Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Is anyone else making an "Eclipse Run?"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is anyone else making an "Eclipse Run?"

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2017, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Heading to Yellowstone/Tetons that weekend... Booked at T-330...
My SLC-PIH have been zeroed out for months for that weekend (and IDA etc are not any better).. looks like a lot of folks are heading in that direction...
Old Aug 3, 2017, 11:07 pm

Programs: Hilton, United, Gold DL
Live within an area that will be 95%, but didn't care and am going to Canada for the week the prior Friday.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 2:46 pm

I am doing an eclipse run. I purchased two one-way fully refundable tickets rather than a roundtrip and I just want to make sure there are no flaws in my logic. If both fully refundable, I really don't see any obvious benefits to booking a roundtrip. If things go south (weather forecast changes (I am not going if its going to be cloudy), irrops, etc.) I can cancel both tickets and get my money back. Once everything is a go, and I am fully committed, am I able to change my refundable ticket into a nonrefundable fare if the nonrefundable fare on the day of travel is lower (it probably wont be, but you never know)? This was the primary reason I booked one-ways. Anything I am missing?
Old Aug 11, 2017, 5:02 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, one-time United Plat, Amex Plat, Marriott Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, Bus Pass
Flying into pdx on Saturday. Going to a wedding (!) Monday morning in McMinnville, oregob, DURING the eclipse. (Yes, my friends are oregon hippies.) Then catching a Monday night redeye out of pdx.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 7:32 pm

Programs: DL Gold / AA Gold
Originally Posted by The Situation
I am doing an eclipse run. I purchased two one-way fully refundable tickets rather than a roundtrip and I just want to make sure there are no flaws in my logic. If both fully refundable, I really don't see any obvious benefits to booking a roundtrip. If things go south (weather forecast changes (I am not going if its going to be cloudy), irrops, etc.) I can cancel both tickets and get my money back. Once everything is a go, and I am fully committed, am I able to change my refundable ticket into a nonrefundable fare if the nonrefundable fare on the day of travel is lower (it probably wont be, but you never know)? This was the primary reason I booked one-ways. Anything I am missing?
You can't change. Just cancel and rebook. It will be an extra hit on your credit line before it gets refunded.

Originally Posted by koreanair720
Flying into pdx on Saturday. Going to a wedding (!) Monday morning in McMinnville, oregob, DURING the eclipse. (Yes, my friends are oregon hippies.) Then catching a Monday night redeye out of pdx.
PDX flights from Sat-Mon prices are crazy!!!
Old Aug 11, 2017, 8:54 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
I'm booked on a ticket to JAC. Arrive Sunday afternoon and plan to spend some time enjoying the natural beauty. On Monday I plan to watch the eclipse at JAC airport then catching my 12:45pm fight home. JAC hotels and flights are sky high!
Old Aug 11, 2017, 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by Austin787
I'm booked on a ticket to JAC. Arrive Sunday afternoon and plan to spend some time enjoying the natural beauty. On Monday I plan to watch the eclipse at JAC airport then catching my 12:45pm fight home. JAC hotels and flights are sky high!
Eclipse with Yellowstone backdrop would be spectacular.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 11:27 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, one-time United Plat, Amex Plat, Marriott Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, Bus Pass
Originally Posted by JohnnyRockets
You can't change. Just cancel and rebook. It will be an extra hit on your credit line before it gets refunded.

PDX flights from Sat-Mon prices are crazy!!!
rly? Bought mine several months ago for nornal prices
Old Aug 12, 2017, 8:37 am

Programs: DL 2.8 MM/PM, AA MM/GLD, Marriott LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
I live in Florida but now need to be in Houston on the 22nd.
Strategizing options to build an eclipse stopover (Nashvilke?) into travel plans
Hmm-just realized that a good friend lives about 40 minutes from Hopkinsville; time to touch base this weekend!

Last edited by pbjag; Aug 12, 2017 at 8:44 am
Old Aug 12, 2017, 5:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The advantage of having two refundable one way tickets rather than a refundable RT would be that if you had to make other arrangements for the outbound, such as another carrier or driving, missing the first leg would not cancel the remainder of your ticket. For the eclipse, for example, if you made a last minute weather related change and decided to see it a different location, you would still be able to use your original ticket/reservation to fly home. It gives you more flexibility, where the usual reasons for buying the RT would be to avoid the possibility of having to pay two change fees and to save money with RT fares that can be cheaper than two one ways. On international tickets, the total taxes and fees can depend on whether you book as two OWs versus a RT, including on award tickets.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 6:28 pm

Programs: HH-Diamond, Delta-Diamond
Used miles and booked Flight 2466 PDX to ATL. Should be sweet!
Old Aug 13, 2017, 7:19 am

Originally Posted by koreanair720
rly? Bought mine several months ago for nornal prices
Good for you. Bad for RM.^

Originally Posted by guller
Used miles and booked Flight 2466 PDX to ATL. Should be sweet!
Let's hope your flight path is directly following the eclipse. Just do the math to see roughly where you will catch it. Good luck^^
Old Aug 13, 2017, 8:19 am

Programs: HH-Diamond, Delta-Diamond
Originally Posted by JohnnyRockets
Good for you. Bad for RM.^

Let's hope your flight path is directly following the eclipse. Just do the math to see roughly where you will catch it. Good luck^^
Yeah, I used 320,000 miles to set up a 3 day trip (all first). I would be super bummed if I missed it.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 12:56 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles (Silver), AAdvantage, Sun Country, FmrUS Airways Dividend Miles, Northwest WorldPerks
My mom had considered flying CMH-ATL on the way to DAB picking up the 12:45 departure from CMH, which would've taken her through the path of the eclipse as it started and had her in ATL during its peak.

She eventually decided against it in case something happened and it didn't work out right.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by JSprague24
My mom had considered flying CMH-ATL on the way to DAB picking up the 12:45 departure from CMH, which would've taken her through the path of the eclipse as it started and had her in ATL during its peak.

She eventually decided against it in case something happened and it didn't work out right.
What was her alternative. If I still need to make the trip and likely miss the total eclipse anyway I would give it a shot. Even ATL isn't total but still more than CMH.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.