Old Sep 5, 2017, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyerWx
Hurricane Irma Travel Advisories for Delta:

Delta Travel Advisory Hurricane Irma

Updated as of 28 Sep 2017, 12:45pm EDT:

Affected Cities & Dates

Key West, FL (EYW)

Travel Dates: September 20- October 12, 2017 (New travel must originate on or before October 15, 2017)
---

Turks and Caicos, TC (PLS)

Travel Dates: September 5- October 31, 2017 (New travel must originate on or before October 31, 2018 )
---

San Juan, PR (SJU)
St. Thomas, VI (STT)
St. Maarten, SX (SXM)

Travel Dates: September 5, 2017 - April 2, 2018 (New travel must originate on or before September 27, 2018 )
---

Albany, GA (ABY)
Atlanta, GA (ATL)
Augusta, GA (AGS)
Birmingham, AL (BHM)
Brunswick, GA (BQK)
Charleston, SC (CHS)
Columbus, GA (CSG)
Daytona Beach, FL (DAB)
Dothan, AL (DHN)
Fort Lauderdale/Hollywood, FL (FLL)
Fort Myers, FL (RSW)
Fort Walton Beach, FL (VPS)
Freeport, BS (FPO)
Gainesville, FL (GNV)
Georgetown, BS (GGT)
Havana, CU (HAV)
Huntsville, AL (HSV)
Jacksonville, FL (JAX)
Key West, FL (EYW)
Marsh Harbour, BS (MHH)
Melbourne, FL (MLB)
Miami, FL (MIA)
Mobile, AL (MOB)
Montgomery, AL (MGM)
Nassau, BS (NAS)
Orlando, FL (MCO)
Panama City, FL (ECP)
Pensacola, FL (PNS)
Punta Cana, DO (PUJ)
Sarasota/Bradenton, FL (SRQ)
Savannah, GA (SAV)
Santiago, DO (STI)
St. Croix, VI (STX)
Tallahassee, FL (TLH)
Tampa/St. Pete/Clearwater, FL (TPA)
Valdosta, GA (VLD)
West Palm Beach, FL (PBI)

Travel Dates: September 6-20, 2017 (rebooked travel must begin by September 30th)
---

TEMPORARY BAGGAGE AND PET IN CABIN FEE WAIVER
Delta has put a temporary policy in place to waive all baggage and pet-in-cabin fees for customers traveling to or from the following cities:
Brunswick, GA (BQK)
Charleston, SC (CHS)
Daytona Beach, FL (DAB)
Destin-Ft Walton Beach, FL (VPS)
Fort Lauderdale, FL (FLL)
Fort Myers, FL (RSW)
Freeport, BS (FPO)
Gainesville, FL (GNV)
Georgetown, BS (GGT)
Havana, CU (HAV)
Jacksonville, FL (JAX)
Key West, FL (EYW)
Marsh Harbour, BS (MHH)
Melbourne, FL (MLB)
Miami, FL (MIA)
Nassau, BS (NAS)
Orlando, FL (MCO)
Panama City, FL (ECP)
Pensacola, FL (PNS)
Punta Cana, DO (PUJ)
San Juan, PR (SJU)
Santiago, DO (STI)
Sarasota/Bradenton, FL (SRQ)
Savannah, GA (SAV)
St. Croix, VI (STX)
St. Maarten, SX (SXM)
St. Thomas, VI (STT)
Tallahassee, FL (TLH)
Tampa, FL (TPA)
Turk Caicos ISLS, TC (PLS)
West Palm Beach, FL (PBI)

When you check in at the airport, Delta will waive all baggage fees and pet-in-cabin fees for customers traveling to or from the above cities now through September 15, 2017. There will be limitations to the amount of baggage that an aircraft can carry, and some or all of your luggage may not be able to be accommodated on your flight. In that event, please ask the Airport Customer Service representative if baggage that cannot be placed on your flight can be accommodated on a later flight. Pets traveling in the cabin must be properly contained in accordance with carry on policy.
Print Wikipost

Hurricane Irma Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2017, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Delta is often more flexible than the policy states during these circumstances. Someone upthread reported a change of destination for no charge. I don't think your friend can go to Europe instead, but, if she called and explained she was really needing a beach vacation, they night be willing to send her to San Diego or something, given the circumstances. Worst case she will still have to pay the fare difference but they will for sure waive the change fee.
Thank you. I suggested she join us in Clearwater at a later date. I'll give her this information.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 9:18 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ORDPLATAA
Originally scheduled ORD-JFK-SAV on 9/10 and SAV-ATL-ORD on 9/13. Meeting got cancelled so not sure what the new dates for the meeting will be. Can I just cancel/refund now or do I have to wait for the flight to be cancelled? I don't want a travel credit since I don't really fly DL that much.
Delta really allowed a ORD-JFK-SAV routing? Or was it a broken fare?
Old Sep 8, 2017, 9:38 am

Programs: AA EXP (LT Plat 2MM), Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat75, UA1K
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
Delta really allowed a ORD-JFK-SAV routing? Or was it a broken fare?
Yup - and significantly cheaper than ORD-ATL-SAV.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 10:08 am

Programs: Delta
Traveling on award miles

We were traveling on vacation to FLL on 9/14 using our Delta award miles. Will Delta refund our miles if we cancel trip? We can't travel on any other dates in September.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by ORDPLATAA
Originally scheduled ORD-JFK-SAV on 9/10 and SAV-ATL-ORD on 9/13. Meeting got cancelled so not sure what the new dates for the meeting will be. Can I just cancel/refund now or do I have to wait for the flight to be cancelled? I don't want a travel credit since I don't really fly DL that much.
You should be able to cancel and refund now given the waiver

Edit - I misread the waiver and you might have to wait for the flight to cancel
Old Sep 8, 2017, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vera9433
We were traveling on vacation to FLL on 9/14 using our Delta award miles. Will Delta refund our miles if we cancel trip? We can't travel on any other dates in September.
Yes, they should

Edit- see my post above
Old Sep 8, 2017, 10:13 am

Programs: AAdvantage PLT
A worried trAAveller here...

