Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Sky Club doesn't seem to be very pleasurable experience these days

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Sky Club doesn't seem to be very pleasurable experience these days

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2017, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
Because Delta is a first class airline. As a lifetime SkyClub+Admirals Club+United Club member who also holds an Amex Plat (long story) Delta offers the best airline lounge program.
In what regard? Yes for paid domestic club access DL on average beats the AC and UC with the SC. But relative to a Flagship Lounge or Polaris Lounge, the SC falls a bit short.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 12:32 am

Programs: Delta - PM, HH - Gold, SPG - Gold, Marriott - Plat
Had breakfast in MCO in the morning and lunch in ATL-E and both were satisfying. I'll take eggs anytime and creamy broccoli cheddar soup was great for lunch along with a salad.

The fact that one of our three bags didn't make the plane in ATL wasn't great, but app had told me what flight it was one as we were walking to baggage so could go right there and put in "claim". Got delivered to our room in PHX by the time we got back from dinner so no problem.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 1:01 am

Originally Posted by jimrpa
There's a simpler answer - dedicated Delta One lounges - no travelers on partner airlines business class tickets, no guests of travelers, no Diamonds, no SkyClub members. If you can't produce a "same day" Delta One ticket, you get politely redirected to a SkyClub.

Drop them in Delta's major international hubs - ATL, DTW, MSP, SEA, PHL ( )

Problem solved. You're welcome.
If only it were so easy, its not like these airports just have open club space all over.
Originally Posted by kop84
The funny thing is when DL tries to reduce the crowding, either by making passes more expensive, eliminating some CC exceptions, eliminating destinations, etc...a lot of people here scream bloody murder.
exactly.
Originally Posted by pvn
Of course, without amex swipes the club would be a lot crappier than it is.
exactly again
Originally Posted by WWads
We're talking about a handful of clubs, at a narrow window each day. Sure, it's probably a hit, but nowhere near enough to warrant a return to how things were. Who's to say that the revenue wouldn't be made up by people choosing to buy memberships, or getting the Reserve card as a result of this change?
Question, does anyone here actually know the math on it or is everyone just assuming? (yes, sarcasm in that question.)

And wouldn't people buying membership due to your proposal increase crowding even more and cause the same problem? (and then ultimately ends up with people like yourself complaining and wanting more limitations placed?)
Originally Posted by cmd320
The only real solution is expansion. Attempting to limit the access of people who already have it doesn't work. They will just find another way to get it or take their business elsewhere.

That said, business/first class lounges should always be a separate product from a paid membership club. IMO the Qantas setup is one of the best models out there. For a business class lounge, packed or empty, the SkyClub is an inadequate product and does not achieve the industry standard.
As I said above, much easier said than done. Unless DL builds up, where are they putting a new club in say ATL?

What would be nice is two to three mid-size clubs like they did on B being added to A, C, D and E. The problem with this is that the building up idea costs a large amount of money and it is hard to justify the costs of more clubs, at a smaller size, vs the one large club per concourse.

and of course most of the clubs in the network weren't designed with the crowds of 2017 in-mind.
AA and UA both have separate lounges. Why doesn't DL?
AA has F class lounges and DL doesn't have F class.
UA has F class lounges that need a purpose since they are dumping F. Also, frankly UA is not producing the numbersDL and AA are producing and the management team there is desperately trying to find ways to get on DL and AA's level.

I imagine if DL had the assets they would probably do a D1 club. The issue is they don't have the space in most airports (no ex-BE clubs in LAX, SEA, SFO, DTW, MSP, SLC, JFK) and ATL which has the space technically, would mean cutting a much needed SkyClub out of Atlanta.

*not sure what happened to space in Boston that would have been a BE club. Also note, these are the only stations i see DL adding a D1 only club.
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Nature abhors a vacuum. And one must expect that DL abhors a club that is not filled to capacity.

Larger clubs would just mean that DL would search for other ways to monetize the practice of keeping clubs overcrowded.

