW)
Fort Walton Beach, FL (VPS)
Freeport, BS (FPO)
Gainesville, FL (GNV)
Georgetown, BS (GGT)
Havana, CU (HAV)
Huntsville, AL (HSV)
Jacksonville, FL (JAX)
Key West, FL (EYW)
Marsh Harbour, BS (MHH)
Melbourne, FL (MLB)
Miami, FL (MIA)
Mobile, AL (MOB)
Montgomery, AL (MGM)
Nassau, BS (NAS)
Orlando, FL (MCO)
Panama City, FL (ECP)
Pensacola, FL (PNS)
Punta Cana, DO (PUJ)
Sarasota/Bradenton, FL (SRQ)
Savannah, GA (SAV)
Santiago, DO (STI)
St. Croix, VI (STX)
Tallahassee, FL (TLH)
Tampa/St. Pete/Clearwater, FL (TPA)
Valdosta, GA (VLD)
West Palm Beach, FL (PBI)

Travel Dates: September 6-20, 2017 (rebooked travel must begin by September 30th)
---

TEMPORARY BAGGAGE AND PET IN CABIN FEE WAIVER
Delta has put a temporary policy in place to waive all baggage and pet-in-cabin fees for customers traveling to or from the following cities:
Brunswick, GA (BQK)
Charleston, SC (CHS)
Daytona Beach, FL (DAB)
Destin-Ft Walton Beach, FL (VPS)
Fort Lauderdale, FL (FLL)
Fort Myers, FL (RSW)
Freeport, BS (FPO)
Gainesville, FL (GNV)
Georgetown, BS (GGT)
Havana, CU (HAV)
Jacksonville, FL (JAX)
Key West, FL (EYW)
Marsh Harbour, BS (MHH)
Melbourne, FL (MLB)
Miami, FL (MIA)
Nassau, BS (NAS)
Orlando, FL (MCO)
Panama City, FL (ECP)
Pensacola, FL (PNS)
Punta Cana, DO (PUJ)
San Juan, PR (SJU)
Santiago, DO (STI)
Sarasota/Bradenton, FL (SRQ)
Savannah, GA (SAV)
St. Croix, VI (STX)
St. Maarten, SX (SXM)
St. Thomas, VI (STT)
Tallahassee, FL (TLH)
Tampa, FL (TPA)
Turk Caicos ISLS, TC (PLS)
West Palm Beach, FL (PBI)

When you check in at the airport, Delta will waive all baggage fees and pet-in-cabin fees for customers traveling to or from the above cities now through September 15, 2017. There will be limitations to the amount of baggage that an aircraft can carry, and some or all of your luggage may not be able to be accommodated on your flight. In that event, please ask the Airport Customer Service representative if baggage that cannot be placed on your flight can be accommodated on a later flight. Pets traveling in the cabin must be properly contained in accordance with carry on policy.
Print Wikipost

Hurricane Irma Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2017, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by RumPatrol
Intentional or not doesn't change what it is. The price of a ticket is confirmed multiple times during the booking process, to complete that process within a matter of 10 seconds, click the purchase button and get that message is suspicious at best. Of course all the tickets departing on Saturday when they know damn well no flights will be leaving are normal priced.

That certain flights are only available when booked going elsewhere is also suspicious. A direct flight FLL-ATL shows as unavailable, a reservation from FLL to LNK through ATL was bookable (and I did it just to have something booked).

To me gouging would be charging far more than the standard price for something that doesn't change in price depending on availability. Target charges $5 for a case of water whether they have 5 or 500 cases on hand, if in a disaster situation Target is now charging $50 for the same water, that is gouging.

Airline tickets have always gone up in price as the flight sells out (there are obviously individual flight exceptions, but generally this is the case) This is a rare case where a huge spike in demand rapidly accelerates the normal process. This same thing happened a few year ago when there was the Amtrak crash. the sudden spike in demand leads to a sudden spike in price.

Now if two weeks ago DL was selling full Y/F fares for $1000/$2000 for MIA-XXX, and now the full Y/F fares are $3000/$6000 you have a case. Otherwise it's just the normal process that got overwhelmed by the situation.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 8:55 am

Oversold situations

Any insight into whether the flights from South Florida to NYC will be oversold over the next couple days? Or are the airlines typically more careful about overselling flights in these scenarios? I wouldn't mind scoring a voucher for my Thursday evening flight from FLL to JFK.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 9:27 am

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Okay, count me in as paranoid that I may miss my last trip on a 747.

On Sept 13, I am ticketed for OKC-ATL-DTW-PVG. If I move to OKC-DTW direct that would involve 7 hour layover at DTW. Going through MSP forces me on to an RJ7 with 2 hour layovers in both MSP and DTW.

My primary concern is this is a GUC ticket that had some unusual changes and I may lose some gains unless DL issues a weather release.

