Old May 15, 2017, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Tentative schedule:

assume group drinking/eating throughout the weekend

all details subject to change, check back for updates

Friday 8/11:
landside:
Museum Surplus Sale (davetravels, sky303, CaptainMiles)

airside:
afternoon Sky Club crawl as people arrive (flight arrival info below)
dinner at OFS, time still being negotiated
after-drinks somewhere near the airport?

Saturday 8/12:
10am breakfast/brunch at the Hapeville Dwarf House diner side of Chik-Fil-A: https://goo.gl/maps/ij9yFdaxUTJ2
followed by Delta Museum (747 experience opens at noon)
Spondivits for dinner or late night drinks?

Sunday 8/13:
current proposal:
Fat Matt's BBQ 1pm https://goo.gl/maps/2vV7rQ2Yup32
followed by Sweetwater 2:30pm-4:30pm https://goo.gl/maps/nhjmDzS8A9P2
dinner -- ???
nighttime comedy show?

Monday 8/14:
ATL TRACON tour 9am-11am (note, ~25-30 miles sw of ATL airport)
***If you are interested in this please PM me your first/last name as they appear on a government-issued photo ID, as we will need to present these before the tour

carpool/rideshare from downtown somewhere TBD

Confirmed: Zorak, angra, lov2fly, ND76, Canarsie, MSPeconomist, sky303
-----

Interest list: (arrival time on Friday for coordinating Sky Club/dinner)

Zorak (Friday 15:49 DL1865)
gooselee+1
krazykanuck
CMK10
TheLifeOfA_NKCM -really strong maybe.
Angra
CaptainMiles - local (not flying in), need to be guested into SC (can guest into The Club at ATL, if we end up there)
ND76 (8/11/17: DL2604, arrives ATL 1150)
fsuj25 (8/11/17 hopefully around 5:30)
MemphisQueen +1
captaink
Lov2Fly
johnnywho - (Fri 16:24 on AA2255) a. need to be guested in
davetravels - Confirmed - arriving Thurs - overnite in Buckhead / N Druid Hills - anyone else? Then, museum surplus sale Fri AM - Airport meet-up Fri afternoon - then 7:26 PM flight to MEX.
kirkwoodj - Fri 20:55 on UA6104, guessing too late for club crawl/dinner
MSPeconomist (Friday 8/11/17 DL1551 arriving at 4:38 pm)
sky303 - probably will do the surplus sale Friday before the airport
shenanigans. Have club access, but can't guest.
ChiefNWA - have club access but cannot guest. Will fly in for the museum/747 exhibit Sat.
MEMLawGuy - Have short layover in B on 8/11: arriving around 4:30pm departing around 6pm. I do have guest privileges on SC access.
Print Wikipost

ATL mini-DO August 11-14ish 2017

Old May 2, 2017, 7:01 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
ATL mini-DO August 11-14ish 2017

Any interest in an ATL get-together? I'll be in ATL from 8/11-8/14 before making my way up to HSV/BNA for the total solar eclipse.

I'm taking a wild guess that there's a concentration of DL forum members in the area and that maybe some of you might even be interested in getting together for drinks/dinner/whatever...

At the moment my rough plan looks like:

8/11 Friday afternoon, for anyone arriving ATL or otherwise willing to finagle their way airside
- Sky Club bar crawl, possibly followed by dinner at OFS (although if it's up to me I've been to OFS a few times and would like to try something else, e.g. I hear good things about Ecco)
- and/or drinks/dinner outside somewhere. If just drinks, probably at the Renaissance Concourse since I'm staying there the first night

(this Friday should also be one of the monthly Surplus Sale days, although that's 9a-2p and "Shipping is not available on Surplus Sale items. This includes aircraft seats and furniture ... All items purchased at the Surplus Sale must be removed on that day.")

