Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Is anyone else making an "Eclipse Run?"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2017, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL exDM MM

Another thread on this forum prompted me to look at airports served by Delta in the path of the Great American Eclipse.

I decided to travel to CAE. Arriving at 11:45 AM. Departing at 4:00 PM. CAE will experience 2:35 of totality beginning at 2:41 PM. I am thinking the top deck of the parking garage next to the terminal will provide a great view. Since I live in FL I avoid a long drive and the cost of two hotel nights.

I feel like that guy Carly Simon was singing about in 1972...

Old Jul 28, 2017, 3:54 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM
Keep in mind that your destination may be cloudy on that day, so it would make sense to consider alternate destinations in case your first choice forecast doesn't look good. For PM/DM this could involve an award ticket that can be redeposited at no cost 72 hours prior. Avoid mountain destinations as they tend to be cloudy--unless you can climb above the clouds, which would be glorious!
Old Jul 28, 2017, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Not really a run, more of a stroll. Into PDX, out of SMF a week later.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 5:00 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM
Headed to Nebraska w/ better half.

Staying in Lincoln, not sure where we'll be yet for actual eclipse (have a couple of towns staked out).

Hoping for decent-enough weather so we don't have to drive to far east or west.

p.s. I'd be wary a bit of the parking structure - if it has lights are automatic . . .
Old Jul 28, 2017, 5:14 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
For those with interest, there's also an omnibus thread in CommunityBuzz:

How about a US total eclipse DO?; Aug. 21, 2017; let's start planning!

and for those venturing to the southeast, there's

BNA eclipse get-together

and I'll also put in a plug for this the week before:

ATL mini-DO August 11-14ish 2017

(intending these solely as pointers to additional threads, not a suggestion to merge or anything! )
Old Jul 28, 2017, 5:54 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Good friend happens to have a cabin just outside of Murphy, NC which is in the path.
Flying into ATL on 8-20-17 and then on to SMF for work on 8-22-17.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 6:20 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
I'll be in ATL on Sunday night the 20th. Planning to rent a car and hoping for sunshine somewhere along the path within driving distance.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Family and me are heading to Missouri. Flying into STL and then driving south about an hour day of. Original plan was Columbia, but hotels have been booked for months and Airbnb cheap houses are running $500-$1500+ a night.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 8:52 pm

Programs: Delta, AA, Hilton
I'm fortunate enough to live in the path of totality (TYS) so no travel required. In fact I made sure to notify my manager I will be on vacation that day to avoid being sent elsewhere. Now if only the weather will cooperate. I'd give it about a 50/50 shot knowing Knoxville weather.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 8:57 pm

Programs: Blinged Out
Going to MYR that weekend- over 90% coverage.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 11:08 pm

Programs: Former DL DM and UA 1k, now a J class free agent (UA Gold, AS MVP Gold)
Will stay longer so it won't count as a mileage run, but doing BCN-CDG-LAX-SEA-RDM on AF/DL to catch it in eastern Oregon.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 6:43 am

Programs: Status Free
Originally Posted by apodo77
Good friend happens to have a cabin just outside of Murphy, NC which is in the path.
Flying into ATL on 8-20-17 and then on to SMF for work on 8-22-17.
i will be outside Murphy too. Small community called Unaka. My family lives there. Not flying, tough, driving from Durham.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
I am flying to Charleston for that weekend. I read someplace the other day that there are only three regularly scheduled flights that cross the path and one of them was IND-ATL on that Monday afternoon. Some airlines have extra sections to chase the eclipse but I don't know of Delta doing so.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by SeaHawg
Going to MYR that weekend- over 90% coverage.
How can you be satisfied with 90+ coverage when you are going to be so close?
Old Jul 29, 2017, 7:54 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
I'm making an eclipse run (via car) to the GSP area. May try to tie in a customer visit to BMW while I'm in the area.

Nice thing about driving is that hopefully I can adjust destinations to beat any possible clouds.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.