Flying in to Florida from Hong Kong on the 13th, arriving in Fort Lauderdale on the 14th. HKG-BOS leg is on Cathay Pacific, BOS-PHL-FLL leg is on American. So far, American has issued waiver for everyone flying in/out of all the airports in Florida/Caribbean until the 17th. However, this itineary is a award booking so I'm not sure whether they're going to allow me to change reservation free of charge or not...

Then I have another (separate) ticket booked on British Airways, flying from Fort Lauderdale to London Gatwick on the 18th of Sept.

The only reason I'm visiting Florida before I fly out to London is to retrieve my belongings (that I left to my relatives in Florida). This trip was planned months ago and all the reservations (hotel, car rental) are in place (so far)

So my question is whether would it be ok to visit South Florida right after one of the worst hurricanes in US history have struck the state. I know hurricane Irma would've been well gone by the time I arrive (around noon on the 14th), but my concern is that there wouldn't be any store or restaurants that's gonna be open. And all the supermarkets would be completely empty unless stores' supply systems makes a quick recovery.

(btw the package I left there is quite bulky and heavy (65lbs), so shipping it over to the UK would be a financial disaster)

Other option I'm considering right now is to stay in Hong Kong or Boston and fly into Fort Lauderdale a day before my Fort Lauderdale-Gatwick flight, get my stuff, and then take off again to London.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by flyJAL
A worried trAAveller here...

Flying in to Florida from Hong Kong on the 13th, arriving in Fort Lauderdale on the 14th. HKG-BOS leg is on Cathay Pacific, BOS-PHL-FLL leg is on American. So far, American has issued waiver for everyone flying in/out of all the airports in Florida/Caribbean until the 17th. However, this itineary is a award booking so I'm not sure whether they're going to allow me to change reservation free of charge or not...

Then I have another (separate) ticket booked on British Airways, flying from Fort Lauderdale to London Gatwick on the 18th of Sept.

The only reason I'm visiting Florida before I fly out to London is to retrieve my belongings (that I left to my relatives in Florida). This trip was planned months ago and all the reservations (hotel, car rental) are in place (so far)

So my question is whether would it be ok to visit South Florida right after one of the worst hurricanes in US history have struck the state. I know hurricane Irma would've been well gone by the time I arrive (around noon on the 14th), but my concern is that there wouldn't be any store or restaurants that's gonna be open. And all the supermarkets would be completely empty unless stores' supply systems makes a quick recovery.

(btw the package I left there is quite bulky and heavy (65lbs), so shipping it over to the UK would be a financial disaster)

Other option I'm considering right now is to stay in Hong Kong or Boston and fly into Fort Lauderdale a day before my Fort Lauderdale-Gatwick flight, get my stuff, and then take off again to London.
I think you posted this in the wrong forum.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 10:24 am

I would probably plan to stay in Boston with the option to go to to FLL depending on how bad you want to be there. A ton of flights from Boston and you'll be able to easily assess whether or not you actually want to be in FLL.

There's a reason the state's population exploded around the time that air conditioning became affordable. It gets pretty miserable here quickly when the power goes out.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 10:29 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bcosinteno
Our latest forecast models have winds gusting up to 50 mph during the morning hours in Atlanta and as high as 60-80 mph by Monday Evening (I'm an aviation meteorologist btw).
This seems to be the really big question for all of Delta, if and when will Atlanta itself be impacted, and when are they going to issue a waiver for Atlanta.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 10:30 am

Programs: AAdvantage PLT
Sorry about that.
But this was like the only active Irma-related thread I could find. Weather thread AAdvantage forum is almost deserted (surprised considering the fact that Miami is AA's megahub and they have a huge presence in the Caribbean)
Old Sep 8, 2017, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sorry about that.
But this was like the only active Irma-related thread I could find. Weather thread AAdvantage forum is almost deserted (surprised considering the fact that Miami is AA's megahub and they have a huge presence in the Caribbean)
this thread seems to capture some of the info in the AA forum, but you're right it's pretty sparse http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-thread-2.html
Old Sep 8, 2017, 10:42 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Sorry about that.
Despite having a hub at MIA, AA has never really been a big player in FL. Delta has always served the most FL airports. Their Sky Club network is also the largest of any airline that serves FL with lounges at JAX, MCO, TPA, PBI, FLL, and MIA. Delta has a huge frequent flyer base in FL.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 10:49 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by PV_Premier

Edit - I misread the waiver and you might have to wait for the flight to cancel
I would be surprised if DL enforced this in the current situation. However, a phone agent would be required to handle this, and wait times are certain to be very long. If the flight has been cancelled, it should be possible to take care of the refund online.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 10:50 am

Sorry about that.
No worries, didn't realize that the AA forum wouldn't be abuzz with discussion on this.

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
this thread seems to capture some of the info in the AA forum, but you're right it's pretty sparse http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-thread-2.html
That's just crazy to me that looking at the AA forum you'd barely know anything was happening...Harvey or Irma.

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
Despite having a hub at MIA, AA has never really been a big player in FL. Delta has always served the most FL airports. Their Sky Club network is also the largest of any airline that serves FL with lounges at JAX, MCO, TPA, PBI, FLL, and MIA. Delta has a huge frequent flyer base in FL.
While very true, the DL forum had an active discussion on Harvey, and you'd be hard pressed to find a large chunk of DL FF's who call anywhere in TX home much less IAH.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.