Just keep in mind that the prime reason for the clubs is not to provide you a comfortable place to wait for flights. The prime reason is to generate income.

The current dynamics will remain so long as the concourse is a more miserable place to wait and folks are willing to pay for an escape offering incremental improvements.
lol. Yeah all of this is completely true.

*ignore the billions a year of capex DL is spending to improve the customer experience
Yeah, I'm surprised that DL hasn't mailed a $200 gift card to every resident of Seattle yet.

It's all about how much DL values that station, and/or how much competition they face. There's a reason why the MSP and SLC clubs are dumps. CVG is reasonably nice, but will probably never be updated again. Still has the Clown Room plaque at the entrance.
DL just renovated one of the clubs at MSP.

but this is just like aircraft updates. Its happening every year but DL can only reasonably do so much.
Originally Posted by rylan;28590311[B
]You know, some people are never going to be pleased with the skyclub unless its turned into something akin to a country club where you walk in and there are only a dozen other members and the staff knows everyone...[/B]

Its a US airport, what do you want? I think DL has done a pretty good job overall with the skyclubs. Sure there are locations that at times are rough and can be handled better, but most arent' like that.
annnnd exactly 3x
Originally Posted by DLATL777
Careful, its a US AIRPORT. Many of the best lounges in the world are in airports, just not in the US.
Go to an AF lounge in a city that isn't Paris in Europe and compare to a SkyClub.

most international carrier clubs are a complete joke compared to a Skyclub outside of a few key clubs.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 6:17 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
That renovated MSP F club is only slightly better than the old one. It's still cramped and overcrowded during peak periods.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 7:59 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
That renovated MSP F club is only slightly better than the old one. It's still cramped and overcrowded during peak periods.
I don't think you can even call it a renovated club. I would call it the old MSP club with a renovated food service area. That club really needs to double in size, or they need a 3rd club on the G concourse.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
I don't think you can even call it a renovated club. I would call it the old MSP club with a renovated food service area. That club really needs to double in size, or they need a 3rd club on the G concourse.
Totally agree, I wish with all the construction going on in the airport, there would be a way for DL to get something added on that would allow for a club somewhere in the vicinity of G17-22. Like if they could build one on to the Skyway that connects C to G.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Yes the MSP F club is often crowded, and is really just a large open area with a sea of chairs. I prefer the C location, however my gates tend to be in the G or F area or with a connection that doesn't allow a visit due to the time required to transit concourses.

Agree they could use another one in the G13+ area.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
I think the food has improved a lot in the past couple years and I'm grateful they got rid of the awful Gordon's and overcrowding isn't as big of an issue since they eliminated guesting for Am Ex card holders and diamonds.

My big complaint is lack of outlets at a lot of clubs to get work done and overcrowding at peak flight times. 5 p.m. at DTW main and it is hard to find a seat let alone one with a power outlet. I had a three hour layover at MSP a few weeks ago and went to the C lounge first and it was realy crowded and I asked the attendant if the other lounge would be better and she said there were literally no seats there and to stay at the C lounge for at least an hour before moving over (My flight was to LHR so the other lounge was closer but C was by where my plane from DTW landed). I was lucky enough to get one of the seats at the counter with power because someone was just leaving but there were only a couple other seats left and they were out of one soup and out of Bailey's.

During peak times I don't know why the SC doesn't limit access to skyclub members and international J and SP passengers and decline Am Ex swipes if the clubs are full. Alaska won't allow PP swipes during peak periods and there are reports of other airport lounges not allowing PP swipes if they are at capacity.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 10:02 am

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hertz PC
The club in MEM is great. Never crowded. Self-serve drinks. (Food, maybe not so great.) Great mesh chairs. I think I've mentioned the chairs on here before.

Hopefully they can keep the place open as DL continues to cut flights to everywhere but ATL.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 10:38 am

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Originally Posted by Dawgfan6291
annnnd exactly 3x

Go to an AF lounge in a city that isn't Paris in Europe and compare to a SkyClub.

most international carrier clubs are a complete joke compared to a Skyclub outside of a few key clubs.
Skyteam is horrific.

