Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Sky Club doesn't seem to be very pleasurable experience these days

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Sky Club doesn't seem to be very pleasurable experience these days

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2017, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by apodo77
Am I the only one?
No.

If the limited FT search feature made the effort worthwhile, I could find you a dozen threads on this topic.

Compared to the Crown Rooms in the early days, Sky Clubs are glorified bus stations.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 8:35 am

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by jonathanbak
Roping off an area would be a simple thing for them to do, similar to what Centurion lounges do for their Centurion card holders. Although I am sure there are more D1 Passengers then Centurion card holders lol. I personally think though that them opening a dedicated D1 lounge would be the best option, it would also make d1 a more premium product.

I wish delta would add first class though to their international routes to compete with European carriers like lufthansa.
There's a simpler answer - dedicated Delta One lounges - no travelers on partner airlines business class tickets, no guests of travelers, no Diamonds, no SkyClub members. If you can't produce a "same day" Delta One ticket, you get politely redirected to a SkyClub.

Drop them in Delta's major international hubs - ATL, DTW, MSP, SEA, PHL ( )

Problem solved. You're welcome.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Fyi I have seen lounged put signs up when they are busy that they are not accepting passes or paid single entries.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 8:51 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
I've been in JFK T4 twice in the last two weeks or so -- July 4 connecting from a DCA flight to the KL 10 pm to AMS and on Wed, 7/19, arriving from PRG and connecting back to DCA on a 9 pm flight delayed to 1030 pm.
The concept of the JFK T4 club is great, and there was food, although the buffet looked like a pig trough. It is just too crowded during the peak European departure times.
After about 8 pm, things ease up, it gets quieter....
I wish they would shift the DCA flights back to T2 where they used to arrive and depart -- although the food in the T2 club is less elaborate, since the reno, I think the club is nicer, even without any views except the inside of T2.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 8:53 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by apodo77
Am I the only one?
Old Jul 21, 2017, 8:55 am

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jimrpa
There's a simpler answer - dedicated Delta One lounges - no travelers on partner airlines business class tickets, no guests of travelers, no Diamonds, no SkyClub members. If you can't produce a "same day" Delta One ticket, you get politely redirected to a SkyClub.

Drop them in Delta's major international hubs - ATL, DTW, MSP, SEA, PHL ( )

Problem solved. You're welcome.
The Skyclub is fine at SEA; they added a new one less than a year ago.

I don't like the Delta One lounge idea. Delta is great a putting fancy names on things; but what I think would be better would be for them to take 1% of the energy they use thinking up euphemisms and dedicate that to designing and delivering a quality lounge product.

PHL????
Old Jul 21, 2017, 9:01 am

The funny thing is when DL tries to reduce the crowding, either by making passes more expensive, eliminating some CC exceptions, eliminating destinations, etc...a lot of people here scream bloody murder.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 9:02 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by rylan
Fyi I have seen lounged put signs up when they are busy that they are not accepting passes or paid single entries.
I'm sure those are a small minority of SC users.

As I've said, I think the real problem is Amex swipes. I'm fine with them during most of the day, but during the evening international departures, or during IRROPS, they should be blocked.

That's a compromise that any reasonable person should be able to get behind. When flying D1, I shouldn't have to struggle to find a seat. Period.

Last edited by KDCAflyer; Jul 21, 2017 at 9:10 am
Old Jul 21, 2017, 9:18 am
pvn
Suspended

Of course, without amex swipes the club would be a lot crappier than it is.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by pvn
Of course, without amex swipes the club would be a lot crappier than it is.
Certainly, which is why I'm not advocating their elimination. Just some restrictions, and only at a handful of clubs.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 9:30 am
pvn
Suspended

Even restrictions would mean a crappier club.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 9:38 am

Programs: DL - PM
Careful with this. Once Delta reads it we might see the press release stating, "Customers have told us they want us to triple our annual SkyClub membership rates and eliminate access to Diamond Medallion members. But don't worry! As long as you spend $50K/year including a significantly increased annual fee on the AMEX Delta Reserve card you'll still have access."
Old Jul 21, 2017, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by pvn
Even restrictions would mean a crappier club.
How exactly?
Old Jul 21, 2017, 10:00 am
pvn
Suspended

Originally Posted by WWads
How exactly?
fewer swipes = less money
Old Jul 21, 2017, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by pvn
fewer swipes = less money
We're talking about a handful of clubs, at a narrow window each day. Sure, it's probably a hit, but nowhere near enough to warrant a return to how things were. Who's to say that the revenue wouldn't be made up by people choosing to buy memberships, or getting the Reserve card as a result of this change?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.