Search

Keeping DM after long leave?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2017, 10:33 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by hfly
Right, the same elite who was NOT competing the year before, so it makes no difference ultimately.
It most certainly makes a difference. If the OP flies zero miles in 2018, but then picks up on Jan1, 2019 with Diamond status, he's now consuming upgrades, GUCs, etc that everyone else would not have had to compete with until he hits his new various medallion thresholds.

In the "correct" scenario, he consumes zero in 2018 and nothing in 2019 until he earns the status back.

In your "no difference" scenario he consumes zero in 2018 and a bunch in 2019 before he would have re-earned the status.

He's clearly consuming more in the scenario that you claim is "no difference".

This sort of reminds me about the people who moaned about SKy Clubs being overwhelmed because of all the DM's that used them because they had free membership.....
Completely irrelevant
Old Aug 14, 2017, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes it was already obvious that that is the way you see it. We get it. What can I say, you have a certain kind of mentality and nothing anyone posts will have any impact on it.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 1:50 pm
pvn
Suspended

THat's like the most ironic post ever. You're objectively wrong, we've demonstrated how you're wrong, and you're just declaring yourself correct without even attempting to provide any reasoning.

And I'm not sure how it was "already obvious" considering I hadn't posted on this topic before.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 11:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes it's all zero sum, you are of course correct. A DM having their status extended for medical reasons will take away all of your upgrades when they come back the next year. Funny how this is not an issue for any other airline that does this in a publihsed or non published way.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 6:53 am
pvn
Suspended

What other airlines do is irrelevant to whether it "makes no difference".
Old Aug 15, 2017, 6:54 am
pvn
Suspended

I'm not even arguing whether Delta should or should not accommodate this sort of request.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 2:24 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
IIRC BA does something similar and I may have seen something about UA starting this.

Of course, LH has people qualify on two year cycles, so there would be less of an issue in that missing six months of flying in two years rather than one would make much less of a difference.

I wonder whether there are any creative status matching possibilities to at least give the OP SkyTeam ElitePlus (rather than just Elite as a one MM) in the interim if there will be a significant period with just FO status.
I believe, with LH, your spend has to be the equivalent of the purchase price of an A380, all in paid F, and all exclusively on LH, in order to earn that 2 year cycle of status though - or so I'm told by a friend who's hit whatever their super-secret "circle" or whatever is
Old Aug 17, 2017, 1:50 pm

Programs: Diamond Medallion, Delta Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by randidliyo
I was on medical leave for 6 months and did no flying at all. Now I've started back up and will be on my normal pace, but it will be hard to get to DM on miles and/or segments. I'll get there on spending, but the travel part will be hard. I wrote a letter to DL through the website but got no response yet. Here's what I wrote:

Hello,

I’m a Delta Diamond and have been one since the beginning of the Diamond program, before that I was a platinum and I’m a million miler. Here is my question. I was on medical leave from mid-January to mid-July of this year and it will be difficult for me to renew my Diamond status, but I will be “on pace”, i.e. my amount of travel and spending will be the same if not more, I just won’t have enough time. Is there something that can be done? Can there be some sort of challenge, i.e. fly/spend “X” amount by the end of the year to maintain Diamond status? What can you do to help me not lose my status due to my medical leave that prevented me from working and travelling.

Has anyone ever been in this position and been able to get some sort of waiver or challenge to keep DM status?

Randidliyo
I had a similar situation in that my wife had our child and for almost a year I flew very little to stay with her. Coming back I've found that DM just wasn't worth getting again. I buy mostly FCM fares on dl, american and united depending on which is most convenient. Being a DM simply doesn't have much benefit anymore.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 6:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond Million Miler, AA Ex-Plat, IHG RA, Marriott PLAT, HERTZ Pres Circle
Originally Posted by sdadept
I had a similar situation in that my wife had our child and for almost a year I flew very little to stay with her. Coming back I've found that DM just wasn't worth getting again. I buy mostly FCM fares on dl, american and united depending on which is most convenient. Being a DM simply doesn't have much benefit anymore.
Well I like DM and want to keep it. I'll get there on the spending which is what they should really care about, right?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.