Most international carriers!? Not even close. How about you go to an EK/SQ/TG/CX/NH lounge?
Old Jul 25, 2017, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
During peak times I don't know why the SC doesn't limit access to skyclub members and international J and SP passengers and decline Am Ex swipes if the clubs are full. Alaska won't allow PP swipes during peak periods and there are reports of other airport lounges not allowing PP swipes if they are at capacity.
I have two issues with this idea, while great in theory...

1) We don't really know the ratio of Amex swipes vs. DM's, STE+, club members, J pax vs Day Pass/Amex swipes. Or how many AMEX swipes/day passes got to the club before it was full, and are still just hanging around after it got busy.

2) Imidiately after this would be anounced there would be a thread here about how much DL is trying to squeeze AMEX, how many people are cancelling their cards, how the club was NOT that busy when I was denied, and how when I complained about clubs being full, I didn't want DL to restrict the way that I use to get into the club!
Old Jul 25, 2017, 10:53 am

Programs: Delta PM
I have never had a problem with overcrowding at SC's. I must be lucky

My major issue with SC's is wifi. If I'm in a lounge I expect wifi speeds to be extremely fast (like around 50 mbps). ATL, CVG, MSP have long struggled with slow wifi speeds (barely going past 5 mbps).

We're living in a world where fast wifi is a necessity, not a perk. If DL realized that and makes a vast improvement to their wifi, everyone will be happy
Old Jul 25, 2017, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by Dawgfan6291

I imagine if DL had the assets they would probably do a D1 club. The issue is they don't have the space in most airports (no ex-BE clubs in LAX, SEA, SFO, DTW, MSP, SLC, JFK) and ATL which has the space technically, would mean cutting a much needed SkyClub out of Atlanta.

Didn't DTW use to have a first/business (or some other type of lounge) upstairs directly across from the center Skyclub? This was years ago when the terminal first opened in the NWA days.

I thought Delta had a J lounge a long time ago at ATL. I don't know they don't limit the F lounge to international J. Even if my international flight was going out of E I wouldn't have an issue with it since I use the F lounge a lot anyway when flying out of E because of the Skydeck and better food options.

I agree with you on the AF lounges. The one at TXL is a joke. Pre security in another building with no restrooms.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by Ber2dca
"Looking for a retreat before your flight?" (Delta)
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Ad agencies and advertisers work under the same common premise... that we are all gullible fools.
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
Yes gullible fools and obnoxious tools are the primary residents of the Sky Club.

I hope that you will concede that your post misrepresents the content of my post.

I made no assertions about the intelligence level of Sky Club occupants. If asked for an opinion, I would expect that a sizable percentage are actually too smart to be swayed by advertising.

My post did, however, address my perception of the attitudes that ad agencies and advertisers (not just DL) have towards their targeted market.

Consider the DL web page from which the "retreat" assertion comes:

https://www.delta.com/skyclub/purcha...Request.action

which displays a Sky Club bar with only three people at the bar and no line of folks waiting to be served. How often do you see a situation like that, other than at 10:45 PM when all flights are running on time and the club is about to close?

Or, how about the ads touting "priority boarding" for AMEX card holders. Ads that used to show a photo of a nearly empty aircraft and a PAX putting luggage into a similarly empty overhead. How many Zone 1 pax experience that?

So, back to the original topic... no, I don't regard the Sky Club to be the "retreat" that it is marketed to be. Better than the concourse. But, commonly, not nearly as good as the adverts depict it.

BTW... RWYA, do you happen to work in the advertising industry?
Old Jul 25, 2017, 11:48 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
In general I have had reasonably good luck with SkyClubs in terms of not feeling crowded and pretty much all the exceptions to that have been ATL. That said, I am sure a lot of it is that a lot of my travel is mid morning through mid afternoon and that is because I travel on my own dime and as general rule I find that the least stressful time to travel (and most likely to get places on time). The one SkyClub I find myself at late afternoon is DCA and there always seems to be room there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.