8/12 Saturday

- the Delta Museum is open Saturday 10a-4:30p (although it appears the 747 experience may only be open noon-4pm); group tours are possible if there are enough people, or just freestyle it

- thanks to a tip from Robbyb03, I investigated doing a tour of the Atlanta TRACON (A80) (~40 minutes south of the airport in Peachtree City), but the person I spoke with said they normally only do them Mon-Thurs from 9a-11a or 1p-3p

- tours at Hartsfield-Jackson itself are only given Tues-Thurs

but maybe some FTers have connections that can help with weekend tours and/or other DL-related activities if we get enough critical mass.

and that's really all I've looked into, aviation-wise. Was going to do some downtown sightseeing Sunday/Monday but open to other suggestions as well.

The Braves are out of town this weekend, FWIW.
Widgets likes this.

Last edited by Zorak; May 15, 2017 at 8:19 pm Reason: ATL tours are Tues-Thurs
Old May 3, 2017, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Well, I'm in.

I'll join for most anything on the weekend, and potentially Friday night depending on what ends up getting planned landside. Mrs. Lee will likely be able to tag along, as well. Jury is still out on taking off work on Monday, so if any DL employees or ATC folks are able to suggest or make-happen weekend activities, that would be pretty neat.

If it turns out we can't make anything DL or ATL (airport) related happen, I'm wondering if there's something cool we could get going at PDK, particularly if we have the right size group?
Old May 5, 2017, 3:54 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

I may participate in at least part of this weekend.
Old May 6, 2017, 10:41 am

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
I'm in Utah working until Sunday. So maybe around Monday but things probably winding down by then.
Old May 8, 2017, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Any other folks who are just interested? No need to commit yet, just wondering if we're going to potentially have a good sized group.

Even if not, any other good ideas for what a handful of FTers might be able to do on a weekend in ATL would be welcome. I know plenty of great restaurants (including some great holes-in-the-wall and excellent dim sum spots for Sunday morning), but I'm going to lose my FT street-cred and disclose that I might not be the best person to ask about aviation-related stuff in the area.

On the airplane front, I mostly just go to ATL and stumble on to a random M88.
Old May 8, 2017, 3:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by dinanm3atl
I'm in Utah working until Sunday. So maybe around Monday but things probably winding down by then.
Speaking only for myself of course I will still be around on Monday.
Old May 8, 2017, 4:17 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Gotcha. Could do lunch or dinner probably.
Old May 8, 2017, 4:46 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by gooselee
Any other folks who are just interested? No need to commit yet, just wondering if we're going to potentially have a good sized group.
Patience, gooselee.

I have a feeling that views of this discussion will increase starting tomorrow morning...
Old May 8, 2017, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Canarsie
Patience, gooselee.

I have a feeling that views of this discussion will increase starting tomorrow morning...
:stompsfeet: But I wanna know NOW!!

I'm feeling like I missed something. Is something happening tomorrow that I'm not thinking about?
Old May 8, 2017, 6:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gooselee
I'm feeling like I missed something. Is something happening tomorrow that I'm not thinking about?
Is tomorrow the next issue of the FT TalkMail e-newsletter?
Old May 8, 2017, 6:45 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Delta GM, Marriott Platinum Premier
I'd be interested! Definitely for friday and Saturday and my wife would be with me as well if that's alright. I love the idea of the tours, but don't have any special contacts.
Old May 8, 2017, 7:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Canarsie
Patience, gooselee.

Another mileage devaluation coming soon and ATL will be the last hurrah?
Old May 9, 2017, 9:57 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I wouldn't mind coming down as long as I'm free that weekend. I'll keep an eye on this thread.
Old May 11, 2017, 8:18 am

Programs: Delta
I should be in town that weekend and would definitely like to meet up. My last FT get together was a small one by LAX where we watched the flights come in and out while enjoying an In N Out burger. That was fun!
Old May 11, 2017, 8:24 am

Programs: DL FO 1MM
You can add me as an interested but uncommitted party

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.