Where are the best projection maps relative to the impact of Irma on ATL?
Old Sep 6, 2017, 9:46 am

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
This flight operating surprised me.

Old Sep 6, 2017, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kop84
To me gouging would be charging far more than the standard price for something that doesn't change in price depending on availability. Target charges $5 for a case of water whether they have 5 or 500 cases on hand, if in a disaster situation Target is now charging $50 for the same water, that is gouging.

Airline tickets have always gone up in price as the flight sells out (there are obviously individual flight exceptions, but generally this is the case) This is a rare case where a huge spike in demand rapidly accelerates the normal process. This same thing happened a few year ago when there was the Amtrak crash. the sudden spike in demand leads to a sudden spike in price.

Now if two weeks ago DL was selling full Y/F fares for $1000/$2000 for MIA-XXX, and now the full Y/F fares are $3000/$6000 you have a case. Otherwise it's just the normal process that got overwhelmed by the situation.
I agree with you, but try to explain this to ordinary folks who just hate the airlines anyway. Believe me, most people have no clue about how dynamic airline pricing works.

If there was any "gouging," it would be in delaying the travel waiver for existing reservations while seats were selling out like hotcakes. But even that seems dubious to me -- especially since this waiver was issued very far in advance.

Meanwhile, the latest track puts the storm over Miami and right up the east coast of Florida. But that forecast is now moving wildly as the models are going crazy, and the NHC admits they could still be 200 miles off. There's a real chance the storm might miss Florida entirely. Fingers crossed.

EDIT: Check out the "spaghetti" models for Irma. The damage could be in Charleston or Savannah.

https://www.cyclocane.com/irma-spaghetti-models/
Old Sep 6, 2017, 10:01 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ty97
This flight operating surprised me.

https://twitter.com/thatbillokeefe/s...44349324001280
Looks like it arrived. I bet they are hoping for a quick turn, or else it might be stuck there for a while.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 10:08 am

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Hopefully not, but some projections still show the storm as heading N x NW after turning up the coast, kind of between SC and GA.

This could bring plenty of storms to ATL late Mon or Tue.

Obviously nothing remotely comparable to the coastal impact, but could be serious delays through the hub.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 10:13 am

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by TTT
Looks like it arrived. I bet they are hoping for a quick turn, or else it might be stuck there for a while.
Yeah, it's scheduled for a quick turn. Hopefully doesn't go tech and it should be fine.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 10:14 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by exwannabe
Hopefully not, but some projections still show the storm as heading N x NW after turning up the coast, kind of between SC and GA.

This could bring plenty of storms to ATL late Mon or Tue.

Obviously nothing remotely comparable to the coastal impact, but could be serious delays through the hub.
I have been wondering about that as well. Most all of the predicted tracks would mean some strong winds/storms in Atlanta early next week. I imagine ATL will be added to a weather waiver at some point, though maybe not until the weekend.

I have a meeting scheduled for Atlanta beginning Monday evening. Many of our participants are coming from Florida so there is discussion of cancelling the event all together. I am hoping it gets cancelled - I don't want to get stuck in Atlanta next week.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 10:56 am

Programs: HH D, MB G, IHG P, Nat'l EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ty97
Yeah, it's scheduled for a quick turn. Hopefully doesn't go tech and it should be fine.
Looks like they got it back out pretty quickly (DL 302).
Old Sep 6, 2017, 11:04 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles (Silver), AAdvantage, Sun Country, FmrUS Airways Dividend Miles, Northwest WorldPerks
They just updated the waiver for South Florida, The Bahamas, and Cuba to include most all of Florida. Travel must begin by September 30th.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 11:10 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ncSam
Looks like they got it back out pretty quickly (DL 302).
Pretty incredible timing by the Delta meteorologists. And expert flying by the pilot too. Looks like they managed to climb out of San Juan literally between the rain bands:

Old Sep 6, 2017, 11:12 am

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Key West

Looks looks Delta is operating a extra flight. 9915 which will help get people out. The traffic on US1 North must be massive bumper to bumper. Everyone on all the must leave today.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 12:02 pm

Programs: HH D, MB G, IHG P, Nat'l EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
Looks looks Delta is operating a extra flight. 9915 which will help get people out. The traffic on US1 North must be massive bumper to bumper. Everyone on all the must leave today.
I'm sure it's awful. It was already bad Monday night when I drove north from Key West, and that's before the evacuation notice was in place.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by ncSam
I'm sure it's awful. It was already bad Monday night when I drove north from Key West, and that's before the evacuation notice was in place.
according to google maps at the moment, there's a bit of a backup in Islamorada and Key Largo, but otherwise 'clear sailing' by US-1 standards.

hopefully everyone packs a dose of patience, any bad accidents shutting down the road would be very problematic in this situation.

do you know if they're going to turn the southbound lanes around and allow all northbound traffic only?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.