Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Is anyone else making an "Eclipse Run?"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is anyone else making an "Eclipse Run?"

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2017, 8:29 am

Programs: DL Million Miler
Flying to Eugene. Booked it six months ago along with the 530am Amtrak that goes from Eugene (99% totality) into Salem on eclipse day, where the station is a 10 minute walk from the viewing party on the capitol steps; then the 330pm train back to Eugene, and flight back out the next day.

BUT Amtrak just CANCELLED the 530am train from Eugene (they replaced the train with a BUS, which might never make it to Salem given that I-5 is expected to be a parking lot) blowing up our plans . At first they said it was due to rail line work, but it turns out the Oregon DOT decided to use the train for an extra run down from Portland that morning - - that train sold out in a day.

Thinking of where to get a handcar: http://thumbs1.ebaystatic.com/d/l225...aa_C_7qigw.jpg
Old Jul 29, 2017, 8:43 am

Programs: Everything
I am based out of ATL. I think my entire office is playing hookie that day and driving up to the area of totality (2H north).

I am concerned about traffic jams on the 2-lane highways in the mountains.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 8:44 am

Programs: Delta Diamond 3MM, AMEX Delta Reserve, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
TYS based here as well. Blocked my calendar for the day and have already bought my eclipse glasses! My company owns a restaurant that basically at the end of one the runways, if you need a place to hang out. Totality at 2:33:54.5 pm!

Fingers crossed for good weather...

Originally Posted by Grogs
I'm fortunate enough to live in the path of totality (TYS) so no travel required. In fact I made sure to notify my manager I will be on vacation that day to avoid being sent elsewhere. Now if only the weather will cooperate. I'd give it about a 50/50 shot knowing Knoxville weather.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 11:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL exDM MM
Originally Posted by EarlVolFan
TYS based here as well. Blocked my calendar for the day and have already bought my eclipse glasses! My company owns a restaurant that basically at the end of one the runways, if you need a place to hang out. Totality at 2:33:54.5 pm!
Thanks for the invite. I looked at TYS... Arrival would be at 11:20 AM, which would be great for a long lunch. But the departure would be at 5:59 PM getting me back to MCO at 9:30 PM.

At this point I am sticking with CAE; 11:45 AM arrival. 4:00 PM departure.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 12:40 pm

Programs: DL DM; Hyatt Globalist; etc
I'm making a weekend out of it: JFK-BNA on Friday evening, coming back Monday night BNA-DTW-LGA after the eclipse.

Fortunately, I have a friend with a guest room in Nashville, so that's all taken care of. I booked the flight months and months ago with a 31 minute layover in DTW, hoping a schedule change would decrease that so I could go back direct. Looking like that's not going to be possible
Old Jul 29, 2017, 12:47 pm

My other half lives in Idaho, so I'll be going out there to see it - driving a little north for maximum viewing.

Rental cars out of SLC are outrageous, easy to justify flying straight into his little town. Kayak said rental cars up 1100%!
Old Jul 29, 2017, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by safigan
Keep in mind that your destination may be cloudy on that day, so it would make sense to consider alternate destinations in case your first choice forecast doesn't look good. For PM/DM this could involve an award ticket that can be redeposited at no cost 72 hours prior. Avoid mountain destinations as they tend to be cloudy--unless you can climb above the clouds, which would be glorious!
SWA is booking special eclipse flights:

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2017/0...om-denver.html
"On August 21, Southwest Airlines is offering three flights from Denver International Airport to watch the phenomenon:

Southwest flight 1577 Denver to St. Louis at 10:20 a.m. MT
Southwest flight 301 Denver to Nashville at 10:20 a.m. MT
Southwest flight 1969 Denver to Atlanta at 9:50 a.m. MT

There are also two additional flights out of Seattle and Portland.

All five flights will travel along the path of totality as the sun becomes blocked below the aircraft.

The airline will even give passengers special viewing glasses and “cosmic cocktails” on the menu."
Sounds OK if you have a window seat, but what about folks in center and aisle seats?

Considering SWA's no seat assignment policy, pandemonium may reign.

======================

Adding...

"as the sun becomes blocked below the aircraft" ?????

What altitude do you suppose they will be flying at?

Old Jul 29, 2017, 5:33 pm

Come to my home airport, GSP...29 min flight from ATL. Unfortunately, I am going to miss it...leaving for KRK on the 20th!
Old Jul 30, 2017, 10:51 am

Programs: DL PM
I'm another who is fortunate enough to live in the path of total darkness (Charleston SC) so I'm venturing all the way to my back yard that day.
Someone mentioned their whole ATL office playing hooky and driving north to be in the path of total darkness.... they've actually made the day a school holiday here so kids (and teachers) can experience it together with their families!
Old Jul 30, 2017, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ncwillett
I'm another who is fortunate enough to live in the path of total darkness (Charleston SC) so I'm venturing all the way to my back yard that day.
Someone mentioned their whole ATL office playing hooky and driving north to be in the path of total darkness.... they've actually made the day a school holiday here so kids (and teachers) can experience it together with their families!
Remember when school didn't start till after Labor Day?
Old Jul 30, 2017, 12:30 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Flying into Louisville and making a long weekend of it. Plan is to plot weather Sunday night and drive to the most favorable area in Western Kentucky/Tennessee early Monday morning.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 2:14 pm

Programs: DL GM/MM
We also heading to Charleston (SC). But via flight I-95 (although departing somewhat close to GNV!). Staying 4 days because knowing how things flying across the sky operate, there could be significant delays. Then a few days in Asheville so we can legitimately call it a vacation.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 8:01 pm

Programs: Blinged Out
Originally Posted by indufan
How can you be satisfied with 90+ coverage when you are going to be so close?
Family is there- coincidental haha!
Old Jul 31, 2017, 6:01 am

Programs: KLM Gold Elite (You can guess how long ago I lost this status!), LH Senator
LHR to EWR with Virgin Atlantic. Three days in NYC Then finally spent some miles for an award flight JFK - DEN couple of days in Rocky Mountains National Park before driving to North Platte Nebraska to view eclipse. Then another award flight DEN - LAS Before driving to LA to fly home. It's my 2017 Eclipse Adventure 😄
Old Jul 31, 2017, 7:39 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Road gridlock is predicted in many parts of the country. It is not an event that needs tickets, so officials really haven't a clue as to how many people will attempt to reach the path of totality. Cell phone towers expected to be overloaded with calls, tweets, Facebook posts and photos. Bring cash. Credit card networks may be jammed. Gas stations may run dry so keep tanks full. Bring water and food with you.

And although there will be many hours for people to get into place, then once it is done and gone, everyone wants to leave at the same time!

Out west, in Idaho and Oregon, it will be the height of the fire season. Emergency crews are worried about packed roads.

Be prepared everyone. This is not going to be a drive to the beach.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.