Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

New to Delta - Check in Required for Connecting Flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New to Delta - Check in Required for Connecting Flight?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2017, 10:38 am

Programs: Hilton Honors, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by sbm12
But can you?

The OP says "traveling to a meeting tomorrow" implying that the travel is all tomorrow morning. Seems very, very, very unlikely to me someone would write the 711/900 times and not mean a normal connection on the same day.
You must not be west coast based. There are circumstances that require me to overnight in a hub before continuing on the following morning to the final destination.

There are other times where I would have meetings leaving the west coast only to return to a different point on the west coast the following morning.

Funny enough, I get these every time I check in for these kinds of flights.

So once again, why I asked in the first place.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 10:41 am

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
Originally Posted by davetravels
Could it be that the OP checked in more than 24 hours from the departure time of the second flight and can't print a boarding pass for that reason?
I've never had this happen to me when I try to check in for connecting flights 24+ hours out.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 11:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by aviatorzz
You must not be west coast based. There are circumstances that require me to overnight in a hub before continuing on the following morning to the final destination.

There are other times where I would have meetings leaving the west coast only to return to a different point on the west coast the following morning.

Funny enough, I get these every time I check in for these kinds of flights.

So once again, why I asked in the first place.
I'll sometimes overnight in a west coast hub on the way to Asia rather than booking an early morning but tight domestic connecting flight.

I've always been able to do OLCI for the entire direction (less than 24 hour connection on an international itinerary) even though the later flights are more than 24 hours out.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
OP... have you tried calling DL?
Old Jul 16, 2017, 4:26 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by aviatorzz
You're being pretty obtuse. It would be better to just admit you didn't see the follow-up post where OP said 7:11.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 4:36 pm

Programs: Delta 1 Million Miler, Delta DM, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle
Though I don't think this is what's occurring in the OP's situation, I have had flights originating at an international outstation coming to the U.S. where the agents at the originating airport could not print the final boarding pass for the third leg home to my destination because that flight was more than 24 hours from the current time at check-in. However, like others have said, I've never had this problem in reverse (originating in the U.S. and having boarding passes printed for the entire journey, even when the third and final leg to the international destination is more than 24 hours later than the check-in time in the U.S.). Not sure what weird technical quirk makes this occur as the country of check-in is the only different variable every time I've had this occur.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 4:59 pm

Programs: DL, Marriott & IHG Platty; HH Diamonte
Originally Posted by davetravels
Could it be that the OP checked in more than 24 hours from the departure time of the second flight and can't print a boarding pass for that reason?
I've had something similar like that happen.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 5:05 pm

I fly delta a lot and the machines will print both tickets. If you need paper. Best is to get the Delta app and check in. Download both to the phone. You do have to show a boarding pass for the second flight (obviously). They can issue one at the gate if all else fails. You are checked when you board the first flight.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Was this booked through DL? Was it done on one ticket (not one reservation, but one ticket)?
Old Jul 16, 2017, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Was this booked through DL? Was it done on one ticket (not one reservation, but one ticket)?
Note, there was an equipment change from 738 to 73H. Dependinging on when checking in, may have run into it be locked to handle equipment change process.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 8:17 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
I've gotten a connecting information document once instead of a BP, but it was when the second leg was on KLM and there was a minor technical glitch that required a human to print the boarding pass. I think the best advice (sorted from all the unnecessary snark in this thread) is (assuming trying again doesn't fix it) to call DL in advance to see if it can be fixed remotely, and/or to get to the airport early and see if the second BP can be issued there.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 4:34 am
Original Poster

Thanks all, got to airport about 1.5 he before flight and did go to kiosk and was able to get both boarding passes. I was surprised with a gate upgrade on my first 1hr flight to comfort class

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.