Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Keeping DM after long leave?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2017, 7:42 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
I remember reading something about WN (Yes WN) giving someone who had some sort of medical issue that prevented them from flying a break and automatically giving them their "status" back for a year. I didn't even no WN even had status (I've only flown WN a few times) until I read this and looked up and found out that they had A-List and A-List Preferred. Why does WN need status when the entire cabin is FC!
Old Jul 25, 2017, 9:03 pm
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
I'm sorry but why is this request reasonable. It doesn't matter the reason you couldn't reach DM, you feel that you won't. Delta has no reason to give you what you want. Why should they. However perhaps if you were to fly as much as you can until the end of the year and then ask if they can just push you over the edge I understand but you are not entitled to anything. If they were to do this kind of think frequently...all these devaluations and lack of upgrades, etc make sense. If they're handing things out they can't afford to be giving all those benefits. I am sorry you have been having health issues and I do hope that you are able to make it by the end of the year
Old Jul 25, 2017, 9:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
OP is likely to be able to buy up to 10,000 MQMs at the end of the year, but probably not at a decent price. It might also be possible to buy some MQSs. IIRC these costs do count toward MQDs, although I suspect that any MQDs count for the year in when which the purchase occurred. IIRC you can still see the T&C from last year on delta.dumb, but not prices as they were personalized.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 10:37 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by LondonElite
I think it's actually a fair question and request. DL probably won't do anything but it doesn't sound overly entitled to me. BA is even giving people on maternity/paternity leave a break!
I agree.
If airlines actually cared about its customers he would have a fighting chance.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 6:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond Million Miler, AA Ex-Plat, IHG RA, Marriott PLAT, HERTZ Pres Circle
Originally Posted by LondonElite
I think it's actually a fair question and request. DL probably won't do anything but it doesn't sound overly entitled to me. BA is even giving people on maternity/paternity leave a break!
Yeah, I didn't think it was unreasonable. I actually got a call from someone at the DM desk and they told me to check back towards the end of the year and they'd evaluate my situation based on my activity over the rest of the year. Not unreasonable at all as far as I'm concerned.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 6:59 am

Programs: DL Gold / AA Gold
OP could apply/use DL AMEX Reserve card's MQM boost.

Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
I remember reading something about WN (Yes WN) giving someone who had some sort of medical issue that prevented them from flying a break and automatically giving them their "status" back for a year. I didn't even no WN even had status (I've only flown WN a few times) until I read this and looked up and found out that they had A-List and A-List Preferred. Why does WN need status when the entire cabin is FC!
They have a 'companion pass' which to few people is worth a lot.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 7:12 am

Programs: DL PM, Natl-Exec Elite, Hertz-President Circle, Marriot/Starwood-Gold, HHonors-Gold
Originally Posted by randidliyo
Yeah, I didn't think it was unreasonable. I actually got a call from someone at the DM desk and they told me to check back towards the end of the year and they'd evaluate my situation based on my activity over the rest of the year. Not unreasonable at all as far as I'm concerned.
I personally don't think it is unreasonable either given the situation(medical leave), but part of me would still be surprised if they just gave you back your Diamond status, without requiring that you meet the program requirements. It's worth a shot though because what's the worst they can say...No. However if they do, it is solely because your past flying history with Delta can be verified, it was long standing, it was top tier status, and because you can show you are on pace to return to DM status.

One question OP which I'm sure also makes a big difference....Did you make status through MQM's and MQDs or MQMs and the waiver? I'm sure if it has always been through the later, you will stand a much better chance.

Good Luck
Old Aug 13, 2017, 7:19 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Ledfish
I personally don't think it is unreasonable either given the situation(medical leave), but part of me would still be surprised if they just gave you back your Diamond status, without requiring that you meet the program requirements. It's worth a shot though because what's the worst they can say...No. However if they do, it is solely because your past flying history with Delta can be verified, it was long standing, it was top tier status, and because you can show you are on pace to return to DM status.

One question OP which I'm sure also makes a big difference....Did you make status through MQM's and MQDs or MQMs and the waiver? I'm sure if it has always been through the later, you will stand a much better chance.

Good Luck
Really? If the rumors are right that DL is about to end the MQD waiver for DMs, OP would seem to me to have a better choice if DM was attained by meeting both the MQM (or MQS) and MQD requirements. OTOH with rollover, there's an argument that no exceptions should be made on the MQM front, while being incapacitated doesn't prevent one fron spending money on a DL AmEx card, so there's no argument for a the OP getting a MQD waiver as long as $25,000 spend on a DL AmEx card suffices. IMO the biggest argument would be to give the OP some leeway on MQS requirements if that's how he/she has been qualifying.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 8:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond Million Miler, AA Ex-Plat, IHG RA, Marriott PLAT, HERTZ Pres Circle
Originally Posted by Ledfish

Good Luck
I got it by being way over on dollars spent and on segments. No waiver, no CC
Old Aug 13, 2017, 8:41 am
Original Poster

I got it by being way over on dollars spent and on segments. No waiver, no CC
By the way, while I was out, I got several calls from AA but not one from DL.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 11:52 pm

Programs: DL Gold / AA Gold
By the way, while I was out, I got several calls from AA but not one from DL.
AA extended your EXP for medical reasons? That is good to hear. ^^^
Old Aug 14, 2017, 1:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Many airlines have had (mostly unpublished) maternity or sick leave extensions, some have formalized them recently, but you often find that they have been in place, at least unofficially for some time (BTW LH HAD a maternity thing for many years, but got rid of it 4-5 years ago...yes they are on a 2 year cycle. Delta is generally not one of these airlines.

The OP is fully justified in asking for this.....but they will not grant it. BTW, zero sum people..........if someone really is not flying for a year, that is NOT number inflation in any way shape or form. If they are not flying, it does not effect you in the least bit, and if they have their benefits a year later...............it is the same benefits just pushed off for a year.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 4:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JohnnyRockets
AA extended your EXP for medical reasons? That is good to hear. ^^^
No, they noticed that I wasn't flying and celled to find out why.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 4:45 am

Originally Posted by hfly
Many airlines have had (mostly unpublished) maternity or sick leave extensions, some have formalized them recently, but you often find that they have been in place, at least unofficially for some time (BTW LH HAD a maternity thing for many years, but got rid of it 4-5 years ago...yes they are on a 2 year cycle. Delta is generally not one of these airlines.

The OP is fully justified in asking for this.....but they will not grant it. BTW, zero sum people..........if someone really is not flying for a year, that is NOT number inflation in any way shape or form. If they are not flying, it does not effect you in the least bit, and if they have their benefits a year later...............it is the same benefits just pushed off for a year.
However, it would be one additional elite competing for benefits in the following year, one more elite than there would otherwise be during that year.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Right, the same elite who was NOT competing the year before, so it makes no difference ultimately. This sort of reminds me about the people who moaned about SKy Clubs being overwhelmed because of all the DM's that used them because they had free membership.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.